The Venting Thread

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
No. Neuter is a general term. In common usage it's used for males, but it actually isn't just for males.

"Neutering, from the Latin neuter (of neither sex), is the removal of an animal's reproductive organ, either all of it or a considerably large part. "
Thank you for posting this before I could be a jerk because it makes me mad when people are all "noooo I'm right!" When they're wrongongongong.

That being said yes it's common to use the term "neuter" to refer to castration but as sael pointed out it really only means "without gender" (ie GENDER NEUTRAL.)

Airn

No. Neuter is a general term. In common usage it's used for males, but it actually isn't just for males.

"Neutering, from the Latin neuter (of neither sex), is the removal of an animal's reproductive organ, either all of it or a considerably large part. "
I never knew that. I've heard some people say neuter when referring to a female dog and I thought they were being stupid. (Which, in my defense they probably WERE and knew nothing about the process but now I know they weren't wrong.) Thanks for that. I like being educated. :p

Technically neuter is gender neutral, but in common usage it's become so associated with altering a male that I think it's likely its definition will change over time. Whaddya gonna do, "D'oh" is in the dictionary now. :p

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Untrue, there is female circumcision which is the partial or total cutting away of the external female genitalia, but it's commonly called female mutilation, how's that for gender sensitivity?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
reaching for dictionary definitions=/=real life usage :rolleyes:
That's a joke right? Because the definition of a word should dictate it's usage.
Otherwise you sound ignorant.

Whenever this stuff comes up I remember Joey from Friends.
"This is all a moo point."
"Huh? A moo point?"
"Yeah. It's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter. It's moo."

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
HAHAHAHAHAHA I remember that episode. he has a good point though.
I always remember it because my mom didn't understand how you say "moot" and said "mute." And I was like "...a what point?"
"Mute."
"...so it doesn't make any noise?"
"...that's now how you say it, is it."
"No, no it's not."

And then a week later I saw that episode and was like "HA! That's funny." LOL.

Alternate gif for this conversation:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
We could play this game all day!
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/castrate?s=t

Perhaps most important is to scroll down to the definition from the American Heritage Medical Dictionary.

My co-worker said the first time he heard "castrate" used in terms of a gender neutral process was on an episode of Law & Order. So Law & Order agrees too.
Law & Order.

Members online

No members online now.