Stupid Dog Owners (RANT!)

Miakoda

It's very important to be educated on what the laws are in your city, parish/county, etc. concerning animal containment.

For example, in the parish & city I live in, there is no leash law, but rather just a "nuisance law." Because of that there are numerous canines and felines running loose, causing havoc, and destroying other people's property.

I'm currently in the fight to change that as where I live is no longer a rural farming community that it once was. In fact, it's the largest growing parish in the state of Louisiana and becoming highly populated. So combine a lot of people with a lot of off-leash dogs and cats and you can bet that the trouble is just beginning.

Miakoda

Exactly. Oz is out in our yard, off leash and supervised BECAUSE there is fence all the way around our property. If there wasn't, I'dve invested in a runner or stake out for him. Not taking any chances whatsoever.
I like to have my dogs out in the frontyard as well when I'm out playing with Cole or when we're just all sitting out there enjoying a nice evening. However, we have a 30 ft. cable tie-out for that very purpose.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
What i really don't like are children, Not because i don't like them, because i hate the stigma a dog gets if he gets scared and makes a face at a kid because the child ran up to him from behind and completely caught the dog off guard. I don't understand where parents learn or think that letting your child run up to any animal with your arms flailing and screaming would be an ok thing.
Thank you for the rant, at least i know im not alone in this crap...
with you 100% on that. our corgi is absolutely terrified of anyone he doesn't know, particularly kids, and while he has never bitten ANYONE i fear for the child that grabs the slinking away corgi and ends up with an armful of teeth.

that said, i used to work in a pet store where you could bring your dog to work with you. I stopped bringing my dalmatian mix, because although she liked kids, she did not like a gaggle of them grabbing her ears, chasing her while screaming "DALMATIAN" and trying to ride her. Yes, TRYING TO RIDE HER (she's under 40#!!!).

If my children acted like that..... ooooh.... If I had kids.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Where I live, it's legal to have your dog unleashed on your own property---as long as the dog stays on your property. I don't have a problem with any dog that will stay in its yard, leashed or unleashed.

But there are so many free-roaming dogs in my neighborhood, it's ridiculous. And here's the ironic part: every single house has a fenced yard. Seriously. But people still have this idea that Fluffy will be much happier roaming around the neighborhood than safely contained.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oz is NEVER in the front yard off leash. That part is not fenced in. Ideally, I'd like to be able to fence it in, but the building code wont allow for that. The backyard is completely fenced though. And when we open up the gate to the neighbors house, Ozzy and their dogs come and go in both our yards as they please. Thats PLENTY of roaming room for all three dogs. And if I am going to another neighbors house with Oz, I walk through my backyard and theirs, and open a gate and then I'm in my other neighbors backyard.

With Oz's DA I don't take chances anymore. He is leashed, tethered or kept safely behind a SIX FOOT fence. Many of my neighbors have four footers. Their dogs just wait until they go in the house and proceed to bust out and wander the neighborhood.

UGH.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I live in an apartment and I guess all my neighbors think it's fine to just let their little fluff balls run outside to go potty without a leash on.

OMG did I tell you I watched a Beagle owner let his dog out to potty... and the little *&)#&@ actually CR@PPED ON MY PATIO! Beagle finished his turd, ranback to the door, and the owner let him back in and LEFT THE POO ON MY PATIO!!!!!!!! I was livid, but I was waiting for the bus to go take a test.... ooooo I was so mad........

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I would love to have atleast our backyard fenced in. But we share a driveway and its pretty much impossible to do the way the property is set up. But if it was possible yes it would be fenced. We do have a cable run just just in case situations.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
That's the thing CD... I don't know where he lives! I did report him to the apartment complex though... didn't do much good though, since we've apparently got 9 beagles in the building. Ugh, the baying drives me up the wall...

... on a better note, I haven't seen the uber aggressive American Bulldog around... maybe she bit somebody and was euthed... ah well, a girl can dream right?

