Puppy Issues :-(

FG167

My Kelpie puppy is supposed to be coming to me from Oregon to Michigan. i had no idea that the breeder was 7.5 hours from an airport that would ship a puppy. Started to look at dog haulers, could not find one that was willing to go that far to pick him up. It was looking like I couldn't get him.

Then a friend via a GSD forum I frequent found out about my troubles and offered (she lives in OR) to meet the breeder and bring the puppy home and then ship him for me. She is fronting all of the charges and we will repay her. Amazing, amazingly wonderful person.

Now the breeder has been dragging her feet about getting the info we need to schedule the shipping and then she told my friend (as they were setting up where/when to meet THIS SATURDAY) that she doesn't want to drive out there, could my friend meet her during the day tomorrow. Well, my friend feels terrible, she works and can't do it. That is not her problem.

The breeder swore to me this was no hassle and she would do whatever was needed to get him to me etc etc and that the Saturday date was fine. Now we have to pay extra because we can't schedule the flight until I know for sure she is going to meet my friend with my puppy (which makes it a rush schedule). I feel bad my friend is waiting on her weekend plans to find out about the puppy...

This is TMI so don't read this bit - but the stress is making my IBS swing out of freakin' control (along with numerous other problems happening right now) and I just want my cute little puppy to get here! :(

/rant...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I totally feel you on that last part (((HUGS)))

Are you 100% comfortable with your breeder? This almost is setting off alarm bells for me...

Equinox

Good God, what an awful situation... I'd be extremely irritated in your shoes ("GIVE ME THE **** PUPPY ALREADY!").

I had no idea that Limit was coming from Oregon!! I really can't promise anything, but do you know whereabouts the breeder and your friend are, and which airport and where they plan on meeting? The only person I know from the forums in Oregon is Barb, I think, and if the puppy/breeder is in her area I'd definitely be able to drive a leg.

Equinox

Another thought is that again, if your friend lives in my area, and the breeder could drive out to where I am... I could hold the puppy for you, for a day or two. Don't know how or if that would help, but with the breeder's indecisiveness, if she's only able to meet up with your friend on one specific day, and that day doesn't work for your friend, I could hold the puppy for your friend to pick up when she can?

Assuming this friend is in the area. I'd definitely drive out and help more myself, but I don't have a car and my transportation is extremely unreliable if I need to go long distance :(

FG167

I'm comfortable with the breeder in that I'm not surprised. Kelpies are not popular in the US and they are almost 100% cattle-farm bred. These are not "breeders" that breed to put their dogs out there, they breed to get a pup to work on the farm. If that makes sense.

Another thought is that again, if your friend lives in my area, and the breeder could drive out to where I am... I could hold the puppy for you, for a day or two. Don't know how or if that would help, but with the breeder's indecisiveness, if she's only able to meet up with your friend on one specific day, and that day doesn't work for your friend, I could hold the puppy for your friend to pick up when she can?

Assuming this friend is in the area. I'd definitely drive out and help more myself, but I don't have a car and my transportation is extremely unreliable if I need to go long distance :(
Hey, I didn't know you were in OR :)

It IS Barb :D Isn't that awesome of her! She can't drive really long distances because of her RA. The pup is in Diamond, OR, Barb is in Portland, OR. Are you around or anywhere near that? Breeder does want to get pup there sooner rather than later. Breeder is going to Bend tomorrow and that's where she wanted Barb to go but that's not possible and it is not really Barb's problem that the breeder is being a stinker.

I'm not saying anything about Barb helping me on the home forum because I want to post a huge thank you thread with pics of Limit (along with the card I'm sending her) after (if?) he gets here. Just FYI ;)

ETA we are paying and are willing to pay any and all fees incurred in helping us!

FG167

Ok, just talked to the breeder. She is leaving Limit with her sister in Terrebone tomorrow. Then the sister is bringing Limit to Barb in Madras on Saturday. Does any of that come anywhere near you? LOL

Otherwise, perhaps this will work.

Tentatively getting hopeful.

I just want him here!

Equinox

Yes, I am! Me and Barb actually live in the same little city right outside of Portland, but have never met up or bumped into each other :eek:

Ugh, unfortunately I don't think I can get a car or a ride to Bend by tomorrow... I was hoping it'd be a bit closer or that I'd be perfectly halfway, but evidently life doesn't work like that xD If the breeder was willing with making a longer drive past Bend, I could drive 45 minutes to an hour to meet her, but can't take the car out for 3 1/2 hours on a weekday.

Gotcha on the keeping quiet part :)

Lyzelle

I'm 12 hours from Madras in Montana. If you need any help over the weekend, do let me know! I wouldn't mind driving to go get him at all. :)

Kinda sucks the breeder isn't being terribly cooperative! Hopefully he gets to you soon! :D

Equinox

Ah, nevermind, thought the sister was driving out to Portland to drop the puppy off at Barb's. So I guess she still has to make a drive out. Glad that it works out... not ideal but still works out? If I can get a car/ride to Madras and save Barb the trip I'll let you know. I don't work on weekends and have nothing to do than sit on my butt, anyway :p

Last edited:

FG167

I think it's still going to work. Right now we are thinking all is a go. Thank you for the wonderfully kind offer anyway though! How crazy you two live so close to each other!

Jynx

Falon I'm glad it's going to work for you! I know Barb is excited to meet a kelpie!
I'm interested in seeing how she pans out, I was looking at kelpies at one point, liked them! Nice compact dogs, not to big, not to small:)

Limit is a cutey:)
Diane

Equinox

I think it's still going to work. Right now we are thinking all is a go. Thank you for the wonderfully kind offer anyway though! How crazy you two live so close to each other!
So good to hear :)

LOL it really is crazy. The topic came up once when we were messaging each other a few years ago, and I can't believe we've never met! It's not a big city at all. She did mention that I should drop her a line when/if I tote Trent around at a UKC Confo show, though, so she could meet him. I'd love to meet her and the pups, too.

She is such a great example of the fantastic people you come across online :)

Members online

No members online now.