Greenies Bad News

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah, I read this when the KC Star ran the article. I'm trying to get work to quit carrying them; I found these dehydrated sweet potato slices yesterday where I buy my Innova from, and am looking into those as a possible replacement suggestion. It's nothing but sweet potato, no preservatives, no wheat, no corn, nothing. Just potato that's dry.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I saw that the other day when I was looking at something it said 13 dogs had died because of them :(

Wow. Bout time this all started becoming public knowledge. The guy that is suing the Greenie Company was on Dogster and made a thread telling about how his dog, Burt died from Greenies. Good for him! He was so crushed and he is doing something about it. He is the one that made me aware of the dangers. Wouldn't it be great if, through his efforts, those **** things were finally pulled from the shelves for good?

Pam

mojozen

bullie lover
I've always found this to be an amusing thing -

Roetheli, who runs S&M NuTec from Kansas City, Missouri, says Greenies do break down when properly chewed and swallowed by a dog.

He told CNN that any product has the potential to cause an obstruction in a dog and that Greenies packaging warns dog owners to monitor their dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. "Gulping any item can be harmful or even fatal to a dog," the package says
And it's amusing to me because I know of several dogs who do not chew their food. They gulp it down quickly. I also believe dog's teeth aren't meant for thorough chewign - they are designed to gulp food down as quickly as they can.

I'm fortunate that Mojo chews - and makes a mess of crumbs - but I stopped giving these to him a year ago based on reports that they can cause the sometimes fatal obstructions.

It seems like you have to be careful of just about everything that enters a dog's mouth - regardless if they are a chewer or not. :(

B

brock23

After watching Otto gulp down his first Greenie a few weeks ago I immediately threw them away.

RD

Are you dead yet?
That is so ridiculous. Who would give their dog a treat like that if the dog didn't chew?

I can think of numerous things that are far better for a dog than greenies (raw bones) but people say they're dangerous too. :rolleyes: Only difference is, you can't run all over the internet badmouthing cattle and trying to sue cattle ranchers because of a dog getting an obstruction from a raw bone.

If people supervised their dogs while eating things like bones and greenies, the dogs wouldn't have a chance to gulp down a huge piece and get an obstruction. Shame on the owners.

If people supervised their dogs while eating things like bones and greenies, the dogs wouldn't have a chance to gulp down a huge piece and get an obstruction. Shame on the owners. (Quote)

RD, believe it or not, more pet owners than you could even imagine are totally ignorant about what can harm their dogs.
People take it for granted that if a dog chew item is sold in a store, then it must be "safe" and therefore don't think twice about not supervising their dogs when they give them these "chewies". Do you think a dog should pay with its' life because of the owners ignorance? I don't.
I think people should be well aware of what could happen with Greenies, rawhydes etc. We all know about the "warning" on the Greenie package in small print but as we're said before, those things are sold in bulk and unpackaged, also.
The fact is, Greenies do not digest. I find it hard to believe that they digest even when chewed. If the pieces are small enough, the dog will simply crap them out. False advertising, plain and simple.
And to the Greenie Co. founder and his claim about how well they clean teeth and how much safer they are than putting a dog under at the Vets for a cleaning...well, gee, I'd be much happier if my dog expired from a Greenie knowing that his teeth were clean. : (
BTW...the guy who is suing the company seemed truley heartbroken over the death of his dog and I think the lawsuit is just his effort to get the word out and to shut the company down. I really don't think it's about the money and I doubt he is going to even get that money anyway. I spoke to him in e-mail and he is a really nice guy.

Pam

joce

Its nto even the fact that they don't chew. If a dog has a couple little pieces collect in a part of the intestine and the slimy stuff reaches it it turns form a licquid slime back into a solidified mess. So your dog could chew every bit if it to have it reharden in the intestine.

B

brock23

I always watch my dog eat his bones, but with that being said if I turn around for a moment and when I turn back the greenie is gone there is not much I can do about it. Believe me not every dog owner in the world is informed as a chazhound owner, but that doesn't mean that they are bad people because they don't watch every bone that goes into their dog's mouth.

Pomp

Greenies to Change Dog Treat Packaging

S&M NuTec, based in North Kansas City, also said Wednesday it may remove a claim that Greenies were fully edible, saying its own study shows a dog can only digest up to 85 percent of the bone-shaped treat.

“What we’re interested in is the safety of the dog,” Joe Roetheli, the company’s co-founder and chief executive, told reporters during a conference call.

Roetheli said the company planned to enlarge and expand wording on packaging that tells dog owners to carefully monitor their pets when feeding them Greenies, and make sure they feed their dogs the right size of treat. The company has long warned that dogs who gulp their food or otherwise do not adequately chew Greenies could have trouble digesting the treat, as could animals eating Greenies that are too big or too small for them.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/13937191.htm

Zoom said:
Yeah, I read this when the KC Star ran the article. I'm trying to get work to quit carrying them; I found these dehydrated sweet potato slices yesterday where I buy my Innova from, and am looking into those as a possible replacement suggestion. It's nothing but sweet potato, no preservatives, no wheat, no corn, nothing. Just potato that's dry.
Hey Zoom can you tell me were you get those?
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.