Showing a dog....

xpaeanx

I always thought that some day I would like to own and show a dog. I've been to a few dog shows(maybe 3), but I honestly know nothing about them. Can anyone tell me what they are like? Are there breed only shows? I would probably only do small shows and I would want to handle myself... so I don't know if that makes a difference... Is there a "prize?" What is the average fee to show a dog? What exactly do you have to train them to do... What is it like to be a handler? It's probably not something I would be doing in the near near future... but someday.... I'm just curious...

R

RedyreRottweilers

I always thought that some day I would like to own and show a dog. I've been to a few dog shows(maybe 3), but I honestly know nothing about them. Can anyone tell me what they are like? Are there breed only shows? I would probably only do small shows and I would want to handle myself... so I don't know if that makes a difference...
The single most important decision you make will be the breeder you get your dog from if you want to show.

The right breeder will 1) sell you a GOOD dog if you are sincere, and 2) Will mentor you and help you find the resources in your area to learn how to train and handle your own dog.

Dog shows are like most venues. There are lots of nice people, and some not so nice ones. Occasionally there are politics involved. Que sera sera. If you have a good dog, and you take the time and dedicate yourself to learning how to present it properly, you will do your share of winning, along with the inevitable losing. ;)

Is there a "prize?"
Sometimes, but not often. Money is very seldom given other than puppy sweepstakes at Specialty shows. Sometimes there are prizes such as dog related items, trophies, etc.

What is the average fee to show a dog?
At this time I find entry fees running from 23 to 26US per entry.

What exactly do you have to train them to do...
The short answer is the dog must be trained to stand in a stacked position and allow its mouth and/or testicles to be examined.

Beyond that, you have that indefineable SOMETHING that makes some dogs different. Call it charisma, ring presence, what have you. So this makes it clear that you need a well socialized self confident animal to make a successful show dog in most breeds.

What is it like to be a handler? It's probably not something I would be doing in the near near future... but someday.... I'm just curious...
LOTS of long hours and hard work in all kinds of weather. People expect you to win with their dogs when you are hired. As all occupations, it can be very rewarding, and very frustrating and difficult at times.

Do you know what breed you might be interested in?

xpaeanx

well I love my collie, so probably a rough collie. but being as I'm not running out the door to get a dog right now... who knows, in the next few years I may change my mind. I pretty much just love dogs. Some breeds more than others. The list of my fav breeds include:collies, rotties, aussies, dobies, GSP, GSD, kelpies, shelties and mini aussies. And I only want to show/handle my dog. I've wanted to get into it as more of a hobby, so I would only really be doing local shows. And by prize I really ment trophies or something I can put on my mantle to say "hey look what [dog's name here] won!"

How would I learn about handling without actually going into a show/owning the dog yet? do people let you "shadow" them?

Can anyone tell me what they are like?
Lots of fun, IMO. :)

Are there breed only shows?
Yes, there are breed specialties. I'm given to understand that typically those involve the best of the best. There are also some registries that only handle one breed, like the American Dog Breeders Association, which only sponsors shows for the American Pit Bull Terrier. I don't know if there are others like that, but that's one example.

Is there a "prize?"
Typically a ribbon. Sometimes a trophy. It all depends on the club and the event. Cash prizes are rare, but some clubs will hold raffles and 50/50s in conjunction with their show.

What is the average fee to show a dog?
Depends on the registry and club. In UKC in my area, our average fees are $25-28 for day-of-show entries, and $18 if you pre-enter. Some clubs will offer a weekend special, where you get a discounted rate if you enter all the shows, or enter more than one event. For example, at a show I went to in May, it was a $60 weekend special to enter all 4 shows. (2 shows each day.)

What exactly do you have to train them to do...
They have to stack (stand still in an appropriate position for their breed) and gait (jog at a steady pace around the ring). They also have to be comfortable with a stranger touching them all over, including their privates. Some judges will have you show the bite (lift the lip to show the teeth), and some will do it themselves. So your dog might have to be comfortable with a stranger putting hands in its mouth.

What is it like to be a handler?
Fun, exciting, a little nerve-wracking if you're a newb. It gets easier as you go along and learn what to expect.

Here's an article about dog showing in my breed. The pictures were wiped out in a recent hack, but the info is still good.

http://apbt.info/tiki-index.php?page=Dog+Show+Training

R

RedyreRottweilers

You could certainly try to find someone in your area who shows dogs who would help you. You can also look into handling classes. Many kennel clubs put on classes for reasonable fees to help people learn to handle their own dogs.

