I'm not so sure about this..

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
The time has finally come for me to seriously preparing myself to move Samm over to a raw diet. But I seem to be stressing out. I've read so many books/websites/articles/etc. that say so many diffrent things that I don't know what to do anymore. So here are a few questions I have:

How long is it ok to feed one RMB sourse?

How often can I switch to a diffrent RMB sourse? Everyday? Every other day?

I'm getting a lot of mixed signals about ground meat meals, what's up with them? Are they ok? are they necessary? Do I buy meat pre-ground or grind it myself(if possible)
(Though I don't really plan on using ground meat, I've always been curious)

How long should the RMB and organ meat be frozen before it's ok to feed Samm?

For some reason I don't feel like giving my dog nothing but a 1lb (the amount she should eat approx.) of chicken quarter or back or whatever and that be it for the day, is good for her. I mean, meat, bones, and a bit of organ meat is all she really needs? It seems too good to be true. I don't know..I think I'm just getting all nervous because I'm actually going to be switching her over to the diet I always wished I could put her on.

I may ask more questions later if I can think of them..anyways...Thanks for helping!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
It sounds like you're just a worrywart! Like myself. :D I started with pre-made Raw, and I would encourage you to, if you are still really uncomfortable with it. There are lots of decently priced locally-made pre-made raw brands in the area. Other than gradually moving from that to your own, whole meats, doing more research and making a diary/planner for raw meals might also help with your anxiety.

How long is it ok to feed one RMB sourse?

It's different for many dogs... personally, I wouldn't feed one source for over a month, but it does depend on the meat type/quality, the dog, and the supplements being fed (if any). As much variety as possible is the best, as long as your dog is not getting sick from switching around.

How often can I switch to a diffrent RMB sourse? Everyday? Every other day?

That completely depends on Sammy. Generally, you should start with one meat source and stick to it for a couple of weeks, or until she has consistent, solid poops and she's doing well. Then, introduce another for the next week or two. It's advisable not to switch meat sources from day to day when you're just starting out, so that if a certain meat doesn't agree with her, you'll know which one it is.

After getting adjusted to the diet, you can switch RMB's as much as you want! I feed turkey for breakfast and pork for dinner, and beef muscle meat with chicken RMBs in one meal, and my dogs have no issues with that. Some might. It's just going to take a little while to get into the system of feeding raw, and eventually it will become second nature! ;3

I'm getting a lot of mixed signals about ground meat meals, what's up with them? Are they ok? are they necessary? Do I buy meat pre-ground or grind it myself(if possible)
(Though I don't really plan on using ground meat, I've always been curious)

I have heard that ground meat contains more bacteria. Again, it depends on your dog, and how she handles it.

Are you talking about ground meat (like ground beef, ground turkey, etc) or pre-made raw with the meat/bone/sometimes supplements or vegetables that you buy from feed store or pet stores? I like pre-made. I started on it, and I keep a few tubes on hand for quick meals, just in case. Some of the companies are better than others, and some are very over-priced, but most sell really high quality products. They certaintly aren't necessary, though.

How long should the RMB and organ meat be frozen before it's ok to feed Samm?

I freeze pork for 1-2 weeks, it's just a knee-jerk reaction, but probably not necessary in the US.
I don't freeze anything else for a set amount of time, though.

For some reason I don't feel like giving my dog nothing but a 1lb (the amount she should eat approx.) of chicken quarter or back or whatever and that be it for the day, is good for her. I mean, meat, bones, and a bit of organ meat is all she really needs? It seems too good to be true. I don't know..I think I'm just getting all nervous because I'm actually going to be switching her over to the diet I always wished I could put her on.

I feed Gonzo about 1 lb, and Fozzie a little bit less. Is Sammy a smaller GSD? Some dogs, depending on how active they are and how easy or hard it is to keep weight on them, need more or less than is recommended. Start with 1 lb and up her intake a little if she seems ribby, or decrease it if she seems a little over-padded. Sometimes, if I don't feel like cutting up a chicken and they get 2 lbs one day, they just get a light meal the next day. It doesn't have to PERFECT every day, just over time.

It's up to you whether to supplement or not. Plenty of people are happy without supplementing, but I choose to, because again, I am a huge worrywart to the max! I've also seen what I feel are improvements in my pups after experimenting for a while with different supps.

