HELP!! Puppy ate his own poop!

Nanners

Our 4 mth old Shih Tzu normally sleeps in the bedroom with us. We bring him out for his last bathroom break around 11pm and he's never soiled it until last night. We woke up to find him barfng some brown liquid that smelled absolutely putrid! My husband figured out he pooped and then ate it. Why Why Why? What would possess him to do this? Is it normal? What can we do so he doesn't do this again?

Fran27

Because it smells good for them. Lots of dogs do it, I was lucky mine didn't, but they loved cat poop.

There are some products in petstores that you can put in their food so that the poops stink to them. I'm not sure how reliable nor healthy they are though.

Irish

I know of lots of dogs that do this, I know it's gross. I have heard that it could be the food you are feeding. Apparently, some foods are not totally digested, so to the dog - it smells like dog food because technically it still is. But, I would ask your vet, (I'm sure lots of people on this forum will know as well) as I said this is what I've heard - I'm not sure if it is true. If it is true, simple enough solution to change foods! Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.