Winter Olympics Thread

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Please keep the heavy drama about Sochi outta here! Let's talk about the athletes, the games, and other fun Olympic positivity. A Sochi Drama thread can be started elsewhere. :rofl1:

Loving the Opening Ceremonies so far. Canada's outfits are awesome, very reminiscent of mounties. As an RCMP daughter, I approve!

Sadly, I feel that USA'a outfits are lacking. They look like bad Christmas sweaters. :(

Germany's rainbow outfits are so... Germany.

The dances and spectacles have been beautiful.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I haven't seen any of the opening ceremonies :( hopefully they'll replay it tonight on TV.

The Olympics have inspired a little geographical journey. Each day or every couple of days (depending on what we do and how into each country we get) Hannah is going to pick a country to learn about lol. First one she picked is Australia. It's been a fun day. We watched an instructional video on how to play the didgeridoo, a power point presentation of different sights and animals, we printed out a map and labeled all the states and territories, colored the flag (and then Hannah wants to color a second flag for how it would look if SHE got to design it lol) and then I'll be looking for a coolvideo about the Great barrier reef (if anyone knows of one. let me know).

I'm hoping tonight she'll get to see someone from Australia compete in an event or at least be able to record one for her :)

Excited to see what country she'll pick next.

Sorry, this had almost ZERO to do with the Olympics lol

Snark

Mutts to you
Well, for the record, I think Ralph Lauren should a) reimburse the USA for every hideous uniform ($1500! apiece!) and b) wear the monstrosity himself for the duration of the Olympics.

I heard the Olympics have added 12 new winter sports but what did they cut out to make room for these? I heard something about Pentathlon but that's a summer sport...

Assamiea

Canada's outfits are awesome, very reminiscent of mounties.
The Bay needs to start selling those coats NAO!!!

I found it so funny that before Canada came out there were a bunch of countries that had like 3 athletes a piece competing in the games and then Canada came out like "WE ARE THE GREAT WHITE NORTH. RAWR!!!" with our 200 athletes.

I loved the part that was themed after the night sky. So pretty with all of the skaters decked out in lights. Now if only the media could get light bulbs, door knobs and lobby floors. Lol.

Please keep the heavy drama about Sochi outta here! Let's talk about the athletes, the games, and other fun Olympic positivity. A Sochi Drama thread can be started elsewhere. :rofl1:

Loving the Opening Ceremonies so far. Canada's outfits are awesome, very reminiscent of mounties. As an RCMP daughter, I approve!

Sadly, I feel that USA'a outfits are lacking. They look like bad Christmas sweaters. :(

Germany's rainbow outfits are so... Germany.

The dances and spectacles have been beautiful.
Lacking? What were they lacking? I saw someone say, its like Ralph Lauren and Santa bear had one ugly love child :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I miseed th topening cermeony. Is heer a place toe wathc it online?

^^ drunk. srry.

^^ drunk. srry.
You should type more :)

Not sure about rewatching anything, but if you're a cable subscriber you can log in and watch streaming on NBC.com.

If not you can get a ISP masker and watch the BBC's free streaming of the events.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie

^^ drunk. srry.
Oh Laur. <3

NBC has pretty good coverage, but only if you're a cable subscriber.

They really need to follow CBC's example. Free streaming with periodic ads. The reach is incredible.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Haven't updated this!

I've loved watching the curling, hockey and figure skating. It was really had to see Pluschenko retire from the men's competition figure skating, but seems necessary.

So so so eager for the curling finals near the end of the Olympics. Hoping Canada will be there on both sides, and it's looking like they will be. :D

Go US hockey! Russia's a hard team to beat!

GingerKid

Haven't updated this!

I've loved watching the curling, hockey and figure skating. It was really had to see Pluschenko retire from the men's competition figure skating, but seems necessary.

So so so eager for the curling finals near the end of the Olympics. Hoping Canada will be there on both sides, and it's looking like they will be. :D

Go US hockey! Russia's a hard team to beat!
Well, Plushenko had already retired after Vancouver due to various injuries, and decided, after several knee and back surgeries, 6-7 months ago to come out of retirement for these Olympics. Probably Russia's lack of a male figure skater that could compete for the podium had something to do with it. He's going to skate professionally though!

I am surprised at how excited it was to watch the biathlon, and I can't wait for the bobsled. GO Jamaica!

Snark

Mutts to you
Exciting hockey game between Russia and USA. Way to go, TJ Oshie!!

Felt so sorry for John Daly in Skeleton, blowing his last run. Poor guy... and then to have a microphone shoved in his face. Geez, sometimes I hate reporters; give the kid a chance to compose himself! I think we can all guess how he feels...

Oh, and yay for Shaun White. Even though he didn't win any medals in half-pipe, he was gracious in defeat and then gave his snowboards to three kids from Make-a-Wish. Class guy...

Members online

No members online now.