Cats sense illness?

dogaddict

A friend's grandmother was diagnosed with dementia a while back. The family then noticed that their cat's health started to deteriorate almost exactly along with the grandmother, who was the one who took care of the cat most. He's been getting thinner and refuses to eat sometimes. Could be a complete coincidence, but just wondering! Opinions?
This came to mind: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6919063.stm

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I think they can. They can certainly sense the decline or loss of someone they love. But as for the losing weight . . . it might just be the family didn't know the cat's routines, and wasn't doing things the way that old cat liked it. Cats can be VERY picky about how their lives are run.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Cats can be VERY picky about how their lives are run.

Such a true statement Lilavati.

I think cats can definitely sense illness. I think dogs can sense illness too and horses and whatever. I wonder too if the family just didn't know the cat's routine. Most cats don't really like change.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
When my sister and I were kids, our cats used to come lay with us whenever we were sick. When we were well, it was MEOW FEED US. When we were sick the cats were all cuddles. I definitely think animals can sense illness.

The cat in question should probably get a blood panel done. He could have hyperthyroidism, or something wrong with his kidneys, or a multitude of other things.

dogaddict

Very interesting! After I posted this I thought about it and realised my dog can sense when I'm very sad about something, so it seems we all feel the same way. I'm not sure whether the cat was brought to the vet but I really hope so!

Members online

No members online now.