Please crown me worst owner in the world...

• Thread starter Backward_Cinderella
  • Start date

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
You've home treated too? Do you have any advice? I keep running in to check on him... I think I'm driving him crazy. :(
The biggest thing is keeping him hydrated. If you can get him to drink it, give him pedialyte (sp?). We always gave that in addition to the IV fluids and it does help a lot. Keep him comfy and keep him warm. Just sitting and petting them and talking to them really does wonders... it seems to help give them strength.

He probably won't want to eat much but keep trying to get him to eat something. Warmed up canned food works great for most dogs, but some of them refused to eat that and I've given them ground hamburger, rice, cottage cheese, etc.

B

Backward_Cinderella

Thanks, BN. I just talked to the vet that I will be working for in Illinois and he says that his patients have a bout a 95% success rate for home treatment. That was soooo comforting. I'm going to go wet a washcloth and dampen his lips a bit. They seem so dry... poor baby. He's not due for another IV until nine though (its only a little after six now)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Don't beat yourself up! It's so rare that adult dogs get Parvo that there is no way you could have known! Heck, you gave us the symptoms and we didn't catch it either!

You're doing the best you can by him and we're aiming plenty of Chazzer vibes your way. Between the two, I bet he does just fine! He's not a tiny puppy, so he stands a much better chance of survival.

(((((((HUGS)))))))

Smkie has treated a number of dogs with parvo doing the home IV method and they survived. I think it's just keeping them quiet and hydrated that are the main points.

B

Backward_Cinderella

Thanks, Zoom, and everyone else. You are all so helpful and encouraging! I'm sending huge hugs out to all of you, and Doom will be too, as soon as he feels like it.

To those of you who have delt with Parvo, can I REALLY not take him any where for SIX MONTHS???? That seems like SO long!!! Is it really transmittable for such a long period??? :(

noludoru

Bored Now.
(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Yes, I would say if that's what your vet told you - it's a good idea to follow his advice. Having another dog fall ill because you brought Doom out would absolutely suck.

I'm dittoing the pedialyte... eggs are usually a big hit around here if Middie won't eat, too, as are the usual staples that Walker mentioned.. especially cheap hamburg. You can even process things in a blender or something use a baster to get food/drink down his throat if he refuses it for a long period of time.

B

Backward_Cinderella

I hadn't thought about a baster, Nolu, thanks. I will definatley try that... I've been using a baby syringe to get water in his mouth... -_- This poor dog is going to start thinking "What now" when I come near him.

Six months seems like forever, but you're right, it wouldn't be worth getting other dogs sick. He'll have to walk on the treadmill when he feels up to it, I guess. I'm already worried about the boarding dogs we have... I can't get ahold of their owners to find out if they've had all their stupid shots!!!
The guy that runs the foster I work for was so sweet. He brought me a couple of cups of yogurt and a package of meat for Doom. He's really worried too. I'd only called to see if the girl we're fostering for him (and Bobsie) were up to date, and all of a sudden here he comes with bland food! If I weren't taken, and he weren't gay... LoL

Doom seems to be feeling better. Its getting close to time for his next dose of meds. He got up on the bed by himself, though, and has been going and dunking his head in his water dish (His own water dish, the others can't get to it.) to wet his lips.

He's such a good boy. :)

B

Backward_Cinderella

We are working on Doom's IV now. I got it in on the first try and didn't shake... That's good. We're sitting in the entry way watching Juno on my computer while we wait for it to finish.
Poor big guy. :(
He does seem to be feeling a little bit better. He wagged the tip of his tail when I came to get him to start the IV.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I think you are taking really good care of him. Clearly it isn't your fault, but just like parents, we always think everything is our fault. He is lucky to have you care about him so much. ((((HUGS)))) to both of you.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
hopefully the adult will not get it as badly as the babies, but it is still awful. Sounds like you are doing a great job. Just make sure you bleach everything including the bottom of your shoes so you don't track it to the others. When he is on the upswing nutrical will help if there is great weight loss.

2dogmom

Pound Puppy
Like the others said, don't beat yourself up. There is so much out there to be aware of, not even vets know all of it, how can a pet owner be expected to? And now you are one more person who can spread the word and speak from experience. The important thing is you caught it and Doom is getting treated.
Good vibes for Doom that he gets through this ok.

goldiefur

I am praying for Doom to fully recover. Don't feel bad because I did not even know adult dogs could get Parvo and I surely did not know they had to be vaccinated as adults. I thought the puppy shots for Parvo was all they needed. I hope Doom is feeling better.

Members online

No members online now.