Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

milos_mommy

I try not to judge, and I can see why people do it, but I do think having babies much older than 40 is really not a great idea for the health risks to the baby alone, aside from the issues that come with having older parents. My cousin's mom just had a baby at 47, and thankfully he's so far healthy....but...when he graduates HS his mom will be going on 60.

Otherwise personally.....I did want to have babies young (not this young!), and thought I'd start trying at 24 or 25 (also thought it would take a long time for me to conceive). I keep saying I don't want to have any babies too far into my 30s (I think 32 would be the latest I'd want to give birth, so essentially if I was pregnant at 31, I'd stop trying). I wanted a couple of kids, and I'd love for Lilly to have a sibling really close in age, but right now isn't a good time, and I also don't want kids 3-4 years apart, so I'll wait until she's 4 to even start trying...I'll be 28. I could try to cram two in between 28-30, but IDK. I have at least 2 more years of undergrad, and I can't see trying for another one before then. I guess I could change my mind about the age difference thing.

For the general world population (or at least present day American/Canadian/Similar society-ians)...somewhere between 20-40. When they're healthy and ready and able to care for their children. Everyone's different.

If I'm not ready for another kid before 31, the current plan is to have no biological children and just do foster care or adopt a slightly older child.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I am 25 right now and my dad is 61. It actually gives me anxiety just thinking about how old he is. Although he is super healthy and fit and can kick peoples a$$es who are younger then him. It still scares me that when he is 80 I will only be in my forties.

milos_mommy

Same boat...my parents had me at 32, so really not that old. But I only have one grandmother left, she's not well, and I'm already worried about my parents health. By the time I was 10 they'd complain about sitting on the floor to play or something (granted they don't take care of themselves". And even though we were financially well off when I was a kid, they work in the same industry which had a crisis in 2006 anyway, so it's not like that was guaranteed by their security when I was born.

I can certainly see the perks to waiting until your 30s to have kids...but there are downsides too.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
How late do you think is too late to start having kids? I've been thinking about this lots since a lot of my friends are older like early 30's and have not started having babies, although they are planning on having kids eventually?

And we plan on starting to try for kids late 20's early early, early 30's.
Whatever suits you. Just remember after 35 things tend to slow down, and you're classed as an 'older mother'!

My boss is 50 and her kids are nine (biological child) and six (adopted). The first time I found out her age, I was amazed. She is super active, plays sports, plays with her kids, is a fantastic mom. My mom was 28 when she had me (I'm 27) and never did any of that stuff. So, to me, age isn't everything. I do agree with the grandparent thing though. Everleigh has four grandparents and five great grandparents in her life still.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My mom had me when she was 36 and my dad was 38. They were always the oldest parents in my group of friends, but now at 62 and 64 they are doing way better than DH's parents in their 50s. Just last weekend my parents and I went on a 7.4 mile hike with an elevation gain of 800 ft. They weren't even sore the next morning!

I *am* planning on starting the munchkin process next year when DH and I are both 29 so that we have plenty of time, just in case we have trouble conceiving. If you start at 35+ that does reduce that buffer zone.

Age of parents really is so dependent on many things. I know my DH really really hated having older parents as a child. His mom I believe was 39 when she had him. BUT, they also just have very different personalities and energy levels which compounded the issues.

CaliTerp07

It is the norm here not to have your first kid until 32-33. No one bats an eye at 40. I live in an area where many people aren't done with advanced schooling until late 20s, so it makes sense that marriage comes later, and babies even later.

I don't think there is a "too old" as long as you have a medical professional giving you appropriate advice. I would never have children earlier just so that they had a couple extra years with grandparents, but that's just me.

My parents had me at 25. Growing up, I wished they had waited a little while. It was awkward having the youngest parents (often by 10-15 years).

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't know... as a kid it never really occurred to me if my mom and dad were old or not compared to my friends parents. As far as we kids were concerned... all our parents were old :rofl1:

My parents were in their 30's when they had me but my siblings were all born when they were in their very early 20's and my youngest brother was born when my dad was into his 40's. I can't recall it ever being an issue.

My maternal grandmother died from cancer when she was in her early 50's and I was 8. My maternal grandfather killed himself long before I was born. My paternal grandfather died a couple years ago at 94 years old and my Grandmother is still around at 91. so I don't think age of my parents would have really changed much in that respect.

I had Hannah when I was 26. Some of my mom friends are much older than I am and some of them are younger but it's not awkward in any sense.

the only thing I will say is my sister didn't have her first child until she was 40 and she suffered quite a few miscarriages before carrying to term. I do NOT know for sure that her age had anything to do with it but I know miscarrying can be more common as your age goes up.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
My oldest sibling was born when my mom was 27, youngest mom was a month shy of 45. Little one was not planned. Dad was 52 when she was born! My mom had this funny fear that when the little sis came out she was going to be old looking lol. Definitely lucky that little sis is healthy and fit as a fiddle at age ten.

milos_mommy

What's everyone's LOs being for Halloween?

I'm torn between making Lillian a sheep, octopus, lion, or Lily/fairy. Her dad says just do them all, and we have enough Halloween events, but I have to make the costumes! I figure I only have about two, maybe 3 hallow wens before she has her own costume ideas, though, so I might as well cram all mine in while she's small...

milos_mommy

I'm pretty sure this is what we're doing. We're probably only going to one Halloween event which will most likely be freezing so I'll have to make it big I guess. :p

Haha, is that a pink dalek??? I can't knit or crochet, unfortunately, my DIY skills are limited to hot glue and fabric paint

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I am not sure yet what Nico will be. I have to find out if my daughter will get to be here for Halloween or not. If she is then I want them to dress in something that plays off of each other. So got to wait till we know what is happening.

Taqroy

Haha, is that a pink dalek??? I can't knit or crochet, unfortunately, my DIY skills are limited to hot glue and fabric paint
Yup! Except I think I'll make mine purple because I like it better. The severe downsides to being crafty are trying to decide what to make and then having to find time to make it. Lol.

Taq wins at parenting. <3
:p I hope people get it, I don't know how big the Doctor Who fan club is around here.

Members online

No members online now.