Put yourself in my place - opinions please

BostonBanker

Thanks for answering. I certainly have fallen into the trap of aloof = aggressive in terms of chows; we have two very bad local breeders, and I've seen a lot of their dogs with some serious issues. It is often just passed off as "chow personality". I realized even as I was typing, that I referred to "friendly" as the opposite of aloof, when outgoing is probably more appropriate.

Whether you breed her or not, you have an awful lot to be proud of with her. Despite all my bad experiences with the breed, I think she is not only stunning, but has a pretty impressive resume! Good luck in whatever you choose.

Fran27

I think she should definitely be bred, especially considering the problems in the breed. The question would be, what would you look for in a stud?

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
Thanks for answering. I certainly have fallen into the trap of aloof = aggressive in terms of chows; we have two very bad local breeders, and I've seen a lot of their dogs with some serious issues. It is often just passed off as "chow personality". I realized even as I was typing, that I referred to "friendly" as the opposite of aloof, when outgoing is probably more appropriate.

Whether you breed her or not, you have an awful lot to be proud of with her. Despite all my bad experiences with the breed, I think she is not only stunning, but has a pretty impressive resume! Good luck in whatever you choose.
Thank you for the compliments - I'm really proud of her, she's a fun dog and I love her to death.

It's no wonder that non-chow people fall into the "trap" of thinking of aloof as aggressive when chow owners and breeders USE that excuse. It's wrong for them to do so, especially in this day and age of BSL. I get really irritated with chow people who excuse their dog's behavior by attributing it to "chow personality". The personality excuse is also the reason why most people don't bother to obedience train or title their dogs. Chows are perfectly capable of being obedient. I won't say they're as easy to train as shepherds .. *L* .. but it's certainly do-able. But breeders don't want to feel that they HAVE to put performance titles on their chows, I'm sure.

I'm of the mindset that dogs should only earn championships if they pass appropriate temperament testing as well as some sort of proof of athletic ability and/or intelligence. As you can imagine, my opinion is not popular with many people .. *L*

Fran - well, that's a BIG question! *L* I would definitely use the knowledge and experience of the breeders behind Khana's pedigree when looking for a stud. She's mostly of the Redcloud line of chows and I REALLY like the health and temperament of this line. It's likely I would breed to a dog with some similar lines. A few dogs have already been suggested by these breeders. We have an eye on her physical weaknesses and that would be a huge consideration in the choice to make sure we bred away from those. Her body is slightly long but in all honesty I LIKE that as it helps her be very athletic and flexible (compared to the typical very square chow of today) so I'm not sure I would want to push for a pups that are really square. One possibility is a dog that is a very close relative and is the same basic lines on the mother's side, but the stud they chose as the father was a dog from the 80's (frozen semen, of course) who is an outcrossing. There's some validity to the "old vigor" and the pup produced is a very good-looking dog. He's not quite two so he hasn't had his health certifications done yet.

There are many other things I have to take into consideration, too, such as the impracticality of breeding via AI (which is the only way it could really be done, given where I live and that there are no males within thousands of miles that would complement her lines). There's also the fact that we don't have a really knowledgeable vet in my immediate area that could do AI. I'd have to travel to Anchorage (150 miles) to have any reproductive work done. And then, of course, there's the consideration of the cost which could be quite high. These are all things I'm thinking about.

It'd be a lot easier if I could just collect her eggs and send them out like they collect semen and send it .. *L* .. the breeding procedure seems way more complicated than I'd like it to be. I don't mind raising puppies and would truly enjoy that side of it, but the breeding/AI/pregnancy/birth are not something I look forward to.

Ack. After all this I'm down to about 20% for and 80% against .. :D

Melanie and the gang

I'd say breed her. She is a VERY valuable dog to the Chow breed and she could bring so much good especially considering how down hill the breed seems to be going (with people over-exaggerating conformation). She's such an impressive bitch who has proven herself repeatedly! I say go for it!

H

HarleyD

I don't want to be a downer, but after reading 2 pages of the "good stuff" I feel someone should bring this up.

What if something goes wrong when you breed her? What if the puppies are deformed or don't make it? What will you do if the pups can live but are deformed due to some genetic throwback (it's a long shot but possible)? What will you do if your 3 yo, otherwise healthy, Chow doesn't make it...or has to go into surgery and there are complications?

I really don't want to be a downer and I do think your dog would better the breed and be great to breed with...especially if you have a great sire. It's just that I don't want you to think of all the good things and forget that bad things do happen sometimes.

