white sheperd breeder

Aleron

I think this is where some of the confusion and defensiveness in the thread is coming from.

Within the german shepherd breed, regardless of color, you have a wide variety of lines with different phenotypes, drive, temperament, health, etc.

For some reason white coated shepherds are being lumped into one entire "type". As in, American showlines, German highlines, working bred (which has a whole bunch of different subsets within it), pet bred, and white shepherds.

There's just as much variation among white coated shepherds as there is within the colored ones. They don't all belong to the same type, and that typing is what people who work with them seriously take offense at.
Well yes and no.

wGSDs are sort of their own "type" of GSD. They have been selected as pets for a very long time and that has shaped what you generally see in wGSDs. Unplanned wGSD puppies born into litters of standard colored parents are a rare occurrence because they have been heavily selected against for so long by working and show breeders alike. They are much less common than dilutes (livers or blues) being born to standard colored parents.

Because whites were so heavily selected against, the largest remaining population of them was the pet bred dogs. In general, that is the foundation for even the well bred wGSDs we have today. Many of the people who are serious about wGSDs took the pet bred dogs and crossed them to American showline dogs to improve the quality. Some seem to have just aimed to improve on what they had with the pet lines without adding Amlines, that seems to be the case with Hoofprint. The wGSD breed clubs are, like GSDCA rather conformation oriented. So the well bred whites tend to be "show bred" with occasional rare exceptions. There is nothing wrong with that (I have a 14 year old show bred black and tan American line GSD) but it is what it is.

We have been wanting to get a puppy for quite some time now, just a pet not for work or show. my husband really wants a gsd he doesn't care what color he is but i have always loved the looks of the white gsds but finding a breeder around here is not easy. btw that white border collie is absolutely gorgeous!!! never seen an all white one before, soo in love!!

Aleron

We have been wanting to get a puppy for quite some time now, just a pet not for work or show. my husband really wants a gsd he doesn't care what color he is but i have always loved the looks of the white gsds but finding a breeder around here is not easy. btw that white border collie is absolutely gorgeous!!! never seen an all white one before, soo in love!!
In that case, this might be a good resource to start with: White German Shepherd Dog Club of America, Inc. || Directory || Breeders

It's a listing of all the breeders who are WGSDCA members.

There's also the WGSDI club's directory but it doesn't have much:

WGSDCIIâ„¢ Breeders Directory

The UWGSC has a decent listing too:

United White Shepherd Club - Our dogs do stuff!

Glad to see you stuck around on this thread! Hope that there are some breeders listed in your region that you can at least talk with and get additional references from. If not, don't be afraid to look outside of your immediate area.

monkeys23

IMO the best way to get a nicely balanced pup is to go to a reputable work line breeder of either West German or DDR/Czech if that floats your boat. I like some of the mixing being done between the two.

You could not pay me to own a white GSD or an American showline. Not because of coat color, but because I want a proven well rounded working dog, not a novelty item. I can see both sides of the white arguement, but overall I don't feel its the place to look for a good dog JMO. If thats what you want go stalk some reputable rescues...

I've met and seen work a few nicely bred West German showline dogs, mostly from imported lines. They are nice and I could see one being a nice fit for a pet. However they would not be what I would be looking for and I will never own one *knock on wood*, just not my cup of tea.

I'm lucky my trainer is awesome, he works with us despite my dogs being rescued mixes (GSD/Sibe, one is 50/50 the other is 75/25) and its been extremely educational to see dogs of other breeds and within the GSD different lines be worked. Mostly PP, but some Schutzhund too. I would love to work a BC, that would be so much fun!

I will probably own a purebred GSD someday, but I've turned to the dark side with getting to my trainer's Malinois. However I've done literally years worth of research into working line GSD and frankly I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

I would strongly suggest lurking at your local training clubs, talk to everyone you can, and start doing massive amounts of research. You have to get out there and experience the dogs first hand, know the breed well, and you will find your idea of what you want/need evolving and clarifying.

I never would have fallen for the breed if I hadn't adopted Lily. I was just looking for a good high energy working type companion, didn't even take into account how much I'd loved sled dog mutts as a kid ironically. I do not find white GSD's or showline dogs at all attractive and never would have fallen for the breed if it hadn't been for my sable/brindle (they call it agouti in sled dogs) GSD/Sibe mix showing me how awesome the drive and personality are.

They are amazing dogs, but they sure aren't for everyone. I took on my other dog after she'd been through two adoptive pet homes (she was born into rescue) that just were not equipped to handle a poorly breed mostly GSD mix. She has good drive, but she's kind of a screwball (incidentally judging from pics the other dogs from that hoarding bust were american showline and white GSD, plus some belgians [groendal and mal], and some sibes of dubious origin) and I'm sure that compounded things for her previous homes.

Stack the deck in your favor. Go to a reputable rescue or do some serious research/meeting of dogs via reputable owners/breeders/trainers. There's a lot of reading out there too.

Aleron

IMO the best way to get a nicely balanced pup is to go to a reputable work line breeder of either West German or DDR/Czech if that floats your boat. I like some of the mixing being done between the two.

You could not pay me to own a white GSD or an American showline. Not because of coat color, but because I want a proven well rounded working dog, not a novelty item. I can see both sides of the white arguement, but overall I don't feel its the place to look for a good dog JMO. If thats what you want go stalk some reputable rescues...
There is certainly an advantage of going with a puppy from a serious breeder of wGSD, which would be a history of health testing and breeding for at the very least a sound pet temperament. And if the OP wants a wGSD puppy, they will pretty much have to look at breeders. The average person looking for GSDs as pets don't really need a working bred GSD and many honestly wouldn't want one. Not that I don't think they can't be good pets in the right home. But this person specifically has said they want a wGSD, which they are very unlikely to find in those lines, so it's a moot point anyway.

Plenty of American showline dogs are great pets, I don't think it's fair to say you can't get a "good dog" from them. It really all depends on what your definition of a "good dog" is. My 14 year old American line GSD has been a lovely pet and has a sound temperament overall. She isn't real high drive (except for prey drive towards actual prey) but she's smart and easy to work with. There were undeniable difference between her and my GSD who's pedigree was full of SchH dogs but which one is better is a matter of perspective. From a pet perspective, the Amline girl has been a lot easier. From a performance dog perspective, the German line girl would be the better bet. The Amline girl aged better though, even now she has very little arthritis.

If I were to get another GSD, it would be a German working line but doesn't mean that fits what everyone wants. There is really no point in bashing different lines of GSDs. Like it or not, the various splits aren't going anywhere any time soon. And I sort of think it's good there are so many choices because there are soooo many people who want GSDs and want different things in them.

Members online

No members online now.