fousing with distractions?

Hello,

My dog has trouble listening and obeying commands like sit, down, and stay when there are distractions, particularly other dogs around. She is solid on these without distractions. Any ideas on how to get her to focus when there are distractions?

Thank you!

mrose_s

BusterLove
Start small and work up.
I'm currently going over everyhting with Buster.
For instance "focus" (look at me) I started int eh hosue alone, then in the backyard alone, then with the other dogs around, then on the nature strip with no one else around, now we practice it when passing cars, trains, kids or sometimes, people.
Eventuallyt he aim is that he will pass other dogs without reacting, but there isn't enough in it for him atm. The reward of reacting at the dog is bigger than looking at me.

Andyb016

I agree, the problem i had was unable to get my dog to ignore others when passing other dogs, he drag me allover. If you can get your dog to obey your commands when there is no audiance around they may think that its pleasing for you when others are around!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Strider had this exact problem, which did not work since he is training to be a service dog.

Has your dog ever taken a basic obedience class? That helped mine improve so much. It gives them a chance to work on proofing all those basic commands around a lot of distractions, especially other dogs.

One thing I did with Strider while we were walking is I made him sit for a treat whenever he spotted another dog. If he saw one from 100 feet away he would try to pull me over so he could play with it. If you dog's rear is on the ground, it cannot pull you. I also worked on a really solid "leave it" and a solid "watch me". I took really awesome treats with me (chicken breast baked in garlic butter), because for my dog that treat was much better than pulling towards another dog. You will have to experiment and find out what your dog is willing to die for ;) . As the other dog is approaching ask your dog to watch you, reward with the awesome treat, and after a while instead of pulling towards other dogs you dog should stare at you when there are other dogs around.

hotdog2007

Thanks for all the advice, and I'm sorry it took me so long to respond! We started an obedience class and have been practicing a lot, and I feel she is doing so much better, though we still have a ways to go. I have another question but will post it in another thread.

Members online

No members online now.