Bad cat behaviour!

em&ollie

Cavalicious
Hi Everyone

I have a 6 year old cat named Annabell who just lights up my life. She is usually a sweetheart and well behaved but sometimes she gets into 'moods'.

Sometimes her pupils will become huge and she will run around the house acting crazy and jumping all over furniture, she also pounces at us when in these moods. This usually happens at night. She also likes to hide under the bed and pounce on your legs.

She likes to be close to humans but not in a snuggly way.. she will always try to be in the same room as me but she'd rather sleep in a little ball on the ground, end of my bed or on the couch next to me but with a space. I'm fine with this but should a 6 year old cat still be biting? Annabell will just sit next to me and start licking me but nearly always she'll bite me! I don't do much, I just stop playing with her. Should I spray her with a waterbottle? That worked when she was scratching the lounge.

I love my cat but I want to find a solution to these problems! She's incredibly adorable (will try to include a picture when I get a chance) and shes very playful! She plays 'fetch' with hair elastics and will actually bring them back to me.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions would be very appreciated! :D

Actually I think it is a more common occurrance then you think. Many cats do this. I have 8 cats at the moment and about half of them do it. Lick, lick, lick and then bite. It is more of a nip though as it doesn't break the skin. I think it is just something that happens when they are overstimulated.

The crazy behavior, running around like a wildcat with eyes wide is just playing. Lucky she still has that amount of life in her and isn't becoming a lazy older adult cat.

Definately do not spray her for this. There are many people who are against spraying with a water bottle for any reason. I think it can work but people tend to overdue it or spray them for "bad" behavior which really isn't the cat misbehaving, the owner just misunderstands what is going on. She is not trying to harm you, like I said, it just happens, overstimulation. She isn't biting because of her age or because she wants to hurt you and it probably isn't even that she wants you to stop what you are doing. She loves it, she loves you, and to get her to stop would be to just get up and walk away and ignore her for a few minutes when she "bites" you.

em&ollie

Cavalicious
Oh really? Good, I thought I might have a 'problem' on my hands but thanks for reassuring me :) She is a great cat and we try to give her as much mental and physical stimulation as possible. At night she has a treat ball which she can use very well and she also sits for her dinner. Physical is a little difficult but she likes to run around and chase insects etc. I will try and include a picture as soon as possible but I don't get much access on the 'main' computer. Thanks again for the help AnimalLoverCatRescuer :D

Emily

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Oooooooo a Calico. Many cat afficionados often laugh about the "calico tude" You got yourself a bona fide Calico with the Tude. All Calicos are females you know. Just in case you didn't know that. As for the running around like crazy, this is very common for cats. They dissipate energy this way. If she had a pal, as in another cat, she might not get as pent up. But then again, sometimes you might see TWO cats running around like that. Also, you might notice she gets that way before a storm. I noticed that my cats are great meteorologists.

Seriously though, sometimes cats just get overly stimulated with petting and will find a way to end it. Watch her tail. If it starts to swish while you are cuddling her, chances are good she is getting ready to end the session. She's not being mean, she just realizes that the ole nip works for her with you.

makenzie71

Yeah having two cats can take a lot of the aggressive behavior toward people out of a cat, but then you get to deal with two cats being periodically insane and blazing around your house. One of the cats I adopted liked to wake me up in the mornings by "massaging" my face...it's always wonderful to wake to the feeling of claws piercing your skin, and the vacuum effect you get when they effectively pull that skin away from your cheek bone...lol. So I got another cat...problem solved but then they're both crazy and running all over the house.

as far as the periodic craziness Iwouldn't worry about it, but Iwould make sure that there isn't anything around the house she can get into. Pupils should be adjusted to light, not just big all the time. They should only be real big in the dark. That's the only thing you've listed that concerns me.

em&ollie

Cavalicious
A Calico? Lol I've never heard of them! She sure does have tude though and a great voice box :rolleyes: I wish we could get another cat, no chance though. My dad has decided he hates cats :mad: I'm also not too sure how she would get on with another cat.

Pupils should be adjusted to light, not just big all the time. They should only be real big in the dark. That's the only thing you've listed that concerns me.
Oh their not big all the time. The only time their big are in the dark or when she's 'crazy'.

So anyone care to explain Calicos a little more? Lol do I have a special cat? :)

em&ollie

Cavalicious
Hmmm :confused: I'll study her closely I've never really noticed. But she usually starts running around the house at night so that might be it because we dont' leave the ligths on in the loungeroom if we're watching TV. I think I've heard somewhere that cats pupils become larger if their excited, might be an old wives tale.

Boemy

A lot of cats do the wild, crazy thing with huge pupils, so I wouldn't worry about it. :) My parents' cat does it and so do mine. Since I have two, they go rampaging around the house chasing each other.

I also agree with the overstimulation thing . . . My parents' cat is the same way. Lick, lick, lick, bite.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Just like people, when a cat sees something that attracts it, its pupils will grow, lighting notwithstanding.

Sounds like a normal kitty to me. Calico is a color combo. Calicos have the three colors, black white orange, just like your little Lightening bolt. It's a gene combo passed on only to female kitties. A male calico just isn't done. lol.

Boemy

Actually, in very rare instances there are male calicos . . . I think they're infertile, though. :)

em&ollie

Cavalicious
Aww calico's are my favourite! Yours is especially pretty

Thanks everyone, glad to know Annabell is normal and everyone here is friendly and helpful! Also happy because I actually have a 'name' for my cat now (Calico) :D

It's a gene combo passed on only to female kitties. A male calico just isn't done. lol.
That is actually not true. There are many cases of male Calicos, Tortoiseshells and dilutes, as well as Torbies. But it is definately very rare and they are infertile most of the time. Only one I don't know about are Patched Tabbies...

Just like more ginger/orange Tabbies are male then female. This isn't as uncommon as tri-colored cats.

To the OP, I was going to agree too that it sounds like typical Calico attitude! Funny how just a certain colored cat, not a breed, can have such a reputation for being crazy and moody at times! I wouldn't worry at all about the wide eyed thing, that is exactly what happens in this playful mood you are talking about.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.