Salmon Oil okay for cats?

LaRe

Okay, so I got salmon oil for the dogs, and I'm wondering if it is okay to give it to my cat as well. She has extremely dry skin in the winter and I was wondering if it would help so she's not so itchy...

She has some weight issues, and I was also wondering if it would be bad for her weight as well....

THANKS for any suggestions...

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Okay, so I got salmon oil for the dogs, and I'm wondering if it is okay to give it to my cat as well. She has extremely dry skin in the winter and I was wondering if it would help so she's not so itchy...

She has some weight issues, and I was also wondering if it would be bad for her weight as well....

THANKS for any suggestions...
Well, I can't imagine that it would be harmful . . . but it IS fattening. I cut back Sarama's serving after she put on a pound or so.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I gave Goober Alaskan Salmon Oil... only a small amount on his food daily because my landlord runs the heater so much and it's dried out his skin. I think that's why his poop stinks so bad all of a sudden and isn't firm. So I'm not giving him the salmon oil anymore and taking him to the vet to check on it. It could be a result of the salmon oil or it could be something else so I'm getting him checked out. I don't think it would be necessarily bad for cats in very small doses. I think maybe Goober may have just had a reaction to it or something. I'm honestly not sure. I'm just going to talk to the vet about it. I would be interested to hear what other posters have to say.

imanetjunkie2

JeffersPet.com
Salmon oil is excellent for dogs, cats, even humans. It is an oil so naturally there is fat but it is the best kind. It is loaded with Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty acids which are good, not only for skin and coat, but also heart, joints, and brain. It doesn't take a lot, probably a teaspoon or less on kitty's dry food, once a day, would be great. If it turns out that your pet has a sensitivity or something with the oil, you can try a brewer's yeast supplement with Omega-3. 8-in-1 makes one and markets it under the Excel brand. One other option, Arctic Paws makes a treat for cats called Yummy Chummies (made with Alaskan salmon). They make one for dogs as well. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.