Sore Leg

Our puppy went to doggy day care last Tuesday and she came home with a bum back leg. There doesn't seem to be any soreness to the touch as we have felt it over and over. After she moves for a little bit, she seems to be fine. Its not Saturday night and she still hobbles a little bit when she gets up and then is mostly fine after about 10 steps. We are guessing she just has a bruised muscle or sore muscle. Is there anything that we should do or just keep her activity down for a few days?

elegy

overdogged
i would keep her activity down and if it doesn't get better, have a vet check it.

how old is she?

4 1/2 months. It is frusterating because we would like to bring her back to puppy daycare a couple days this week since my wife starts back teaching but I don't think we will be able to. Osa seemed fine this morning but it was yesterday after she played with another pup that it seemed to agravate it. Unfortunatly, I know muscle injuries can take some time to heal.

Its also very difficult to keep a puppy's activity down.

simorny

see you * the top
i suggest you take your pet to vet to be examine, it might be dog arthritis no one knows now, the vet will really know what was wrong and how to take care of the problem

So we went to the vet yesterday and it looks as though Osa streched her ACL. So the vet gave her some anti-inflammatory meds for 10 days and she is basically leash bound for the next 2 weeks. He said that slow walks are fine but we tried it last night and it worked a little. She is a puppy, she wants to go,go,go,go.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep the puppy occupied since she can't run? She loves to run so it will be hard to slow her down.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Filled Kongs help a bit! :)

Right now she needs all of the mental stimulation she can get from a toy. Make things interesting for her. Thats the best way to keep her occupied :)

Good luck! and MAKE SURE you keep her quiet so she doesn't ruin her ACL..

Barb04

Super Moderator
Do you think if you kept small treats with you when you take her out she might be less tempted to run. It's so hard when they are this young.

She just loves to run. We have a big backyard with woods and her favorite thing to do is run laps. Treats may help but I think she would pick running over treats when she hasn't run.

We are going to look for new toys to keep her stimulated and really work with her training so she doesn't have time to run.

Gosh, I keep think how hard this is going to be and how hard it is going to be on her. I wish I could tell her why we are having to do this so she would understand.

Members online

No members online now.