why is it that some breeds dont have to prove...

showpug said:
Oh, and horray for you, it's not everyday that someone can claim that their lab is thin. They are just so fat and unhealthy now days!!! :eek:
Once I was afraid she was TOO thin. We had the vet weigh her - I was afraid she was at least ten pounds under weight - but she was healthy at about sixty three pounds, which is where she is now. She looks like a twig. We get, "Wow she's really small," a lot. She's not one of those labs that weighs one hundred pounds and is almost as big as a dane, she's a nice, medium-sized, sixty pound lab.

Doberluv

When I had GSDs, prior to about 14 yrs ago, I heard they were bred to herd sheep, not bred for the purpose of doing Schutzhund. This protection thing for humans and against humans is not what they were originally bred for, was it? Weren't they suppose to protect sheep? I know they make wonderful protection dogs, obviously. But as long as we're talking original purpose....

I think the Lab is suppose to be fairly sturdy, stocky, etc to enable it to push through thick brush in the wilderness of Canada when upland hunting. Of course, not obese and show winners of any breed need to be in good shape. What you're probably seeing is muscle. They're not only good water fowl retrievers, but good upland hunters. Look at a Newfoundland. Part of a Labrador's ancerstory is the Newfoundland.

My female Lab was rather small, shortish, fairly stocky, her head wasn't as blocky as I'd like. Her sire was a Canadian champion and field trial champion and was very, very stocky....short, strong, sturdy. Her mother was an American field trial champion and not as good looking.(IMO) She was not a conformational champ. She was a tad more the lanky look and a pointier, lighter head. Bonnie came out looking better than her mother and not as good as her father. LOL. This was a hobby breeder I think....not a back yard breeder, exactly. He was responsible in most ways but probably shouldn't have bred the female because her conformation wasn't impeccable. But she sure had a wonderful dispostition...sweet and exuberant. The dad was more laid back...really sweet. This guy wasn't in it for the money. He had scads of money anyhow. He spayed her after this litter and gave me back $100.00 if I had Bonnie spayed. LOL. This was about 14 yrs. ago.

showpug

Doberluv said:
When I had GSDs, prior to about 14 yrs ago, I heard they were bred to herd sheep, not bred for the purpose of doing Schutzhund. This protection thing for humans and against humans is not what they were originally bred for, was it? Weren't they suppose to protect sheep? I know they make wonderful protection dogs, obviously. But as long as we're talking original purpose....

I think the Lab is suppose to be fairly sturdy, stocky, etc to enable it to push through thick brush in the wilderness of Canada when upland hunting. Of course, not obese and show winners of any breed need to be in good shape. What you're probably seeing is muscle. They're not only good water fowl retrievers, but good upland hunters. Look at a Newfoundland. Part of a Labrador's ancerstory is the Newfoundland.

My female Lab was rather small, shortish, fairly stocky, her head wasn't as blocky as I'd like. Her sire was a Canadian champion and field trial champion and was very, very stocky....short, strong, sturdy. Her mother was an American field trial champion and not as good looking.(IMO) She was not a conformational champ. She was a tad more the lanky look and a pointier, lighter head. Bonnie came out looking better than her mother and not as good as her father. LOL. This was a hobby breeder I think....not a back yard breeder, exactly. He was responsible in most ways but probably shouldn't have bred the female because her conformation wasn't impeccable. But she sure had a wonderful dispostition...sweet and exuberant. The dad was more laid back...really sweet. This guy wasn't in it for the money. He had scads of money anyhow. He spayed her after this litter and gave me back $100.00 if I had Bonnie spayed. LOL. This was about 14 yrs. ago.
No, what I am seeing is fat :eek: LOL!!! I really can tell the difference...I have pugs, remember ? LOL! Either way, I can appreciate a stocky strong structure, but that is different from the morbid obesity that I am seeing. When you have to dig through play-dough to find a rib, that's fat...no matter how "stocky" the dogs is. :D

mydog

Doberluv, Yes they were breed to herd and protect the sheep. But as time went by they were less and less work for the gsd in herding and that is when Schutzhund came in to play for the gsd. Max seen that the gsd could do more than what it was meant for (herding).

RD

Are you dead yet?
You DO NOT want to get me started on this. :)

Of course I will get started on it, but only when I have the time for a big, long rant.

Members online

No members online now.