Goldendoodle questions

W

Whitedobelover

allergy shots are expensive LOL... my father takes them and they are 150 everyday he takes em..

yentna

bubbatd said:
Why would a puppy be in rescue ??
'Cause he has diabetes, so I assume the original owner, when he/she found out, didn't want him anymore.

And regarding allergy shots, Brad is usually fine with clariton or other OTC allergy meds, and he only had problems with dogs that shed a lot, while they are shedding, especially if they are dirty. Otherwise, he's typically fine. Short hair, non-shedding, or clean dogs he's ok, so hopefully wouldn't need the shots! But then, we've got good insurance, so if he needed them they might pay, and want a poodle or doodle to just minimize the chances.

bubbatd

I personally wouldn't take on a puppy with medical problems ..... it's bad enough when they develop them later in life. I feel sorry for the pup... but it's the breeder's problem .

yentna

Update

So, the rescue never got back to me, three weeks now. Two phone calls, one email, and the application. Brad and I gave up on Cooper, did several petfinder searches Thursday, and applied for seven dogs we were interested in. Not all at once, but applied for a couple, then when we heard back that they were adopted already or sick and unavailable for a while or whatnot, applied for another couple. Mostly standard poodles and a couple mixes. And, in TWO days we had seven rescues / shelters respond to us! If seven could get back to us that quickly, even just to inform us that the dog we wanted was unavailable, why couldn't that rescue get back to us? I'm very disappointed in them. :(

ANYWAY, good news, we've adopted a dog! His name is Jean Luc, and he's a Giant Schnoodle......I giggle every time I say that name! A schnoodle, who would have thought of that combination? But when we saw his picture and read his bio, we were sold. We were just doing searches for "standard poodle," and he came up right after we'd been told the last dog we'd applied for was already gone. I immediately emailed the shelter, and in two hours had the response requesting that I call for an interview. The next day, after an hour of rigorous interviewing, he was ours! Timing is everything, we were the first ones to apply that qualified! I'll post pics and a bio after we pic him up this weekend - he's in california.

P.S. He's healthy too......thanks bubbatd!

Fran27

Woohoo! I'm glad for you :) Can't wait to see pics.

But it sucks that they never got back to you about Cooper.

i do wonder why do all these breeders start breeding new "breeds" It is a sort of hype having a whateverdoodle?
some breeds should not be mixed together ..; and if everybody is already complaining about the "bad breeders, puppyfarmers" etc ... why getting them a new "market"?
i breed labradors, difficult already to get healthy good ones, as there are many genetic disaeses in the breed , so we do all sort of terst ... these been tested for what ......? checked for what ? any proof non allergic?

and YES i also run a retrieverrescuecenter .... most dogs we get in are the mixed ones ... so we are so afraid of what we will get in future .... the lab, golden etc doodles .... when they are not the flavour of the week anymore ... it is up to us to get them new homes ..... think twice! there are so many breeds already, why waiting for a new created one??
maybe something to thinka baout before rushing into a new (?) credated breed'?)

yentna

Thanks guys/gals! We're so stoked, already bought the food he's on (it's Purina One, so we'll wean him off that and onto something a bit better, doing research right now to decide what food), bought supplies, toys, etc. Leaving TOMORROW morning to drive to Cali and get him!

sylvia liebrechts: Yes, I think the doodle breeds are definately a fad right now, but it also makes me think of history when dogs were being bred for a certain sport, use, etc. I would think (but don't know) the Doodle craze started by someone genuinely trying to make more varieties of hypoallergenic dogs available and maybe with the hope of less likely genetic problems (though that's not guaranteed of course since the parents have genetic problems). Maybe in a few generations the breed will be more reliable, who knows. I'm not a fan of overbreeding of course, that's why we adopted instead of buying. Grin!

When we get back, I'll post more personal pics of Jean Luc - such a cutie!!!!!

Fran27: It does suck that the shelter with Cooper never got back to us. After three weeks, including two phone calls and two emails from me to them with no response, I sent an email telling them how disappointed we were. The general gist was:
"...yes, I know you are run by volunteers and I understand you're busy, but it's been 3 weeks with no response. How do you expect to find homes for dogs when you never get back to applicants? 7 shelters/rescues - one run by a woman all alone - got back to us last week within 24 hours. Please understand how frustrating it is to be constantly waiting for any word, not knowing if you needed info from us or if he'd been adopted, anything. A one line email updating us would have been so helpful. I hope in the future you can realize how important a human touch can be to applicants. Yadda yadda." It was a little harsh I guess, and I feel a bit bad about it, but guess what! 20 minutes later I got an email. They said they haven't even been able to go through Cooper's applications, he's still being fostered. To me, that says they are taking on too much to even be of help! It's a lofty goal to help dogs, but if they have too many to be able to find homes for, it defeats their purpose.

yentna

Here is a pic of our Jean Luc from his adoption site:

See those feet? He'll have good use for them in the snow out here this winter. :D

Last edited:

yentna

And another, look at that adorable face!

So I can't seem to get the linkage to my pictures working (they only work when the website is open even though it's up all the time), and for some reason it won't let me post an attachment of the picture. Sorry!

Real pics to come later.

Edit: I uploaded them to Chazhound galleries, so once approved should work, hopefully! I'll be back to fix it.

Last edited:

yentna

Okay, I've got it working, I think.....

Here's the cute face picture:

And here's the snowshoe for feet picture.

Phew! That took a while, grin. More to come when we get back from our road trip. :D

Members online

No members online now.