French Bulldog

I've been interested in the frenchie for years, but never have talked to anyone who owns one.

From my understanding they are clowns, love being with family, stubbornish and independent, yet are trainable.

Anyone have some knowledge on them? I suppose they are a higher priced breed too.

From my understanding they are clowns, love being with family, stubbornish and independent, yet are trainable.

Anyone have some knowledge on them? I suppose they are a higher priced breed too.
Everything about your understanding of them is correct :lol-sign: . They are all that, plus a whole lot more. My Phoebe is all of the above, and I have to say, that after having had my Frenchie, I would always like one around. One of the main things to consider is that they don't do well in hot weather. During that time they should only be walked early in the morning and later in the evening. She has SO much character and I am thankful every day that she shares her life with us.

Here are 2 very useful sites to browse through, where you will pick up a heap of information about the breed. www.bulldogworld.com and www.frenchbulldogworldwide.com. I'm not sure of the price, but why not go to www.frenchbulldogrescue.org where they have many Frenchies to adopt. Please feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions :) .

Thanks for the reply. The links are great.
Do frenchies have an oily or dryer coat=how much doggy odor they give.
Do you hav to clean their face between the skin folds like a pug? or not really?
How is Phoebe with strangers; does she bark a warning or how does she respod to an unanounced visitor? Thanks!

sam

I've only met one frenchie IRL and I fell in love instantly. We were at a horse show and this little dog got up and greeted each person who came on the stands. It was so cute and so friendly but in a really hilarious way. I'm sure that dog had a wicked sense of humor. I had no idea what kind of dog it was and ended up talking to the owner about him. I'd love to own one someday. My only concern would be health probs and finding a really good breeder.

Shannerson... the coat is not oily and never smells - other than when she has been rolling in something gross :yikes: . I do clean her facial folds every few days, and it only takes a very little time.

We have a restaurant and live above it, and she is very much a part of our place (she is the icon for our place) and is constantly around people. She is great with people, and in fact, many people come here just to say 'hi' to her. She is a GREAT warning, as she never barks other than when she feels something is not right... and she is very accurate :) .

A quick story ~ I took her to a coffee shop, and to cut a long story short (deserves another thread) there was a DREADFUL man there who literally beat his Rhodesian Ridgeback in his face up against a wall, which Phoebe witnessed. We went back to the same place about 2 months later, and Phoebe was sitting at our table, surrounded by lots of different people, when in walked this same man. Her hackles went up, and she would NOT stop barking and growling ~ something she so seldom does.

As for being clownish... I think that would sum her up pretty well :) .

Members online

No members online now.