Agility Trials for Dummies

BostonBanker

Let the countdown begin! I sent in Meg's entry for our first agility trial today. It's just under five weeks away. I'm not too concerned about the obstacles (we are doing CPE level 1, so no weaves or see-saw). And I don't have much for expectations other than to hope we get around a whole course at some point;) .

What I'm looking for are any of the little, silly, or stupid things that you wish you'd known when you started. Rules, stuff to bring, etc. I keep thinking back to my first dressage show, where I didn't know that if the bell rang during your test, you were supposed to stop and talk to the judge. It's little things like that I'm worried about.

I am going with a good friend who has competed there before, so hopefully things will go fairly smoothly. Thanks for any advice you guys can give!

T

tessa_s212

Woo! CPE is GREAT for beginners. I've always known the CPE competitors to be friendly, as well as the judges.

GOODLUCK! :D

adojrts

Ok, first things first--------------GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT TIME!!
I am going to keep everything simple and I am not going to assume anything, so please if it looks to be a no brainer, don't be offended. It's not meant to be lol.
Here is my list of what I take to every agility trial.
DOG (lol)
DOG I.D CARD/MEMBERSHIP, CLASS ORDER, TRIAL CONFORMATION!!
Regular collar and leash, I remove his reg. collar when we arrive at the trial and from that point on ONLY use the slip (we are NQ'd for collars on course)
E-z up Tent for outdoor trials
X-pen
Mat for x-pen
Water bucket
Food bowl
X-pen cover
Chair
Water for my dog and me
Bait bag
Bait (lots of it!!)
Tug toy/toy etc.
Towels (min 3)
Rain gear
Extra shoes and Extra socks
Dog wear (dog coat/rain gear)
Blanket
Clipboard for course maps with a clear plastic paper holder (incase its raining)
Marker for planning my path/the dogs path to be used on the plastic cover thingy lol
CAMERA
VIDEO CAMERA
Dog food, in case we have to stay for any reason
Snacks, fruit, granola bars, yogurt etc.
Cooler
Hat
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Headache Meds (if I don't need it, guaranteed someone will lol)
I always take clothing to either cool down or warm up, depending on the season.
Stop Watch (for Gambles/Snooker etc)
Watch.
Nutracal-energy/vit paste for my dog.

Now for the tips-
Arrive early, give your self LOTS of time to get set up, get Registered, Get Measured, LOTS of time to just walk around with your dog, give her time to settle and relax and to see and smell everything.
Check and double check the running order.
Use an IPod with fav tunes, wear it during the walk through, it tunes out any negative comments others may have about the course etc. It should also help you to relax and be up beat.
Take every second you have to walk the course/s. Look at the course from your dog's point of view (kneel down and look).
I always turn away from the course after I have walked it several times, close my eyes and run in my mind.
Know the course.
BREATH, take long deep breaths at anytime you feel stress etc.
During the Judges Briefing, ALWAYS ask, if you need to confirm a rule etc. Remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.
Warm up and stretch yourself and your dog.
Be ready about 5-6 dogs away.
When you enter the ring, BREATH,
Tell the Scribe your name and your dogs name.
Look around the course, make sure the frame is the proper height, jumps are correct, Chute is not flipped or twisted etc.
Wait for the whistle to START.
BREATH AND SMILE AT YOUR DOG, TELL SHE IS A STAR!
THEN HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, I hope this helps. If I thing of anything else I'll post it.
Take care
Lynn

BostonBanker

adojrts - That is fantastic! I'm definitely not offended; I feel like it's always the silly, no-brainer stuff that gets forgotten;) . Like the time I went to the horse show without a girth!

Clipboard for course maps with a clear plastic paper holder (incase its raining)
Marker for planning my path/the dogs path to be used on the plastic cover thingy lol
That's a great idea. I never would have thought of it!

How exactly do they measure the dogs? I want to get Meg used to it before we go. Do dogs usually care about it?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
ITs really great that your trialing already!! And what is this CPE??? I havent herd of it, if it doesnt have weaves, Zoey and I could be trailing at the next trail we could find! :) Sorry if I am being annoying, but I REALLY want to trail this summer, but Zozo cant do her weaves :( Anyways, GOOD LUCK! The list adojrts gave is great! I might just copy and paste it and keep it for my next trails!

Oh and again! GOOD LUCK! and HAVE FUN FUN FUN!
Shay :D

BostonBanker

CPE is Canine Performance Events, another agility club. It tends to be a bit less competitive than USDAA or NADAC. The website is http://www.k9cpe.com/.

And yes, the level 1 classes don't have the weaves or see-saw. Meg's weaves are actually really stong and consistent, but I've noticed she is still nervous on the see-saw, so I've been going back and retraining it. I wouldn't want to push her to do it in a new environment at this point; she's just starting to get comfortable.

Our agility club hosts a NADAC and a USDAA trial over the summer as well, so if the CPE goes okay, I'll probably do a bit there, as well. We'll see:) . I'm getting really excited!

adojrts

Hi;
I don't know the rules of CPE, but most agility org/assoc. require that all dogs have a height card or I.D. Check the rules for CPE to see if they require this and then obtain one. For measuring, it is usually done first thing, they have height wicket on a solid flat surface. You stand your dog up, then the wicket is moved over the dogs back (the same as measuring the hands on a horse). Some dogs don't mind but others do. You know your dog best and how she will respond.
A couple more tips:
Take your dog for as many pee breaks as possible (remember stress makes that end work more), take one yourself and I don't drink alot just before a run, last thing I need to do is run for the washroom seconds before running (that happens ).

