Stupid question about college.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Are you supposed to take all of your books to class the first day?

Cause I have 7 books for 3 classes and I'm walking a not so short distance to the college. I'd prefer to not take them, but I don't know whether you are expected to take them the first day or not.

TIA :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Okay thanks :)
I know some of my friends aren't buying their books until they've had class, but when I went to the bookstore some of the books I needed had only a few used copies left, I figured I might as well just get them all in one shot.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
First day is syllabus day. Can skip it for the lower tier classes. Upper tier they start caring. Or rather, not so much caring, but they spend 10 seconds on the syllabus covering the parts required by law, give a spiel about grading, and go 'ya'll know the rest' and start lecturing.

Books aren't ever required except for math classes or classes that have quizzes that allow you to use your book (my physiology class did this). Generally it's expected that you leave them at home because that's where you'll be doing the reading/work.

And yah I haven't bought mine either. Experience gives you that little gem of insight when you buy a $160 book that the bookstore told you you'd need and the professor tells you that he's not going to be teaching from the book.

Luckily they accept returns for the first 3 days...

K

Kela

Never have to bring your books to anything in my experience. The occasional class will have a workbook that they want you to bring.

All you do on the first week is collect syllabuses. I would say you could skip it but theres always one teacher that does something ridiculous like gives you a quiz on the syllabus or tells you something that you just HAVE to know to pass and doesn't include it on any paper just to be a jerk.

I recommend buying the books as soon as possible so you can get the used copies. After classes begin, people will be running out and buying them and some stores may be sold out or only have the really expensive new ones left! Usually if you keep your receipt, bookstores will take returns up to 1 week after class begins.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah what they said. First day is usually syllabus day and even if they do magically start doing something from a book, someone in class has usually brought theirs and you can look. ;) Or say it's on backorder from Amazon or something and will be in tomorrow. ;)

I always waited until after the first day to figure out which books I *really* needed before I even bought them. So expensive. And some of my classes... textbooks were just sort of a formality and I never even touched them. Some classes just have textbooks for you to study from, and you never need them in class.

There was really only one class - spanish- that I really needed to bring my text book to class. Even my biology classes (my major) never required you to bring a book to class for any reason - just to study from them for the test.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Funny, I wondered the exact same thing the first day of college! :p lol In the end I just waited to bring things until I after the first day. Like everyone said, first day is just syllabus. boring! :rofl1:

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Usually, they tell you if they want you to bring your books the first day. Unless you are in law school, at which point they tell you what you should have read to be in class the first day! No need to bring the books, but definately go, so you know what to bring to class next time.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
it depends what class it is, but for the most part, no.

i usually took my books though, because i didn't live on campus and i had breaks between classes. Good time to study ;)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Okay, thanks everybody :D

Like everyone said, first day is just syllabus. boring!
Gee thanks, now I really wanna go :lol-sign:

i usually took my books though, because i didn't live on campus and i had breaks between classes.
Me too, though I work on campus and have been filling in some of my breaks with work (another perk of being able to set your own work schedule!). Thankfully I have breaks around lunchtime so I can walk home, I didn't bother with a meal plan when I could just walk home.

Alrighty, I have class in 15 minutes, better get going! :)

Members online