Looking for a few good breeders

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I was talking with some friends this evening and they told me that they're really looking for a 13" male dark(er) tri-color beagle puppy. I ran them through a gauntlet of questions, just to make sure they weren't being sucked in by puppy love, but they passed. The biggest problem they have is where to actually get the puppy. They've checked around and Kansas itself seems to be a wee bit short of Beagle breeders that wouldnt' require them to drive half the state. They've looked on the Web and so have I, but we've both come up empty-handed. So, do any of you know of some good, reputable breeders that will ship a short distance to Eastern Kansas or some good breeders in Eastern Kansas/Western Missouri? I warned them about pet stores and classified puppies.

luvmydogs

if they REALLY want one, they dont mind driving quite a distance. if they dont have the $$ for gas...then they shouldnt have pets ;) sorry, not tryin to be mean, but its the truth...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I know distance isn't *that* huge of a deal, they're willing to drive at least 45 minutes to go to the vet they like. I think it's just more of they don't want to drive 7 hours because they feel it's too stressful to an 8 week old puppy.

The fact still remains that there really aren't many breeders around these parts.

A 7 or 8 hour drive should be NO BIG DEAL! You bond with the puppy while in the car and make multiple stops along the way!! That's a GREAT way to bond with the puppy. I don't understand where you're coming from. That scenario is MUCH different than boxing up the dog and putting him into checked luggage... or even worse, a "transported animal" in the belly of a plane.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Hey, hey, it's not my puppy. I don't have a problem with driving, but this is them and not me. I'm just trying to help out and find them a place to start looking besides the BYB classifieds.

Zoom said:
Hey, hey, it's not my puppy. I don't have a problem with driving, but this is them and not me. I'm just trying to help out and find them a place to start looking besides the BYB classifieds.
Sorry to be so hot on the subject. I guess I don't see a big deal with transporting the baby by car because you can make stops along the way. In fact, that makes the bonding experience even better!!!

skyhigh

We traveled 2 hours to get my pup. She just took it as an adventure. But personaly i wouldn't travel 10 hours. I get really bad car sickness. Like real bad. I was struggling to go for the 2 hour journey. But yeah

Fran27

I think it's the main reason why lots of people don't get their dogs from good breeders. They are too rare, too far apart, and lots of people, often misinformed, don't want to bother waiting 6 months or travelling 10 hours for it...

I was looking for a newfoundland breeder about 10 months ago. The closest ones were 4-5 hours away from here. The first one told me they would have pups in March, and to contact them in December to go see the mom. I did, and she was 'oh no our next litter will be in one year now'. Um thanks... She told me to contact another breeder, which I did, and I never got a reply. From the 5 breeders I contacted, that was the only reply I got. Sure, it was emails, but I really think it wasn't serious at all from them... If they give their email address, they should at least reply... at least for a first contact, and I was asking about going to visit them to see their dogs etc. So I never got my newfie :(

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Aww, that's sad about the Newfie.

I think they were also worried about possible car sickness with the pup and that it would fear imprint on the car. My friend has even arranged her schedual so that she can work from home the first month they'll have the puppy and they've been researching for about 2 years on the breed. I wrote them last night, I'll see what they have to say after I get home from work today.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
I got Belly from a breeder in Brazil but she wasn't shipped. She went on a leash, sitting right next to my dad. Most planes probaly won't let you do that here, in the US, though:( And I couldn't find any reputable breeders in Kansas.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think I found a couple in Missouri. We're both close enough to the state line that MO isn't out of the question.

www.tarboo.com is one. It's a very sparse website though, so I don't know what to make of that.

Fran27

Well your friend can contact them and ask all the right questions. I'm sure lots of breeders are too busy to even have a website.

bubbatd

I shipped a pup from Indiana to Denver with no problems. I think he had to be 12 weeks old to fly. Of course both the owner and I were basket cases until he arrived!! He was a happy pup, didn't throw up or even dirty his cage. I'd never ship if it wasn't a through flight though. We went from Quebec to Conneticut to get my 1st golden.....was a good trip. One of my pups went from Indy to Florida....a long drive !! No problems .

Ash47

Taco Dog
We went on a 3hr. drive to get Roxy Mae. She despises riding in the car. I wouldn't say it was because of that though.

most pups get car sick, but I would never ship a pup, if they really want a pup and are willing to wait for the right one, then they sould wait, and soon one may turn up near them, no point in rushing

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
My husband and I raise field Beagles and he may know of someone that is near you that may have some pups available he knows more Beagle people than I do I would say that we may be able to help but at this time we have no intentions of breeding a litter and besides we live in Michigan and we are very careful who we place our pups with and like to do home checks and try to stay within a few hours drive and not only that our pups are usually spoken for before they arrive good luck on your indevor

Members online

No members online now.