Dalmatians?

Sanas_K

I grew up with a dalmatian named Lilly. My parents didn't really research the breed, and they didn't give her as much exercise as she needed. My mom probably walked her about 2-3 miles a day... and she had free roam in a large fenced in backyard.

She was full of energy, though... nonstop. As a puppy, she ate the entire bathroom. She chewed up the moldings, the cabinets, the walls, etc.

She was a great dog... but dals are really not for everyone. I would only recommend them if you can give them the proper exercise/mental stimulation requirements they need.
I too grew up with my parents owning a Dal. I'm not sure if they researched the breed or not...but I know my mom just HAD to have one...I remember that my mom brought the adorable little puppy home and that cute playful little pup turned into a romping monster with too much energy for anyone to handle. I also remember that she loved to jump, and that once I was what she jumped on...I fell and cracked my front teeth on the concrete...so I suggest that if you have young kids, you might want to be careful...and keep your fences high, you'd be surprised how high they can really jump when full of energy or destined to reach a bird or cat on the other side. Also take into consideration any smaller pets you or your neighbors might have...my Dal caught and killed a few of my neighbors rabbits and some birds in her lifetime, had she been a tad faster a couple cats coulda lost their tails as well.

After a couple years though my dog started to have seizures, and the medication to control them calmed her WAY down, it was like she was a completely different dog. She became lazy even, and the most exercise she was interested in was spending time in the back yard...then again, my mom didn't really let walks be an option because whenever she tried to take the dog on a walk, the dog would pull too hard on the leash for my mom to keep hold of; at the end of a walk my mom would come home with blisters all over her hand and a sore arm. :(

Dals aren't for everyone...they're attention whores and need LOTS of exercise and proper training...but they can be extremely loyal, awesome guard dogs, and wonderful companions.

Last edited:
I had a Dal years ago, he was the reason I got interested in agility. I took a basic obedience class with him but he needed more mental and physical stimulation. :p I didn't think he was super high energy but then again I am pretty active and I LOVE my jacks and their energy level! :D

I agree with others that Dals make excellent jogging partners!:D That is one thing I really miss about not owning a Dal. They also shed like nobody business!!

Reese (my dal) was fear aggressive but he got lots better after getting into agility. I really do love the breed but they aren't for everyone.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
My aunt had a badly bred dal when I was a preteen-teenager. He got so huge, I almost wonder looking back if he was a dane/dal cross.

Either or, his fur even 10 years after his death was still stuck in couches.. No colour was safe with him around, as you go plastered in the fur that showed up the brightest on your clothing ;)

Sadly she was a twit, he was too powerful, and she never walked him (or trained him). So the only exercise he got was in the yard, generally alone. I know so darn much now, but I knew nothing about pets then.. Looking back I feel terrible for him.

He wasn't neutered, but surprisingly never attempted to roam, was unmannered and did knock me over a bunch of times. As he and I both weighed about 100 pounds back then.

He was one of my first long term dog experiences, and sadly I got the conclusion people who had dogs were weird. As it was obvious to me, that people owned dogs because they liked being jumped on, food stolen off their plates, endless barking.. Wasn't till Cider started obedience classes did I realize there was a whole other world I had never been exposed to.. As all my extended family had unmannered pooches.

Sorry I started to ramble ;)

Hillside

Original Twin
Either or, his fur even 10 years after his death was still stuck in couches.. No colour was safe with him around, as you go plastered in the fur that showed up the brightest on your clothing ;)
I grew up with Dals and even after 10 years I am still finding Dal fur on stuff I didn't even own when we had them. Plus I have moved 400 miles away. My dad ended up with a Samoyed after our Dals were gone and we were amazed at "how little Connor shed" compared to the Dals. :lol-sign:

All three of the Dalmatians we had were way high energy. Be prepared for everyone wanting to talk to you and your dog. (Seriously, I couldn't walk 10 feet without someone coming up. It was actually quite annoying when I was trying to get somewhere.) Dals are pretty protective as well. Our female was totally fearless. She didn't care how much bigger the other guy was, she tried to take on a bear once and cowed 3 GSDs much to the chagrin of thier body builder tough guy owner ( Keeping in mind at teh time I was 16 and 115 pounds and female and Phyllis was about 45 pounds.)

I don't know if it's an option for you but what I do with my dobermann is I walk him a few miles to this elementary school that has a huge field in the back and I let him run until he's tired out with a frisbee or tennis balls or whatever and then I walk him back. Knocks him out like a rock. You could also consider riding your bike with it.

Members online

No members online now.