Take care
Lynn

adojrts

Hey BostonBanker!!
You forgot your girth?? I went to a show once and my saddle wasn't loaded!!! The tackroom on the trailer had been packed including my saddle, then someone else 'borrowed it' and took it off the trailer. What a nightmare, trying to find an extra saddle that would fit my horse for my classes. No one had an extra one. One of my fellow exhibitors insisted that I borrow her's for the money classes, she scratched, I rode feeling very guilty and then bought her dinner with my winnings lol.

Take care
Lynn

BostonBanker

I think you may have me beat with the saddle, although it wasn't really your fault.

I had my nice list that I'd spent ages making. It said "Saddle, bridle, martingale", but nowhere did it say "girth", so it just didn't occur to me:rolleyes: .

Preparing for your dogs first agility trial:

So you and your dog have put in all the hard work and you think you’re ready to enter your first Agility trial. It is a good idea to offer to steward at a trial before you run your dog. This will give you first hand experience of how a trial works, and gives you a close up view of common mistakes people make.

The Paperwork:
In order to enter a trial you need to be a member of the VCA, you can download the forms from the VCA website at http://www.vca.org.au. Next you will also need to get your dog officially measured. This needs to be officiated by two judges and can often be done at trials.

Some trial schedules are posted in the bi-monthly magazine Vic-Dog but due to the cost of advertising a lot of clubs advertise by word of mouth. The VicAgility website contains the schedules of http://www.geocities.com/vicagility

Check in procedure:
Find the check in desk and get your entry numbers and catalogue. If you have a bitch you will need to present these entries and get her vetted. Take a look at the running order, and find where your ring is.

Find your ring and walk the course:
Walk it once to find all the numbers, next break it down into sections and work out the best way of handling it, and finally look at it from the dogs point of view to find any traps the judge may have snuck in! Talk to other competitors on the course and find out how they are thinking about handling the course. Every dog is different, but you may just get an idea you hadn’t thought of.

The Judges briefing:
The Judge will tell you the course length, standard course time, and rate of travel (I actually find this information fairly irrelevant as whatever times and rates they give us we’re going to be running just as fast as we can (right??). Each judge does things slightly differently, count on the pause table, and start procedure, and also clues as to the things they are pedantic about. If you’re not first up and have time watch a few dogs running to get an idea of traps that weren’t obvious when you were walking the course.

Warming you dog up:
Check for scratched entries ahead of you and make sure you warm your dog up with a few dogs ahead of you. Don’t let the gate steward bully you into queuing up early (I like to keep my dogs moving until we walk into the ring).

Entering the ring:
You have got your dogs full attention from the warm up games so look like you mean business and neatly heal into the ring (this is something you should practice in training). Listen to the judge but remember your dog is the most important thing in that ring so reciprocate the attention you are receiving from your dog.

Exiting the ring:
Once you have completed your run your lead/collar will usually be waiting for you at the exit gate. Make sure you have your dog on lead before exiting the ring **Some judges will disqualify you for this**. Praise your dog, run back to the car and give them their favourite treat or have a play with your dogs favourite toy!

Common mistakes in the trial ring:
No food or toys are allowed in the ring.
Dogs must not enter or leave the ring off lead.
Dogs must run with a flat collar with no tags, (or no collar at all).
Whilst the dog is being judged you can’t touch your dog. Judging starts when you acknowledge after the Judge asks “Are you ready?”, and finishes when your dog crosses the finish line. (I have been pulled up by a judge for patting my dog before leading out because judging had started).
Timing starts when the dog hits the start line (this may be the first obstacle or a painted line between to posts). If you are doing a lead out take your time.
Timing finished when the dog hits the finish line. This is not always the last obstacle.

A final comment:
NERVES! Everybody has them and dogs are very good at picking up on them so try to relax and have fun with your furry friend. Don’t forget to praise and talk to them during the run. Remember that 99.99% of all mistakes made in the Agility ring are made by the handler and not the dog.

If it doesn’t go quite to plan don’t worry. Every handler competing will be able to recount a tale of their own dogs misbehaviour in the ring. I will never forget one of the first jumping runs I entered:

I was training at a club that had a caravan they used for members registrations etc. My dog had befriended the ladies that volunteered in the caravan, and every week went visiting for pat’s and treats.

We were halfway through our run and the course turned through 180 degrees with a tunnel exit framing the caravan perfectly… Of course she ran out of the ring, cut across two others and made a beeline for the caravan!!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Lynn, that was the most comprehensive rocking list ever! I am so saving that. Thank you for sharing.

adojrts

Laura glad you like the list lol its a long one to be sure.
BarkingM*d, ha do I know the dog leaving the ring..........during a run, my dog flew out of the ring, ran directly to the BBQ vendor (food). I called him back and he started back but then they opened the BBQ and he returned to them (BRAT) lol. Everyone joked that he went to order a Hamburger, then returned to insure it was a cheeseburger.
Ah you gotta lov'm,
Lynn

Members online

No members online now.