What's your preferred method of exercising your dog?

What is your preferred method of exercising your dog?

• Walks

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Runs

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Your dog running beside a bike

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Flirt pole

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Dog park

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • "Playdates"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fetch in the backyard

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Just letting him blow off steam in the backyard by himself

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

LabLover95

Hi!
So, from these options: walks, runs, your dog running alongside a bike, dog parks, flirt pole, fetch (like in the backyard), or 'puppy playdates' with special friends, which is your preferred method of exercising your dog? (If your answer is one that I haven't mentioned, please excuse me and we can add it to the list!)
I like the dog park. Our dog park in our area is wonderful - probably about an acre or two with about 60% being very carefully manicured grass and the other 40% being densely treed area with lots of squirrels to chase :p. All the dogs have to turn in their medical records and immunization records before they can enter the park, and you have to pay $48 a year to allow your dog into the park. (Your dog gets a special dog tag that says "___ Dog Park" after that too :D .) All the dogs who go are regulars - so every dog knows the other dogs that will show up. There's kind of like the early crowd, the 11:00 crowd, the 12:00 crowd, 2:00 crowd, 4:00 crowd, etc. It is so awesome! There are also big benches in the shade for the people to sit in and big baby pools filled with water for hot days (for the dogs of course, not the humans!). There are also lots of really nice buckets filled with water and a horse on the property.
All that being said (and yes, I am very proud of my dog park so excuse my bragging!), I do take Mollie on some walks. She usually has 2 15-30 minute walks as well as a 1 - 1 1/2 hours at the dog park each day.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
We live in a fairly rural area and my family owns about a thousand acres + a decent sized lake. We try to take them down to the lake at least once a week. They run about 3/4 of a mile, plus zoomies at the lake/wading in the water.

They play behind our house everyday, which is about an acre non-wooded. We normally meet up with DJEtzel a few times a month for playdates, and either do a walk or go on a socialization trip. The KalHaven Trail is where we go for a lot of our walks, but I tend to frequent that more in the fall/spring as it gets very busy in the summer. I do like to bike with them as well, but haven't been able to much this summer unfortunately.

In about a year, we will be living closer to the lake again, which will provide us more time down there.

Sekah

The Monster.
My preference is off leash hikes in the woods. Off-road bike paths make wonderful dog walking paths and I'm lucky enough to have moved close by a great network of them.

If I'm tight for time, we do some frisbee/ball work at the park or vigorous trick training sessions. Agility class also serves as a walk at least one day a week.

I'm totally slacking off on exercising the dogs lately though. It's been too hot for Cohen to really want to exert herself, so she's becoming a skinnyfat.

SaraB

My dogs mainly get exercised through agility and disc. We practice at least once a day in either. Off leash hikes are common and swimming is common as well.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Off leash walking or training usually. Of course Mia gets tennis ball playing pretty much every day.

CaliTerp07

Lately agility has been enough to wear her out (thanks, heat!) but when it cools off and she gets her energy back, the dog park is a god send for such an energetic dog!

Leash walks would never be enough to tire her, and there is nowhere around here I can legally let her off leash to run, save for the dog park.

Hillside

Original Twin
Running with the 4 wheeler on his "grandparents'" 600+acre farm. That happens about once a week, other than that, my best friend owns a dog facility and we will go there and he will chase his exercise ball around in that yard or we play fetch/frisbee outside our place.

Toller_08

Off leash runs/walks. Preferably somewhere secluded/not a dog park, but I do take my dogs to dog parks regularly because I don't have a lot of other options. But we stick to ourselves in quieter areas. If I had a car, and a better sense of direction, I'd love to hike with them constantly too.

If I'm feeling lazy or crunched for time, I'll take everyone except Keira (who doesn't understand or enjoy playing with toys) to a nearby field for a game of fetch.

And it's not my preferred method, but I do like that my dogs can also wear eachother out in the yard together wrestling.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Swimming, always. Duke is true to his breed and loves water.

I go to dog parks a lot, but go around quiet times. I prefer off leash exercise over leashed anything, since that doesn't seem to really satisfy them. Both Duke and Boomer only really play fetch in the water. I'll play with the flirtpole for a bit in the backyard too, but that's mostly Boomers' forte.

But it's always sad when winter comes and they can't swim anymore. Since Pet Planet closed with the dog pool ($25 for 30 min) the only dog pool in the city (except for the sport vet) is 60 bucks! Which is a total rip off, so no thanks. 60 bucks for you to throw a toy in the pool, nope.

JacksonsMom

My lazy way? I ride the four wheeler at my dads house and he chases me along fence (he's inside fence, I'm outside of it, lol). That's when he truly gets FULL speed sprinting going on. And he loves every minute of it.

In the summer? Most of his exercise comes from swimming at my dads place (so I'm there like 2-3x a week) or fetching with the Chuck-It in the yard if I'm not at dads.

When the pool is not open, we do a lot of walking, I like finding pretty places to walk, new parks, new trails, etc. On average we'll do a good 4-5 miles. But in the summer walks are almost non-existent.

BostonBanker

Off leash running in the woods. Not much else truly tires Gusto out, and Meg especially just comes alive in the woods.

Usually in the summer they do a lot of running along while I trail ride Tristan, but it's been so wet this summer that pretty much hasn't happened.

I don't do dog parks at all; we have a few good dog friends that Gusto adores, so we will do play dates with them when we can. Agility a couple of times a week, some fetch. I leash walk them most evenings for my benefit, but it really does nothing to tire Gusto!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I voted "fetch in the backyard", but that really translates to "play in the house/yard". I would much prefer to talk walks if I have a dog that needs to burn off some steam, but Chloe was too reactive to walk while I lived with my parents, and currently there isn't a safe walking path that I can take to walk the dogs near my apartment due to traffic and narrow roads. Once Abrams is bigger and NEEDS to be walked I'll have to drive somewhere, but for now we just do constant indoor/outdoor play.

Hiking and biking. Sham likes to run with the bike, but it isn't as much fun as hiking. We found a new area so we have been getting out and hiking 5-6 miles every other day rotating through the others with Sham, since he is the only one who likes to go that frequently.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I said walks, but those translate to hikes for me. Always on leash for us, but sometimes long lead depending on where we are/if anyone's around. Not so much during the summer months, as parks get crowded around here, but in the winter I'm able to do lots on 20-foot leads. In the summer, the walks are really just to get some energy out so that training is a bit easier. That's really what tires them. They will generally only play little bits throughout the day, and almost never in the yard (sometimes I don't even know why I bother having a fenced in yard LOL). Jari, however, will get them to play more than they used to and will take turns going from one to another frequently hahaha.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
FRISBEE!! (Which was not listed :p)

I can't wait until she is old enough to go running with me! SO SO EXCITED!

Members online

No members online now.