bird cage ideas?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
anyone build a bird cage?

i want to get boo a bigger cage, but no money means no luck...been thinking about building one? anyone have any experience?

i was thinking of mabe modifying a small entertainment center or bookcase mabe...
like make doors for the front, and even cut out panels in the sides to insert wire there for ventelation.

any ideas and thoughts would be great.

Boo is a parrotlet and they need ALOT of space for their size, and now hes settling in and becomming more active.

the cage i have was donated to me and would be kept as an emerency/transport/travel cage, but hes not exactly realy enjoying comming out of the cage much so id like to give him more playspace in the cage incase he decides he never wants to realy be a people bird.

hmmm...

I have a Senegal and a Cockateil and hated the cages, so I converted an entertainment center. Took off the doors and lined the inside with peel and stick flooring tile so it would be easier to clean. Hung items from the inside roof and bought a package of those wire sets of cubes that are for kids/storage - they snap together - but I hung them singly in different configurations to make it more interesting. Picked up roll ends at the local paper and used it on the bottom so it's easily cleaned. I didn't put the doors back on as I had a parrot stand in front they would go back and forth to.

It's better than spending a ton of money on a big cage. Of course the areas on the front and sides took a beating as they weren't covered with anything and you know they are beavers with wings! Good luck.:)

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
personally, i'd cruise through craigslist and see if you can find anything... there are so many woods toxic to birds, especially one that chews, I'd be hesitant to put the 'let in there (not to mention it may eventually chew itself out). And it's a *lot* (can't be enough emphasis on that) better to be completely exposed to open air because enclosing the bird can cause all kinds of respiratory problems.

I researched bird cage wire before and it was just too expensive to build a cage with, unfortunately. Unless you're going for something REALLY huge. Like, the size of a room.

You can pick up 30"x18"x18" YML cages at a bird show for about $25. I've got an extra one here I'd sell ya if you weren't so far away. In fact, bird shows have a lot of ridiculously cheap bird cages, even used ones, you can get for a song.

Kathy29

I have the HQ flight cage for my own parrotlet and it's extremely spacious. So much space, I often have a hard time finding him! I did get it a few months ago, back when it was still $129 and a steal. They've increased the price since, to cover for the increase in shipping/gas. I'm not handy at all, so never even bothered looking up how to build a cage for birds, but seems like so many materials are toxic to them.

Do you have any pictures of Boo?

Just curious - what kind of cage is he in right now?

[Edit] Nevermind, just saw the pics you posted recently of him. What a cutie!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
lol, thanks Kathy.
i love the hq, but im currently out of work, he was 100% an acidental addition lol, he found me after a very long flight on badly clipped wings (from MA to lower ct/ny area)

ive made cages for my previous ferrets and my ratties with no problems and ive seen some very cool conversions, but upon pricing it its just out of my leuge right now, however i was lucky enough to have an answer to my craigslist add, Boo now has a 21" x 21" x 42" tall bird cage!, its one of those house shaped ones, but it also has a full opening door so i can reach everywhere in there real easy.

im sooo addicted ot him its a little nutz, now i want more lets lol.

ive been looking for bird faires ut havent found anything yet, if you knwo of any in the ny/ct areas id apreciate any details. id love to go even just to look around.

chanda

My cousins used to build their own bird cage from scratch materials like screens and some wood planks.

Members online

No members online now.