Think I've Lost My Mind....

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I got a fourth bird! :yikes:

I went to the exotic animal sale just planning to look. There was a Senegal parrot there, a 12 year male named Rascal. I know a bit about Senegals, but had not ever really thought about owning one. It turns out the birds owner is friends with my friend Ann, who was with me. We got to talking about Rascal. Apparently she got him a year ago from a woman whose daughter had owned him then gone off to college. His owner got him thinking a bird would be neat but had no bird experience and was afraid of him. She had never been bitten by him but really didn't hold him or anything, but would pet him and stuff.

She seemed sad to be selling him but she was living in an apartment and was worried he was too loud. So, since I apparently have the word "sucker" tattooed on my forehead, I bid on him and $225 later he and his decent sized cage are now in my dining room.

I honestly have no idea how handlable Rascal will end up becoming. He is by now a third hand parrot and I'm not sure how trusting he will be. It was already dramatic getting him from the carrier to his cage, but the only thing we can do is build his trust and go from there. This is a new experience for me, as Pickles and Kiwi went from the breeder to a small pet store where they were frequently handled then to our home and Yoda came to me from his breeder. Hopefully he realizes he's not going anywhere now. Got to get him on a better diet though, he's currently on Hartz seed mix, which is the Kibbles n Bits of bird food....that should be fun.....

crazedACD

Really? No pictures? Tsk tsk!

Haha..that's great! Congratulations! I've always liked Senegals, and I love the African parrots..they are amazing pets. I WILL have a Red Belly when I don't have so many birds ;).

Gypsydals

YEaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa another Senegal on the board. Just wait until he becomes comfortable in his surroundings. Can't wait to see pictures of him.

Gypsydals

Are Senegals anything like African Greys?

I've never wanted to have birds, but I have loved every Grey I've ever been around.
Yes and no. They are not as needy as greys. Like sally said they are much smaller, shorter lived. Being smaller they are not quite as destructive (meaning it takes them a bit longer to chew something up that a Grey would take), not quite as loud, but still quite loud.
Cleo is a big bird packed into a little bird body. She is like a perminat toddler. Constantly learning new things (especially things you DON'T want learned), and constantly getting into mischief. But on the flip side they can be old people, who like their lives just a certain way and don't like changes.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
AH , congrats and good luck , I recently got budgies and it has really awakened my love for the feathered.

If anyone knows good bird boards will you please pm me.

SOOOOOO , wheres the pic of this new fellow? I have to go google them , i am not very familiar with each variety.

ACooper

I hope you can build his trust and he's happy with you! I can't wait to see photos!

I tried for a few YEARS with Marty's issues. While I was able to over come a few, the man hating only intensified and couldn't be dealt with :( I ultimately rehomed him, for his benefit as well as my husband's safety.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I think I am going to take a very slow, hands off approach, hang out around his cage, and let him warm up to me in his own time. I think yesterday was very traumatic for him. When I gave him a pumpkin seed this morning by hand he snatched it and flung it down while doing a low growl...

Members online

No members online now.