Past-date kibble

AmberD

I have fed food a month or so past its "Best By" date. I recognize that "Best By" is not the same as "Expiration," and even then, I will push expiration dates on my OWN food. I trust my nose better than ink to tell me when my milk is no longer safe, eggs are good for about a month past date, and boxed foods - lol there.

But I went to a local pet supply store today and found a pallet of Merrick foods 50% off. I almost jumped at the chance and loaded a cart full of it, but then I got suspicious and checked the dates - Jan & Feb 2014. Even for me, that seems a little... expired. The store employee brushed it off and said dog food was good 8 months past the date.

Any thoughts or opinions there?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
For whatever reason, I feel like I was told that expired is expired, because the expiration date is already a year (?) after being on the shelf? Or something. I don't know.

Regardless, I don't think I'd feed an expired food. I wouldn't be above mixing a cheap expired food with unexpired though, if money was tight. Just not for the sole source of nutrition.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I have an expired bag of dog food in my car that I use as treats. And like 6 cases of expired canned food that I use to stuff Kongs. But I probably wouldn't feed it as a staple, likely there's not even anything wrong with it I just woulx rather not.

Grab

If it were a few months past, I'd probably just mix it with my dogs' other food. I'd not feed something a year past the date, but a few months wouldn't bother me

AmberD

The official response from Merrick is "Since we use all natural ingredients, we do not recommend feeding any food past its expiration date."

Ok. So I asked them why a store employee told me that the manufacturer sends out past-date food to be cleared out and that the food was good 8 months past its expiration date. I also stated it was unfair that there were no signs explaining the reduced price was because of the foods being expired. Most customers don't think to look at expiration dates before they put the food in the cart.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I. . . fed my dog a moth today. And dropped some of his food in the dirt ad let him eat it.

If it were a few months past, I'd probably just mix it with my dogs' other food. I'd not feed something a year past the date, but a few months wouldn't bother me
This. Not worried.

I'd be more worried about feeding non-expired Merrick than another brand with fewer quality control issues that was expired by a few months.

crazedACD

The official response from Merrick is "Since we use all natural ingredients, we do not recommend feeding any food past its expiration date."

Ok. So I asked them why a store employee told me that the manufacturer sends out past-date food to be cleared out and that the food was good 8 months past its expiration date. I also stated it was unfair that there were no signs explaining the reduced price was because of the foods being expired. Most customers don't think to look at expiration dates before they put the food in the cart.
It's unethical and could be a really bad move for the store. If they sell you the food and your dog comes up sick from it, they could potentially be liable.

I definitely will feed expired dry food, within about 6 months. I wouldn't feed it consistently (one bag after another) because I wonder about the vitamins and such becoming ineffective? I don't know if there is truth to that but it sounds good in my head. If I open a bag and I get a weird feeling, the food looks funny or smells a little off, I chuck it no questions asked.

I did bring home some expired canned cat food a few weeks ago, it was maybe 5-6 months expired, I opened one can and it was ok. The next can, same flavor, I opened and there were these little white balls all in it...nope, threw it all out.

Members online

No members online now.