You might be able to find clubs near you on the AKC's website.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Hello! I'm Breawna. I haven't shown dogs to a huge extent, but I had done my research and brought my first show dog, a very flashy, fawn male Boxer with cropped ears and a perfectly docked tail to his FIRST show. His bait was a $20 steak. And he'd do ANYTHING for that steak. He took 1st in Juniors, 1st in his usual-BIG class of Boxers and he placed in the Working group, too. It was wonderful! A really overwhelming feeling. His name was Diesel. He was a bit buffer than the usual Boxer, but everything else made up for it completley. We could never finish him though; he began developing tumors on his sides and the vet advised we neauter him because it had to do with his being intact. Soon after he had to have a toe removed, as well. Neautered dogs aren't allowed in the ring, but he was still the most gorgeous Boxer EVER. And by far, the BEST dog I've EVER had in my lifetime, honestly.

Okay..your Q's!

Can anyone tell me what they are like? They're a lot of fun, but if you're in the show it's busy and you need to keep track of time very well! Don't forget your watch! ;)

Are there breed only shows? Yes. There are shows specifically for one breed but you don't earn big numbes of points [that go towards your dog becoming a champion] at these specialities. There are clubs for each specific breed that hold these shows.

Is there a "prize"? Yes, normally a ribbon. Different colored ribbons represent what you've won. Sometimes a trophy. At 'matches', which are basically practices for show dogs, you could win anything from a ribbon to a dog toy; sometimes a Purina pocket clock ;)

What is the average fee to show a dog? It varies from club to club, show to show. Sometimes as low as $10, or as high [or higher!] than $25. But I, for the most part, have seen and entered shows that are $25 on average.

What exactly do you have to train them to do? Depends WHAT kind of show you are interested in, really. Conformation? Obedience? Agility? Or even weight-pulling. I'm guessing you're considering Conformation shows. Conformation judges dogs on their standard, which can be found at www.akc.org if you plan on showing in American Kennel Club events. The dog will need to stand there in a "stack" position. Basically standing, but it's not that simple. The dog needs to be square, showing off his features.

What is it like to be a handler? It's a lot of fun. I can't explain the feeling really. But it felt so wonderful to have a group winning Boxer by my side with ribbons galore =D It's an overwhelming, wonderful feeling if you really like what you're doing.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Dog shows will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars to get a ch title. I have to disagree. You can get the big points at specialties. You can get hundreds of entries with the more popular breeds. Its a verr competitive world. Its an amazing world

R

RedyreRottweilers

Since points are calculated by the number of dogs competing in a breed and sex, it only makes sense that Specialties would be the place where the big majors happen.

In the early to mid 90s in Rottweilers, 5 point majors were rarely seen except at Specialty shows.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Since points are calculated by the number of dogs competing in a breed and sex, it only makes sense that Specialties would be the place where the big majors happen.

In the early to mid 90s in Rottweilers, 5 point majors were rarely seen except at Specialty shows.
Just chiming in to say that Beau got both his 5 points the weekend of the specialty! He placed back to back and finished on Friday (specialty was Thurs). Anyways, so it can definitely be done. Specialties are imo the best shows to go to- big entries and usually decent judges. Lots of fun. :D

xpaeanx

laurelin congrats on the points...

I'll have to look into handling classes... that sounds fun!

I'm not really interested in a ch title... or spending thousands on shows(unless it's over years).... I would like to just do weekend events... $25 a show isn't bad.

Oh, another question: are there show "levels"... like you can only compete in certain shows if you have so many points?

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
No there arent levels really. Westminster and the AKC invitational are the only ones I can think of that have requirements to enter. Some shows do atract better dogs than others. So find someone that can mentor you

mrose_s

BusterLove
I, personally, can't wait to show. I've heard enough to relise you might need a tough skin at the start but I've also talked to a lot of people that have been amazingly helpful and nice about it.

We've never owned a purebred dog so that would be an experience all in its own. I would like a rescue or working dog as my next dog, but a couple of years after that I'd be after a show dog.

I don't know how many magazines are over there but I pick up "Dog News" and "National Dog" when I see it. Its got good information in it and you can start finding info on different dogs and info just from reading through it.

Members online

No members online now.