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
wow! Thanks a bunch! Can I ask what pre-made raw you use/used?

I was maybe planning on using kibble or a pre-made raw a few times a week,(more in the beginning, less once she's use to RMB and the likes) just so if I ever have to leave for a while and someone else is in charge of feeding my dog I can make it easy for them..and so Sammy is use to it..

I was wondering about supps. I don't really plan on using any unless I see some signs of deficencies(sp?!.. >.<) But I was just going to feed something like this(still working on it) once Sammy is fully use to a raw diet and the foods:

Monday: Chicken backs/quarters/etc. or Turkey necks/wings/etc.
Tuesday: Chicken backs/quarters/etc. or Turkey necks/wings/etc. (whichever animal I didn't use monday) & a slice of organ meat.
Wendsday: Pre-made raw/Kibble, a little veggie mix(or green tripe), and some salmon oil
Thursday: Chicken backs/quarters/etc. or Turkey necks/wings/etc.
Friday: Chicken backs/quarters/etc. or Turkey necks/wings/etc. (whichever animals I didn't use Thursday) & a slice of organ meat.
Saturday: Any kind of RMB that isn't Chicken or Turkey. (Beef, Lamb, Whole Fish, etc.)
Sunday: Pre-made raw/kibble, a little veggie shake(or green tripe), and some salmon oil (depending on Sats. meal)

How does that sound to you guys?

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
Oh, and yes Sammy is a smaller german shepherd dog. She is about 45lbs. I was planning on giving her 1lb of meat and seeing where to go from there. I also like the idea of balance over time vs. balance every meal..I'm still learning a bit though.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Gonz answered your questions pretty well.

I mean, meat, bones, and a bit of organ meat is all she really needs?
That's all my dogs have been eating for two years, and they are in wonderful health. The vet says they're in "spectacular condition." I do feed the boys cooked veggies from time to time, but I think that's more for my peace of mind than because they actually need it. :eek:

I understand your nerves, really. I felt the same way when I started. Even down to making a weekly feeding menu, LOL. But seriously---raw is an easy diet to feed once you get the hang of it. All those "percentages" and "ratios" you see online make it seem incredibly complicated, and make you feel that you practically have to chart and dissect every meal.

Here's how I feed raw: Open the fridge, select whatever meat happens to be defrosted, toss out approximately two pounds to each dog in the yard, and go on with life. I definitely vary it up and add organs and such, but there's nothing scientific or planned about it: "Hmm. Pork neckbones. They haven't had those in awhile." *toss in yard* "Eh, it's about time for some organs, too." *tosses a few handful of chicken livers in the yard*

It's easy once you get a sense of what your dog needs to be healthy. You do it practically without thinking.

xpaeanx

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to feeding, but I can tell you how my two are doing on the raw diet.

I'll start off with Bailey. He was 74lbs and has colitis, I had tried many different kibbles to help with his colitis(including Rx kibbles). None worked. He's been on raw for 5 months or so now? and he's doing FANTASTIC! I feed him 1lb-1.5lbs a day and he gained weight. He's now 78lbs. On top of the meat I feed jogurt/supps/and pumpkin to him daily, plus he gets veggies about 1x a week.

with Keeda, she's about 65lbs and she eats 3/4lb-1lb a day. She's also been eating raw for about 5 months. She's much easier to feed than Bailey bc she doesn't have the intestinal problems he has. She gets meat plus supps daily and veggies about 1x a week. Her coat has improved dramatically since putting her on raw.

My feeding philosophy is much the same as gempress... When I take their meat out of the fridge, I replace it with meat from the freezer... I normally just grab whatever is closer or easier for me to take out at the time... I put it in their bowls and put them outside with it. I think the only "hard part" is that I don't have a large freezer, so I have to go to the store more often to buy more meat.

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
Thanks guys! I think I'm just getting worrisome because I just worry a lot basically about everything >.< Plus I love my dog very much and I want to be sure I'm doing things right for her sake..I'm in charge of her life and I don't want to regret it some day..

Everyone has given great advice. I only switched Molly over last month and am very happy I did. I thought it seemed so complicated when I first started reading about raw, but like those who posted above, it is so easy. You will also find everyone tweaks their menu to suit their dogs - you will too.

The best information I found was on this group. Absolutely invaluable tips on how to get not only cheap meat, but free. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

This is the place to ask any questions. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.