I'm in love with a dog I haven't even met yet

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, I'm just cruising along on petfinder.com when I see a picture of this BEAUTIFUL dog! She's a Brittany Spaniel mix. She has the most expressive face I have ever seen. I filled out an application, hopefully she is still able to be adopted. I'm in love with her and I haven't even met her yet. Does anyone know anything about Brittany's. I am going to do A LOT of research if I hear back from this rescue. I just loved her though. Good thing is she's already housebroken, crate trained, and spayed :D . My hubby will probably be mad if I go look at yet another dog but there was just something about her and her picture just made me want to meet her.

I've heard they tend to be very sweet tempered, easy going dogs, but you probably shouldn't take my word for it. I think mine are sweet, and Filas have laughingly been called 'alligators with fur!'

They really aren't though - they are quite sweet and lovely family dogs . . .

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah the foster said she was really sweet, still alittle active because she's young. But they said she's good with kids, and ALL kinds of animals. I have my fingers crossed but I doubt a dog like her will still be available.

Fran27

I'll cross my fingers for you, I was in the same situation last week. I love Brittany Spaniels too. I knew one when I was a kid and she was really nice, I was not so nice with her and she never complained, lol. I even stole and got rid of a chew toy she was playing with once, because she was irritating me, I still feel bad about it... I was 5 I think.

Let us know when you hear from them!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I called the rescue place today. They recieved my applications and are still considering me. They need to meet my dogs and see where we will be keeping the dog (if we rescue from them). We're probably going to be moving though so I don't want to bring them to this house (it has no fenced yard and the house itself is REALLY small). The suspense is killing me.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well the dog I like is still available (yeah). The adoption agency wants her to meet with our other dogs, and make sure they get along. I'm sort of nervous that Shelby's gonna get one of her additude problems but all I can do is cross my fingers with her. They also want to see the house that we are going to be moving into. They want to see the yard is fenced and that it's big enough to hold all the dogs. Then they want to have us spay her before she leaves the foster home. They said it's no problem if we want to bring her to stay in our house now for a short time before we move, but they will check up on us a week after we are suppose to move and make sure we really are where we said we would be.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, this weekend is the weekend we will bring our dogs to meet her. My fingers are crossed. Shelby has been being good since we brought her home so I think she will be ok. She usually isn't mean until after the dog gets in "her" home (we have some dominance issues to work out with her).

Saje

Island dweller
that's great julie. If shelby meets her outside of the home it will really improve their chances of getting along at home.

How exciting!

How is Shelby?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Shelby's doing ok, she's learning. I can't help but try and help her with everything though. I know she needs to do things by herself but I can't help myself. The vet said she is looking good though, he's got good vibes about her.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well we went to go see her this weekend. And she was a VERY sweet dog, but just not the dog for us. All the dogs got along great together just for some reason I didn't get the immediate connection with her as I did all my other dogs. Plus she wasn't as good with kids as the foster parents said. I think I'll try do a little more research on a breed before I jump into another dog as well, they were telling us about Brittneys and I was like "whoa! That is DEFINETELY not the breed for us!"

Fran27

You did the right thing then. I wish more people would do that!

So, are you going to look for another dog? :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yeah we're just gonna try and figure out what breed would best suit us before we continue any further. We probably will stay away from the bigger breeds and look for a nice small lap dog. I've been talking pugs with Showpug and I've been doing some research on pugs. Showpugs been doing a really good job at giving me breeders and rescues around where I live.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sorry it didn't work out, but you made the right decision not taking a dog unless you're 100% positive it's the dog you want. I'm sure the right one will come along.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yeah we might just wait a few years though and let our dogs mature and grow up a little more before we start considering another dog. I'm sure the right dog will come around for us eventually (they always do).

Members online