Max, injured his foot, what a day!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I couldn't believe what happened yesterday. Max loves to dig holes so we went out and bought bags of top soil to start filling the holes so the dogs wouldn't hurt themselves running. We got halfway done and decided to take a break. The wheelbarrow we were using was in the yard. Max was playing with CJ when he ran backwards, hit the wheelbarrow, jumped up and started limping. Being the calm one as usual, I screemed "Max!!!!!". He sat down and his front paw was bleeding, but he could apply pressure. I held his collar and we walked inside. I applied ice and pressure but the bleeding didn't stop. Max got up, blood all over the floor and jumped on top of the bed (blood on the comforter). I managed to put a sock on his leg and off to the vet.

Of course, CJ had to go for a "ride", Kona is in her cage (very happy in there with a toy and snack). The vet said he cut his pad but can't use stitches. The vet tried to bandage and Max pulled leg back and it all came off. Now I got him to lay on the floor, I turned him on his side, and laid on top of him. Carl made sure his head was away from vet. The vet bandaged it up and said it would take about 10 days to heal. Once the bandage came off, I should soak it in espon salts.

I have to say Max was so good! I can't believe how he and I bonded through the whole experience. Imagine me with a back that's been hurting trying to turn over a 115 lb. dog. I knew I had to do it so I did it.

I'm so glad Max didn't break a leg or anything worse. The irony in this whole thing was that here we were filling holes so they wouldn't get hurt, and Max gets hurt by the wheelbarrow. He was rewarded with a very good dinner last night for being such a good boy.

Poor Max! I was just getting ready to post a thread asking you why we hadn't heard any CJ, Max or Kona stories lately . . .

I've dealt with quite a few cut pads, and they usually look worse than they really are - a little superglue gel works wonders in most cases, along with some treats and sympathy, lol!

Have you asked your vet about bringing Kona by for some socialization visits? Our vet really appreciates us bringing the girls by for little "meet-n-greets" periodically. Everyone pets them, gives them treats, they take them back and weigh them, and the girls are convinced that the vet's office is a great place to go. It cuts back a lot on potential trauma - to both dogs and vet - when they really do have to go for a reason. Dr. P's dealt with Filas before, lol! The same type of visits should be beneficial for a Bandog as well.

wow, sure glad he didnt get hurt any worse than that. Poor guy. Well mommy made him all better!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
all my and Victor's sympathy and empathy....HE is such an elegant dog...i hope he heals quickly.

bogolove

I am SO glad Max is ok. I have a certain affection for him. ;) He reminds of someone I know...

That picture of him is truly spectacular. He looks SO much like Brady, just a taller longer version. That tail and those ears and even just the look on his face remind me of him so much. Just picture Max at 80 pounds instead of his whopping 115 and you have Brady.

bogolove

LOL! I went back and looked at it again, and even the look on his face is like when Brady gets my pillows. His eyes and everything! His nose is a little longer though, but I recognize that look on his face!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I just downlodad the pic of Max with his bandage. He took it off early this morning and it looks okay.

nedim

I'm glad to hear it didnt turn out worse than it did. Did he cut his leg on the wheelbarrow or something else?

Barb04

Super Moderator
He did in on the wheelbarrow. He was running backwards and hit into the wheelbarrow and then jumped up into the air landing on the edge of it. I had the picture of him doing it in my mind all night. So far it's looking good and hasn't been bleeding at all. I'm so happy for happy endings.

Saje

Island dweller
You're a better mom than me! When mav split his paw I just cleaned it and taped it up. It healed eventually. We weren't successful at keeping him off it though! THat is a determined dog.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I was trying to clean it and stop the bleeding. I would have tried maybe a little longer, but Carl is more of a softy than me and wanted to rush to the vet even sooner.

Members online

No members online now.