Sudden bad breath

One of my Dobe/Lab/Husky?? mixes, Molly suddenly has developed really nasty breath. She seems to be her normal nervous self. I took her to the Vet to have them look into it, and cut her huge toenails that grow amazingly fast. To me, it smells like trash/garbage. Of course, nobody could smell it at the vet's office. It's not the same smell my Yellow Lab pup had when he had hookworms (He apparently threw up the dewormer, since I know he had been dewormed a few months eariler at the breeder, but it's kind of the same thing. I kept complaining about how rotten his breath smelled, but they couldn't smell anything either, and they never found hookworms in the many stool samples I took them. Finally, they did find it, and the garbage breath went away the next day.

Her teeth are great, she saws through biscuits, pig ears, and rawhides constantly. She's not acting any stranger than normal for her, she's eating and drinking normally. Her thoat isn't infected, so the vet doesn't think it's Tonsils. He said the most likely thing is bad kidneys, but I've been around dogs with kidney failure in the past, and it's not anything like "ammonia breath". It seems to vary, sometimes it's horrible, sometimes it's barely there.

I'm going to watch her for the next few days and if it's not gone by Monday, I'll take a stool sample in and probably have the vet run her blood too.

Anyone got any other ideas??

Well, we kind of have almost all the trash dogproofed. Except for tissues and stuff, most of the trashcans are off the floor, or have lids, and it would be hard for her to get to them without it being obvious. Besides, she would probably knock it over, since she isn't THAT tall. Not like your dogs.

It has a slightly familiar smell to it, I can't describe it except it smells like spoiled bologna, sort of.. :rolleyes: When I went home in the morning, it wasn't that bad, but when I went to bed at 2PM (yes PM), it was pretty bad, and when I woke up, she came into the room, panting, and it was horrible. :eek:

King was next to me, and he picked up his head and sniffed the air, then got down and walked around her, trying to smell her muzzle area. She's eating fine as usual, not drinking any more than normal, and seems to have no problems peeing. I'm going to be totally blown away if it is a kidney problem, but I can't figure out what else it can be except that or worms. :(

Try this. Make a note of how long after she eats the bad breath starts. That will give you a little more information for the vet.

I'd also suggest getting her on some probiotics to help balance her system. And absolutely check out the article on yeast at www.greatdanelady.com.

bogolove

I have never tried this stuff before, but the people on my cat forum have reccommended this stuff and say it helps with different things. I believe one of the vets on my cat forum either developed it or at least reccommends it (if anyone knows different just let me know, because i don't know anything other than what I read on the site about it) They have it for dogs, cats, and humans, and it is called Spirit Essence. There are several different kinds, so you will just have to read through it to see if any may apply to this situation. Just read about it to see what you think. I have thought about getting one for my cat to try because she used to have a bladder stone so I was going to get her the urinary one. If you do try it let me know about it. I don't know at all if it will help, but hey I guess it is worth a shot.

http://www.spiritessence.com/?action=catalog&category=fed

Bigolove:

Well, we tryed this one before, when we were trying to calm her down a little:

Stress Stopper (formerly Serenity) ($14.95)

And other stuff called relaxation that the vet had.

Neither one did anything. nothing. A couple of Benaryl worked a little better and they barely affect her al all.

I'm beginning to think she's got something she's eating, as it varies so much..

It's storming today, so I might not let her out at all, and then I will see if theres any change..

Thanks for the suggestion.

Renee750il said:
Try this. Make a note of how long after she eats the bad breath starts. That will give you a little more information for the vet.

I'd also suggest getting her on some probiotics to help balance her system. And absolutely check out the article on yeast at www.greatdanelady.com.
Well, that's going to be a problem, she eats all the time, pretty much continuously as long as she's awake. No more than 10-15 minutes between food from the dish, pig ears, biscuits, peanuts (will annoy the hell out of you until she gets them), popcorn, etc. She eats so much it's amazing that not only isn't she fat, but she's a little on the skinny side. Only my Beagle in his old age could out eat her and not gain any weight.

I guess I could check all their "stashes" (King hides the Jolly Rancher Candy all over( he doesn't even really like it!), and Molly hides biscuits and pig ears in almost every room of the house) and hide all her stuff and not let her eat all day. When she was spayed was the last time we did it, and she was a basket case, and we got really tired of her looking at us and crying.

It's a rare thing when I'm not lying in bed and I don't hear her crunching on something at least once a day.

The longer this goes on, the more I'm convinced she's muching on something nasty outside. If I could just figure out what that familiar smell is, I know I've smelled it, or something close to it, before..

We looked into the Yeast deal before, when she started really getting bad with the scratching and stuff. I'll check it out anyway, Thanks!

Has your vet checked her for diabetes? I don't know why I didn't ask that before. When you said she eats all the time, though, and stays on the skinny side it popped into my mind.

No, she's fine as far as that goes, she's just squirelly. She would be drinking a lot if she had Diabetes. She hardly drinks at all, and she's not that skinny, just on the skinny side. I know what "ammonia breath(kidneys)" and "sugar breath" smell like and this isn't either one.

We have narrowed it down. A few days ago, her breath was fine, it was rainging and she hadn't been outside, so I know it wasn't some kind of poop eating. She was sitting there, staring at the peanut can, trying to get us to give her some, and she belched. WOW!! There it was, the horrible breath! BTW, she has always belched a lot..

I'm going to take a stool sample to the vet and see if she has any critters in her and see what they think. Hopefully, I can get her in there when her breath is really potent, so one of the people there can smell it. It was about as bad as it's ever been this morning..

