Another Coonhound Question....

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I didn't want to hijack the blue tick thread, so I made myself a new one:D

I've always had an interest in coonhounds, but recently my friend rented some land next to a guy that breeds various types of hounds-he's had black and tans, walkers, redbones, beagles, and plotts out at his place--they are all kennel and/or tether kept dogs. These dogs bark like CRAZY. There are times when they will bark for hours while we are there. There is one individual that we have nicknamed "The Water Torture Dog" because his bark is so steady, consistent, and constant that it's like Chinese water torture.

Since experiencing this, DH says no hounds ever. However, in our situation we have 2 other dogs and live in town with a fenced yard. Any dog we had would be a house dog--going outside for recreation, exercise and potty but living inside with us.

For those that have lived with hounds/coonhounds, what is the noise level like? Are they normally constant barkers or are the above mentioned coonhounds just loud due to their living situation? Also, what kind of coonhounds would do best for someone who has never had a hound before?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I have only lived with the one coonhound in the house. He only howls if there is something to howl about. He has different howls for what he sees as friend or foe.

He is only left alone for a few hours at a time and on an irregular basis. During these times he mostly sleeps. I don't know if he would become a nuisance howler if lest alone regularly. As it stands he is quite popular in the neighborhood and I have taught him to howl on command to keep up with requests.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I"m with drmom on this one. We have a bluetick coonhound and while YES she IS a barker... she doesn't just bark non stop. She stays outside most of the afternoon and barks only a small portion of the time... unless there is a critter within her sight.

Right now I am up in canada and Brian is working all day so the dogs are left alone all day which is WAY out of the norm. but as far as he can tell there is no barking to be had. they aren't barking when he leaves and nothing is disturbed when he comes home.... for the most part they just take advantage of the opportunity to sleep in the bed.

So yes... Belle bays... but not at nothing and not just non stop. She barks when there is somethig to bark at... otherwise she just hangs out outside and even lays down and snoozes in the sunlight.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
No no no! You're supposed to say "they're horribly loud, all the time and they smell like elephants" or some such rubbish.

Because otherwise I've got no real good reason not to look into them further myself and once I do that...oh dear.

Kayota

No no no! You're supposed to say "they're horribly loud, all the time and they smell like elephants" or some such rubbish.

Because otherwise I've got no real good reason not to look into them further myself and once I do that...oh dear.
Lol! There are a lot of people in my mom's town that keep their "huntin' dogs!" outside, so they make noise. But only when I walk past with another dog... Which is every day. Haha. Also Sally, I love your name because I call Sophie "Silly Sophie" lol

Shamus

Most hounds are very social, so when they are barking it usually is a social aspect for them. " come here, come here, come here," I have found that hounds who are tied up all the time, bark more. I believe that a well socialized hound is less likely to do nonsense barking, meaning anything that moves or intrigues them is less likely to be barked at. Growing up in the city we had at any given time 3 working hounds in our back yard, running free range. ( Ticked my Grama off when they would get into her flower beds) Starting from a pup we discouraged any barking, and for the most part we were successful. Keep in mind that we used these hounds for hunting deer, and a hound that doesn't tongue would have been useless to us. The dogs would learn that back yard and house were no place for barking, however the woods were fair game. Usually we would have a mature experienced hound around to help the pups both with hunting and backyard etiquette.
I think the way to owning a good hound, is never let them get too bored, lots of exercise, and tons of love, which i guess in a nut shell is good for most breeds. I have personally witnessed several hounds that were not socialized, left to their own devices, become very destructive dogs, who bark and jump up all the time.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
They are likely barking because they are bored.

Bob, a bluetick coonhound at FOHA, actually hardly ever barks/bays. He usually only does so if he wants to get your attention. Cassidy, a treeing walker coonhound at FOHA, barks quite a bit when people are around, because she wants them to play with her. But when people arent' around she just lays down and chills out. She has "full speed" and "off". No other settings. :D

F

FluffyZooCrew

I have two, Bo my beagle, and Katie my beagle/basset hound mix. Neither one of them are extremely vocal or loud, and when I tell them "Quiet", the howling quits immediately. Bo only howls when he is super excited, like when we are going somewhere, when it's dinner time, or when he's outside playing. Katie is the same way, but is a little quieter and doesn't bark at dinner time.

My guys are *extremely* social, and thrive on human interaction and attention. They both want to be with me constantly, and love just going where I go. If left alone outside all the time, I know they'd be bored to death.

And contrary to some popular belief, they aren't dumb. ;) But can be hard-headed. But I don't find Bo either one of those things. I've been working with him lately so I can do AKC Rally with him, and he has picked up stuff so quickly. Heeling, sitting, turning, staying, ect. with hardly any trouble at all. I taught him sit, stay, come, rollover, and "up" (stand on his hind feet) all in less than a week.

I love my hounds. Katie was my first hound ever, and she's just an absolute sweetheart. I adore her, she's such a snuggle bunny. Bo was my second, and I was hooked on hounds after that. I'll always have at least one hound in the house in the future. Life would seem so dull without an occasional "AROOOOOOOOO" coming from the living room. :D

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
i have a little beagle mix

and the only time she ever howls is when one of the babaies are crying and then she just howls and howls until the babies are calmed. i find it hilarious and sweet.

i say go for it , hounds come in all sizes , mine is a beagle and chihuahua mix , 15 lbs and about 12 inches tall. great appartment size.