Sorry...don't hate me.

I don't want to be a downer, but after reading 2 pages of the "good stuff" I feel someone should bring this up.

What if something goes wrong when you breed her? What if the puppies are deformed or don't make it? What will you do if the pups can live but are deformed due to some genetic throwback (it's a long shot but possible)? What will you do if your 3 yo, otherwise healthy, Chow doesn't make it...or has to go into surgery and there are complications?

I really don't want to be a downer and I do think your dog would better the breed and be great to breed with...especially if you have a great sire. It's just that I don't want you to think of all the good things and forget that bad things do happen sometimes.

Sorry...don't hate me.

This is something everyone who breeds a litter must face. I think Melanie knows the risks. She is just trying to decide if she should breed Khana or not.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Last thing I'll add is to consider all the bitches in the pedigree and make sure they were good breeders, mothers, and whelpers.

That's very much a genetic thing and reproductive vigor should be higher on folks lists than it often is.

Boemy

Given her health tests, temperament, and achievements, I think she would do nothing but improve the breed! :) It's great that she's a working chow.

sheepjoke

I think your breed NEEDS your bitch! With all the aggression and health issues in chows, I'd not be concerned at all if she doesnt get her Ch....that is not the only determinating factor in breeding. And yes there are risks...but I am assuming you know those, but are considering "ethical" aspects of breeding your bitch. She's not perfect conformationally...but no dog is! Her head is not her fortune, but I think their heads are getting too extreme anywya...jmnsho. The problem would be finding a suitable typey stud dog who is health tested and has a good, stable temperament. Decding to breed her is the easy part...then you have to stud dog shop! I'd rather have a healthy temperamentally sane dog anyday over a typy basket case sickly dog.

sheepjoke

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
Thanks for the continued comments - I appreciate both the compliments AND the cautionary responses.

I've definitely considered the "what if's" and that's probably what holds me back as much as anything. I worked as a vet tech for years and saw some of the problems that can occur. I'd be devastated if I made this choice and then Khana paid the price (I'm sure, at this point, that she doesn't care one way or the other about having puppies, although I DO think she is a mothering type and would be a good brood bitch). I've also considered the "what if's" on the puppies. As far as I know on her background (in talking with her breeder, and the breeder of her sire and many of her relatives) this line tends to do well in the breeding department.

You know, this forum has been accused of being "anti-breeder" but this thread - and others recently - should prove that the people here are NOT "anti-breeder" at all .. they're more "anti-BAD-breeder" than anything else. I think when people do the right things and take careful consideration of the breedings they plan, then this forum is very supportive. Everyone just wants to see what is right for the dogs, and even though rescue is stressed here most people can see the reasons behind producing physically and mentally healthy puppies in specific breeds. I encourage people to adopt or rescue, but if they want a purebred puppy and that's what is important to them, then helping them understand what makes a good breeding is vital.

Khana is sprawled out on the floor beside me, sound asleep. Puppies are probably the farthest thing from her mind .. *L*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

H

HarleyD

Of course it's not against breeding. I haven't been around long, but from what I can see chaz is more against bad breeding (health/temperament,etc), bad breeders (byb's/puppy mills/store dogs) and poor pedigree (no proven hunting/show/agility/CGC, etc). Those are the 3 important things. Health, good breeder doing it for the right reasons and that the dog is actually improving the breed...not just breeding for puppies or designer dogs or to make money.

Granted, accidents do happen sometimes...but people and dogs usually pay the price and learn to prevent those accidents in the future.

Seems to me like you've got it planned out pretty good. Cover your bases, do research on whelping *if you haven't already* and make sure Khana stays healthy and happy and that all the pups are too. :)

H

HarleyD

Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is telling the truth about their dog so people can get a little testy if they don't believe you...but it seems like you know exactly what you're talking about and I don't think you could be lying at all! :) Some are easy to see through and those are the one's that chaz is worried about/for.

sheepjoke

Off topic here, but I want to say to HarleyD:
Your Harley is VERY PRETTY!! Buster is handsome, too...but Harley is just awesome!

sheepjoke

H

HarleyD

Thanks. :) However, I can not take credit for these pups. Even though they all look exactly like mine they are simply internet pictures cause I don't have any on the computer. :(
Considering Harley and Buster look EXACTLY like those pictures, I can take a little credit...but alas, poor Cocoa's pic does not do justice to the real dog.

Members online

No members online now.