OMG did I tell you I watched a Beagle owner let his dog out to potty... and the little *&)#&@ actually CR@PPED ON MY PATIO! Beagle finished his turd, ranback to the door, and the owner let him back in and LEFT THE POO ON MY PATIO!!!!!!!! I was livid, but I was waiting for the bus to go take a test.... ooooo I was so mad........

OOOoooo....I'd be PISSED!! We've got quite a few that don't pick up over here (lol, last year signs were conveniently posted in the yards of the worst offenders....gave me a chuckle!) but at least they seem to keep it on the grass.

Miakoda

OOOoooo....I'd be PISSED!! We've got quite a few that don't pick up over here (lol, last year signs were conveniently posted in the yards of the worst offenders....gave me a chuckle!) but at least they seem to keep it on the grass.

We live on a dead-end street and not in an apartment, but I'm amazed at the fact that other people on the street belive that it's ok to let their dogs poop in my yard since they know I have dogs and my dogs poop in my yard. Ummm...yeah. I scoop my front yard daily and backyard twice a day, but just because I don't mind scooping up after my dogs doesn't mean I don't mind scooping up after other people's dogs!

A couple that moved last year used to intentionally have their Dalmation poop in my yard for that very reason. She finally got the hint when I started collecting her dog's poop (which wasn't hard to distinguish since it's actually rare for me to take a dog out front to poop...plus her dog ate Pedigree & Pedigree poop is very different than Merrick and Evo poop) and went and dumped an entire plastic grocery bag full of it in their yard right in front of their front door. And this was AFTER I asked them not to let their dog poop in my yard.:rolleyes:

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I totally agree with what you're saying... and, it's sad that so many of us have to go through this on a daily basis. D: My neighbors have 2 boisterous Weimeraners, who continuously jump the fence when ever I walk by with my dogs, and the owners continuously fail to take that as a hint! Last time it happened, and the owner came running out screaming, I asked her, "Have you EVER considered adding on to your fence, to prevent them from jumping?!" and she just looked confused. *sigh*

I don't think it's necessary to call the dogs "retards", "morons", or "stupid". They are just unlucky enough to have irresponsible owners - that's the bottom line. I'm sure if Oz was owned by an irresponsible owner and allowed to roam off-leash, he would do the same, I know Gonzo would. He has some of the same issues as Oz, which have also been aggrivated by being harassed by off-leash dogs on walks. It blows, but it is NO fault of the dog's.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Sometimes I am tempted to carry mace with me, instead of a squirt bottle. Maybe that would be the last time the dog charged somebody on the sidewalk. Then I realize that is probably too mean, because it's the owner who deserves a face full of mace.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I totally agree with what you're saying... and, it's sad that so many of us have to go through this on a daily basis. D: My neighbors have 2 boisterous Weimeraners, who continuously jump the fence when ever I walk by with my dogs, and the owners continuously fail to take that as a hint! Last time it happened, and the owner came running out screaming, I asked her, "Have you EVER considered adding on to your fence, to prevent them from jumping?!" and she just looked confused. *sigh*

I don't think it's necessary to call the dogs "retards", "morons", or "stupid". They are just unlucky enough to have irresponsible owners - that's the bottom line. I'm sure if Oz was owned by an irresponsible owner and allowed to roam off-leash, he would do the same, I know Gonzo would. He has some of the same issues as Oz, which have also been aggrivated by being harassed by off-leash dogs on walks. It blows, but it is NO fault of the dog's.
Agreed^^

noludoru

Bored Now.
do any of you with reactive dogs carry any type of deterrents on you to ward off any approaching dogs?

I think it's completely ironic that *I* am the one with the dog aggressive dog and *I* am the one that carries at least 5 deterrents on me. I even carry a bad cuz ball as a distraction tool for Ella. And I simply pray the day that I have to use that to get her attention off an off leash dog, that that off leash dog doesn't enjoy squeaky balls as much as she does.

I know people who carry treats on them to simply toss at off leash dogs. I REFUSE to do that. I REFUSE to reinforce the behavior of a dog rudely running up to us. To me, it's also a good way to get that off leash dog to continue following you.
I just.. that it mind-boggling, the stupidity of bringing treats for another dog.

Members online

No members online now.