Who would you trust more: veterinarians or nutritionists?

Nutritionists. Most vets don't learn anything about nutrition in vet school, to my understanding, other than what the supporting company (Purina, IAMS, Eukanuba) tells them.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Nutritionist. for sure.

Even as a pre-vet major, what we are learning in our program is already very very influenced by sponsors/donors (aka: hills and Purina)

As it is we get pizza parties, free gifts, back packs etc..
and *gasp* what we are taught is of course pointed toward funders of the program

We do learn quite a bit on our own, and a few of my professors do feed raw and teach that.. but for the most part.. ya, pre-vet/vet students don't really get much when it comes to nutrition knowledge.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
The sponsored-teaching has always been a huge turn off for me in trusting my vet. Especially when I see Hills stickers all over their office.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
The sponsored-teaching has always been a huge turn off for me in trusting my vet. Especially when I see Hills stickers all over their office.
I used to really blame vets.. but now, being part of the system (even as just a pre-vet student). I can certainly see how easily it happens.
The reps are really REALLY nice, we are all broke college students, the free stuff, the free food, all the "research" and studies.. it's all very convincing, .
hell, if it wasn't for chaz, I would probably be totally convinced! and certainly would've continued to be convinced after hearing it over and over from now til vet school

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I used to really blame vets.. but now, being part of the system (even as just a pre-vet student). I can certainly see how easily it happens.
The reps are really REALLY nice, we are all broke college students, the free stuff, the free food, all the "research" and studies.. it's all very convincing, .
hell, if it wasn't for chaz, I would probably be totally convinced! and certainly would've continued to be convinced after hearing it over and over from now til vet school
It's a tough thing to deal with, I'm sure. Even just reading studies, I am torn all the time. Studies funded by big name companies such as Nestle and Mars for foods such as Royal Canin and Whiskas and Purina. On one hand, I hate those foods, but on the other hand, I know those companies have the funding to do these studies and depending on what the study is, I can agree with it.

I have met vets that recommend great foods, too, but who will turn their nose up when someone says they feed raw, and advise against it. It always throws me for a loop, especially when the animal being discussed is cats. I feel cat nutrition often gets thrown to the back burner in general, though.

I have found a lot of veterinarians recently that seem to be paying a very special attention to nutrition. A few of them have said that in the veterinary community, nutrition doesn't get enough attention. I'm not sure how true that is in general, but the lack of information I can find on certain aspects of nutrition with vet backing can be weird at times.

It's no wonder the pet food debate is so strong!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have met vets that recommend great foods, too, but who will turn their nose up when someone says they feed raw, and advise against it. It always throws me for a loop, especially when the animal being discussed is cats. I feel cat nutrition often gets thrown to the back burner in general, though
That annoys me to no end. Feeding cats a GOOD diet is arguably more important than dogs, since cats are obligate carnivores.
Same with ferrets, the amount of times I've seen ferrets come into rescue looking like hell cause the are feed Whiskas or Iams...

Saeleofu

If i had to choose one or the other, a nutritionist hands down. However I think I have a pretty good grasp on canine nutrition as it stands, so unless my dog needed to change to a special diet for some reason (for example recurrent bladder stones) then I don't see why I need te advice of either one.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
It would really depend on the situation. If I had a dog where I needed a long term idea of a specialized food plan because of a medical issue I would probably use input from both the vet and the nutritionist.

elegy

overdogged
It would really depend on the situation. If I had a dog where I needed a long term idea of a specialized food plan because of a medical issue I would probably use input from both the vet and the nutritionist.
I'd say I agreed, but my vet would just have me call Hill's and have them tell me which of their foods I should feed. Sigh.

I almost died on Friday when our Hill's rep was in touting their new Grain Free food. Our receptionist was like "weren't you just in here a few months ago telling us how grain free food is bad and just a marketing gimmick?" and he was like "heh, well, yeah, but grain free is what people want to buy, so we're making a 'good' and 'healthy' version for them".

DEAD. JUST DEAD.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Definitely not a vet.

I mean, it's not really their fault, they're just going off what they've been taught.

When Juno had her first puppy visit and we were asked what we fed her, at the time it was TOTW... and the vet went on and on about how grain-free diets are just a fad, there's too much meat in there so if she develops an allergy how will we ever know what she's allergic to, there's nothing wrong with a "good diet of Science Diet or Iams." *Gaaaaggggg*

It varies though, I'm sure there are plenty of vets out there that are better versed in nutrition.

So yeah. When it comes to food, I will trust even the internet before I trust the advice of my vet. Which is sad.

Miakoda

It depends. True canine nutritionists are few and far between. I've actually spoken with a nutritionist who recommends Diamond dog food, some Science Diet varieites, and Black Gold. Ummm....all 3 of those are utter crap.

And I know several veterinarians that wouldn't touch the crap breeds with a ten foot pole, much less suggest their clients feed it to their own dogs. Not all vets are ignorant when it comes to canine nutrition. Coming from that field, I find it a little insulting to paint all vets with the same brush.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Right now, I'd trust my vet- the only foods they sell are holistic, and they have a big freezer in their lobby full of raw! If one of them had a medical issue and needed a certain type of food, I'd feel comfortable listening to their advice.

Typically, I'd choose the nutritionist if it's versus a normal vet clinic.

I've never asked either for nutrition advice- I've just done my own research. My dogs are all on raw.

Members online