I had a puppy with hookworms once, and this bad breath is about 5X worse than his was, but I'm thinking it's a good possibility it is some sort of worms. There are so many wild animals of every kind here, and who knows what she's eating out in the yard. I haven't seen any tapeworm segments in her turds, so I kinda doubt it. My last dog got them about every 9 months, and I always saw stuff moving when he did his bizness when he got them again. Creepy...

pitbulliest

yeah worms can be pretty nasty. I would definately go and check it out with a vet...don't delay as worms can get pretty bad and even difficult to get rid of it you wait a long time, not to mention..it isn't good for the dog..duh.. lol

LOL, We solved the mystery! After spending a chunk of cash on tests for worms, kidneys, etc, and everything coming up fine, I found the cause of the mystery breath yesterday.
I had just come home from the vet's where she got blood drawn and her giant toenails clipped, and Molly came over to me to get her chin rubbed. Her breath was foul, to put it mildly. I rubbed her chin and then she had enough and left. I pushed my glasses up and PHEW, my hand smelled bad. I called her over and held her while I took a close look at her teeth and on the left side of her lower lip, it was all swelled up. It was really red, and looked nasty. I took my "clean" left index finger and just kind of touched it, and took a whif. yep, that was it. She goes back to the vet this morning so they can look at it. I wonder if it's from a bite from one of the critters out back. It wasn't a skunk, but they might have gotten a Possumm or even a cat, there are tons of them around here, and come to think of it, about the time this started, they were in the back yard snarling and screaming about something, but I never saw it, and sure never smelled what it was..and thankfullly, no dead anything out there, since the last skunk was terminated.

I've had a lot of dog's with infections before, but never has it smelled like this...

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas everybody, I'm just glad she's ok.

J

JamesPeterson

You know whats good to get rid of a dogs bad breath? This is what I do. I give the dog some peppermint extract in his dog food. This give the dog minty fresh breath and also helps him with digestion. You know, kind of like an after dinner mint.

Renee750il said:
Now what's baffling me is how on earth did the vet miss it?
Yeah, I think they were embarassed about missing it. It looks like it's a "hot spot", AKA "lip fold Dermatitis". It's easy to miss actually, I didn't see it the day before when I rubbed her chin. She and King both have a place along the bottom of their lower jaw where the skin overlaps the lips (hard to explain, easy to see), and the canine teeth "park" when they close their mouths. It was pretty nasty looking after the Vet shaved the area, the hair was covering up a lot of what was going on. King's mouth skin is much "tighter" than Molly's, so he seems to be immune.

As soon as it got shaved and washed off with Peroxide, the smell was gone!
I still can't understand why it smellled like it did, my old Beagle had a huge puncture wound on his flank, with about a thousand maggots in it, and it didn't smell one tenth as bad as her mouth did, and her hotspot was maybe the size of a nickel, in total area.

The Beagle's deal was about the size of two packs of cigarettes. One day I was rubbing his back/flank area, he really liked it, and made all kinds of grunting noises. All of a sudden, a chunk of hair/skin about the size of one cigarette pack came off in my hand!! Yikes! He never made a peep, but I sure did. I was about 10 years old, and freaked. My mom washed off the flies and maggots with peroxide and we took him to the vet's and he pulled more skin off and he put something on the "pit" that killed all the bugs and washed it off with some yelllow stuff. He had us leave it open and wash it with peroxide every day and pretty soon it grew some nice new skin and peach fuzz on it. A few months later, the only thing about it you could see of feel was the hair was coarser over it, and there was a ridge around the patch that filled back in.

That dog had some horrible things happen to it over his lifetime, come to think about it. He impaled his foot on a stick once, had a really nasty couple of fights that took a lot of stitches, and had a huge tumor of some kind, benign, but really nasty looking, and amazingly fast growing on his back when he was 5 or so. It went from the size of a dime to the size of a tennis ball in two days. We had to wait until monday to take him in to have it removed, and by then it had tripled in size. My mom started crying, she was sure it was cancer. We took him in for the surgery and the vet finally calls us, a long time after he said he would. By this time my mom was a total mess. He calls and he tells her it wasn't cancer, just a very rare type of benign tumor. It took six hours to get the "root" out, it was attached to the top of his pelvis. He had a "pit" on his back the rest of his life where it had been dug out.

His daughter had the same thing in the same place years later. Her's was huge, but came out really easy, as it was just sitting on top of her pelvis, and wasn't attached at all. Even the vet was surprised she didn't have cancer, as it grew so fast. Same vet BTW.

King dove through, and then back into a window once and managed not to get a scratch on him. We didn't know he was gone until he jumped back through and heard glass hitting the floor. He was soaking wet, so he had been out for a while. The next time he did it, he sliced his back leg slightly, and I had to chase him around for 15 minutes before he calmed down enough to come to me. The third and last time I heard the crash and glass hitting the floor and went right out and he was gone. There wasn't any sign of him, so I started walking and after about 20 minutes of panic, I see him flying across the one busy street and almost get hit. Then he dissapeared and a few minutes later, runs up to me and sits in front of me. Needless to say, the windows are lexan now, and I put drapes up to keep him from seeing much, and from slamming into the windows if he does.

:eek: Bet you didn't know whether to strangle him or hug him when he got back! Amazing, isn't it; they know how to sit there and look perfectly innocent after they've done something they absolutely KNOW is just way beyond the pale. My girls are really accomplished actresses. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was pretty angry with him. I never expected him to be the one that jumped through windows, he's the calm one! If Molly had done it, I wouldn't really have been shocked, after all she lunges at anything that moves and is super territorial in the back yard, as far as animals and even other dogs are concerned. She got a possumm a couple days ago, killed it in about 15 seconds. I just looked out the window and it came over the fence and she ran over and grabbed it. I'm amazed at how good she seems to be at it now.

Members online

No members online now.