Pops2

Sally
before suggesting a breed or breeder of hounds to a newbie, i would ask these questions & their answers would lead to about 20-50 more.
do you plan to hunt the hound? if not why? if so, what do you plan to hunt? do you want to hunt for meat/furs, pleasure/sport, competition or some combination of them? what size acreage do you have to hunt on? are you prepared to spend the money to acquire the skills & gear needed to maintain the highest degree of safety for your hound?

F

FluffyZooCrew

Not everyone that owns a hound actually hunts it... some do have them purely for non-hunting pets. Mine are.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Sally
before suggesting a breed or breeder of hounds to a newbie, i would ask these questions & their answers would lead to about 20-50 more.
do you plan to hunt the hound? if not why? if so, what do you plan to hunt? do you want to hunt for meat/furs, pleasure/sport, competition or some combination of them? what size acreage do you have to hunt on? are you prepared to spend the money to acquire the skills & gear needed to maintain the highest degree of safety for your hound?

Well, I wouldn't say we are at the suggesting a breeder stage--it's just one of the types of dogs I'm interested in for sometime in the future.

I don't plan to hunt. I have nothing against hunting at all--I just don't know how I'd go about it. I would want to get the dog involved in something like tracking though. As far as doing what I need to to keep the dog safe--absolutely.

I would like to try a breed that is more of a challenge than a lab, but is biddable with other dogs and people. If I just wanted to just get a hound to have one, I could talk to my friend's neighbor--they have already offered me an adolescent plott, a treeing walker coonhound that wouldn't hunt, and a cure pup. However, I know that we would be new to this and they would be different than what we've owned (pit type dog and lab) and don't want to rush into something.

Pops2

Fluffy
that's why my first question was whether she would hunt it.

Sally
i understand some people just don't want to hunt. it's okay. the reason i ask that first is because most seriously hunt bred dogs are more dog than most people who want just pets are prepared to handle. for this reason i wouldn't suggest most coonhounds to begin with.
when you say you wouldn't know how to go about hunting, do you mean you'd like to but don't know where to start or do you mean you really don't want to? remember hunting doesn't have to mean killing. and it can be a fun competitive activity that will keep a dog really fit. if you actually would like to, it's just about finding you a dog hunter to mentor you. if you just don't want to that's okay too (someone has to do the gathering ;) ).
when you say tracking are you talking about competitive tracking? this is an activity that depends more than people realize on the trainer/handler similar to bloodtrailing.

as for DA & biddability i've had more problems from treeing walkers than anything else, that said there are good & bad dogs in everybreed.
i think you would be best served w/ showbred foxhound, harrier, or B & T coonhounds. But if you really want to try a field type dog then a leopard cur/leopard treehound (new UKC designation) would be your best bet for a good handle, strong drive & pleasant personality. understand that if you choose to get a UKC registered leopard treehound, you can only register it w/ the ALCBA (the parent club) if it actually hunts in front of a breed judge. regardless of pedigree they won't give full registration to a dog that doesn't hunt. but they are the best handling most consistant personality of all the treehound breeds. also although everyone uses the term coonhound, only certain breeds are actually coonhounds. the plott & the leopard weren't bred for coon. technically the plott is a bear DOG ( some are hounds & some are still curs). the leopard is technically an all arounder but was mostly a bear & cat dog before it became popular w/ coonhunters.

thehoundgirl

I know this thread is a little old, but I live with a hound and he is loud but I don't mind. If you don't like loud baying, don't get a hound. It's simple. ;) It takes a very special person to own a hound, especially a coonhound!!

If you have cats, I wouldn't recommend a hound to you. Maybe a basset hound, they aren't quick because they have stubby legs. Beagles can kill a cat instantly! Buster, our coonhound love our cats, we recently just got a new kitten and he doesn't hurt her, but he is VERY interested in her.

But hounds are NOT for everyone. Yes they are cute, but they have their quirks. You need to have a VERY secure fence. Luckily Buster is too hefty to hop the fence, he shows zero interest.

About DA it depends on the hound! Buster is some-what dog aggressive but not severe. Plus they follow their noses so they can't ever be off-leash even at a dog park, they see something they are gone, period. Even if you have a good recall with them, they see something that may interest them they get their heads stuck up their butts. :rolleyes:

But living with a hound is wonderful, you need to excercise them good though or they will just sleep all day if you let them. ;) I will have another hound someday, but not with 3 cats! There's a very awesome hound, Memphis where I volunteer, I wish I could take her home but she would eat my cats. :(

I forgot to add - Buster is a pet and is not a hunter. I wouldn't dream of him being a hunter lol I don't agree with it unless the dog enjoys it. If I have a hound in the future that dog will be a pet too. :)

They truly are big clowns, plus you have to manage their weight because they will TRY to eat everything in sight if allowed!!

When I was growing up - we had a beagle/basset hound mix he was awesome. :)

Pops2

90% of ALL dogs want to hunt SOMETHING if given the chance. they just don't always want to hunt what you want to hunt. out of the 10% a lot of those will run w/ other dogs that are hunting out of inherent social needs. you can't force a dog to hunt. either it does or it doesn't. usually the problem is they get deadset on hunting something you don't want to hunt. not a big deal in most southern states where pretty much everything can be hunted w/ dogs. the bear doggers just give their incorrigible deer runners to the deer hunters and so on. bigger problem in northern & western states where dog hunting is more restricted.

Members online

No members online now.