Thoughts on taking a puppy back to the breeder...

Miakoda

Im glad you made the decision to keep him. :) When you stated, that after Leo's death, you wanted Percy to become "like Leo", I think you were spot on. And you're not alone. I think we've all been there.

I know you're heart will slowly heal, but allowing Percy to be himself, and learning to love him the way he is, will help the pain of healing be a little less.

Just give Percy time with the leash training. He needs to learn and understand that the collar/harness and leash equals outside fun time to go exploring. So just stick with letting him follow the shots for a few days, and before you know it, y'all will be walking down the road with Percy strutting his stuff for all to see. :) The early days of bonding, building confidence, and building trust are much more important than walks on a leash.

Doberluv

Im glad you made the decision to keep him. :) When you stated, that after Leo's death, you wanted Percy to become "like Leo", I think you were spot on. And you're not alone. I think we've all been there.

I know you're heart will slowly heal, but allowing Percy to be himself, and learning to love him the way he is, will help the pain of healing be a little less.

Just give Percy time with the leash training. He needs to learn and understand that the collar/harness and leash equals outside fun time to go exploring. So just stick with letting him follow the shots for a few days, and before you know it, y'all will be walking down the road with Percy strutting his stuff for all to see. :) The early days of bonding, building confidence, and building trust are much more important than walks on a leash.
This, especially the bolded part. When I got my Doberman puppy, something the breeder said to me really made a mark on me and I'll never forget her words. She said, "Most of all, let him be a puppy." So, in other words, (to me) not to take anything too seriously, to enjoy his puppy hood and the things puppies do....with just a little guidance along the way, taking training in small steps, making sure it's fun.

Many of us have gone through the heartache of losing a beloved dog and some of us, many dogs. I know I have. It feels like you'll never be the same again. It's true, the dogs we lose can not be replaced. They're all one-of-a-kind. But with the help of other dogs, each...one of a kind too, we get to feeling a lot better as time goes on. And it's really a nice thing, I think, that the other dogs we have do have their own ways, own personality and surprise us with little quirks of their own. I think and hope for you, that while you're grieving Leo, you'll find peace, a bonding love and trust...and enjoyment from little Percy and that will give you strength to help you come to some acceptance of your great loss. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know the pain and I'll be facing it soon enough (again) with one of my little Chihuahuas, as she is really showing her age lately.

(((hugs))) I think you made a decision that you'll be really thankful for down the road a little ways.

Members online

No members online now.