behaviorists in Portland, Oregon

My 5 year old border collie/lab mix Jett is developing some separation anxiety issues and is occasionally aggressive to other dogs. I'd like to get some professional help with this before it gets out of hand.

In the hope that this info will help with a recommendation, here's the situation. 95% of the time she is a wonderful dog. Part of the problem is that she spends too much time with me. She comes with me to work and is with me for the majority of the day every day. I live with my girlfriend and while Jett really likes my girlfriend, Jett is definitely concerned when I am not around. She is also beside herself with excitement when I come home. This separation anxiety is also seen with a recent jealousy of our two cats. If I'm playing with one of the cats she has to go find a toy and try to convince me to play with her.

The real problem I am worried about is her aggression toward other dogs. She's a ball-dog all the way. She gets to run and chase the ball every day, exercise is what has kept her sane so far. If we skip a day she deals ok, but if I were to skip two days in a row she starts displaying typical border collie restlessness. If another dog is at the park and steals her ball, she just ignores it. But if another dog tries to mount her, or is in her face barking and trying to wrestle she snaps and chases them barking and snapping feircly. 99% of the time she is very submissive but as soon as another dog 'gets on her nerves she let's 'em have it.

It's not like she doesn't like other dogs. She is often curious to go say hello and have a sniff. She has dog friends that she wrestles with. She can growl in a playful non-aggressive manner while playing tug with certain other dogs.

I realize that it is me that needs training more than her. Who do you know in Portland that can help me with these issues?

lizzybeth727

Check out this website for a search for an applied animal behaviorist. Luckily Oregon has a large concentration of the country's best trainers and behaviorists, so you should be able to find a good one!

Members online

No members online now.