Is Rocky Biting or Nipping?

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Alrighty, here's what's going on:

I do anything... not really anything but he's does this as if it were nipping--pretty often.

What happens is, he pulls his lip back to reveal his scary lil teeth.

Now, he applies his teeth to my skin with a low moaning sound-- not growling--moaning.

Now, he does make it to where he wants to hurt me.... I've seen him do that before in the past.

But the pressure of his teeth is like--whoah..

and because of all the pressure I get cuts n' etc.

Now, this is kinda weird... is it just cause he's growing and so his jaw pressure is a lot harder or what? Does he not realize it? Most of the times I say, "No" and walk away... or if it's really bad and I get REALLY annoyed... I USUALLY put him in another room for a while.

I just don't why he's doing this?

Nipping? Or biting?

Doberluv

It's hard to say, but either way, keep doing the things that were advised for discouraging that. If it hurts, or even if it doesn't, walk away, end all play. In addition do some of that nothing in life is free. Establish beyond a doubt that you control his resources, that without you, his life would suck. You're the head of doggie household and he needs to obey commands,(obedience practice every day) and go along with the program....no wild play will bring him anything. And any behavior you don't like, be sure there's no payoff for. Any behavior you do like, reward. That's the bottom line.

bubbatd

Don't forget what he's been through. When does he do this ??? I still believe in the lip between the tooth and your skin and say " No Bite " firmly and ignore. Whenever play is involved repeat softly " no bite "

Doberluv

The only trouble I see with that, is that a soft, "no bite" or any words, for that matter, is going to sound like a reward, attention and that IS a payoff. Then you ignore. That will tend to be confusing to the dog. I promise....it works well to simply remove yourself and ANY attention or "payoff" to his biting. Stick with it consistantly, unwaveringly...and in a couple of weeks or so, you'll see improvement. Do replace your hand with a chew toy, then walk away and go about your business without looking at him or speaking. Why cause your dog pain of biting his lip when you can eliminate a behavior calmly, while maintaining your puppy's trust in you, by NOT associating pain with your self?

Since Rocky's losing his baby teeth, I can't help but wonder if he isn't having some teething pain and this nipping and moaning is his way of trying to tell you his mouth hurts. Try giving him a frozen teething toy or one of those nubbly teething chew bones.

It's easy to figure it's just more of the same puppy nipping he was doing so much before, but the moaning and the way you're describing it sounds like a teething pup with a sore mouth. Babies will do the same thing when they're having teething pain.
You can even put a SMALL bit of Numbzit (the kind that's used for babies, not the adult formula) on his front gums from time to time if he seems like he's hurting and the teething toys don't help.
If he doesn't stop the nips when you give him a teething toy, then you ignore him.

Debi

I've always said 'no bite'....it works for both my dogs, they immediately stop. During play we will be rolling all over, and the second it becomes a little too rough for me..I say 'no bite'. maybe it depends on the dog....but mine know exactly what that means. Addie was nippier than Ham as a puppy. I would say 'no bite' and put her toy in her mouth instead of my hand or whatever. I never felt she thought it was a reward, but rather the substitution to what she was allowed to bite. sometimes Hammie will do a low 'growling' type sound, but it's more of a type of communication..not really a true growl. (actually, he does it with Addie...she's his usual play buddy) just try not to get frustrated, Big....and even when it hurts...don't hit. :)

You need to scream and cry like a dog in pain when he does this! It will shock him and he will know that he's causing pain and needs to stop! :)
And I agree with the lip between the tooth and your skin. He will feel the pain, too, and realize what he's doing and that it's wrong...

Doberluv

How can anyone want to cause their tiny, baby puppy pain? You'll spoil your relationship with your pup if you cause him to distrust you. My pups all learned quickly, within a few weeks of having them, to stop biting me. And all I did was remove any pay off or fun for their biting. And reward them for chewing on their own toys.

bubbatd

You don't cause the pain...they do. Besides, they let loose before they hurt themselves. Puppies have to learn from us when they no longer have their mommys to teach them.. The yipping helps too.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I've tried just about everything... the only thing left to do as of now, is to ignore him.

I've hit him way too much to cause anymore pain to him... so I'm not going to do that.

I guess... I'll just stick to putting him in another room.

Members online

No members online now.