wellness going down hill?

shazbot

not so newby
Today I was at the grocery store and saw Wellness for sale. I know it's changed it's formulas...does this mean that it's turning into a low quality food?

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I buy there treats and Caiza loves them especially the venison and salmon jerky :D He also loves the apple,banana, and yogurt crunchy treats. They just started carrying the Wellness at Pet Supplies Plus and they also carry it at Whole Foods to. I feed Timberwolf organics lamb and apple so I'm not to sure if the quality of the Wellness is going down hill :confused: I wouldn't think so.

Herschel

We tried to feed Herschel the Super5Mix Puppy formula when we first got him and he had constant diarrhea and gas. Apparently that is fairly common with their foods!

I think their formulas have gone down hill. They are very mass market now and I'm not really surprised to see that they are in a grocery store. Is it a natural foods store or just a run of the mill grocery store?

shazbot

not so newby
We tried to feed Herschel the Super5Mix Puppy formula when we first got him and he had constant diarrhea and gas. Apparently that is fairly common with their foods!

I think their formulas have gone down hill. They are very mass market now and I'm not really surprised to see that they are in a grocery store. Is it a natural foods store or just a run of the mill grocery store?

Just a normal run of the mill grocery store. Nothing special about it.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Wow, that's strange- I've never seen their food in a grocery store. I know that they sell to Petsupermarket now, though.

We tried Wellness a while back and the chis did decently well on it. We also had a foster chi on the Super5Mix Puppy, and she handled it fine as well.

I don't have anything bad to say about Wellness... the food isn't the best out there (they are missing a bunch of ingredients that I like to see in foods), but it's decent.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Our dogs also get their apple, banana and yogurt treats. They are a hit in this house.

When Banzai first came to us he was on the wellness puppy, but I thought it was way too overpriced for its "quality". It's not horrible food, but it's not the best for its price either.

Just because a product is being mass produced does not mean that it's gone down in quality.

shazbot

not so newby
I feed my guys the apple, banana and yogurt treats also, as well as the grain free chewy treats. They love them.

I was just curious, what every one thought about them selling to a grocery store. I don't feed wellness, so I'm not sure of the overall quality.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I've been told wellness has also crept into walmarts as of January at least stateside.. but I don't live there.

The supermix chicken has revamped their ingredients minorly again since October, I just looked at the ingredient list last night. Bugs me they can't just leave formulas without constant tweaking.

We did feed wellness.. and then they had their insoluble fiber oops last year. 33 pounds of dog food creating liquid dog poop later, I gave up on them even though they fixed it later, they didn't have to deal with my mess.

Luvntzus

I've just heard of LOTS of dogs having stool issues on Wellness. It seems like more people have problems with it than not...

sam

Wellness *was* a decent food, then Old Mother Hubbard got bought out by a big company and things went down hill.I have heard of loads of problems since they cahnged their formulation.
I didn't have much luck with it even before they were bought out-- it was baked rather than low temperature extruded and Sammy went from pearly white teeth to tons of tartar really quickly on it.

Wellness *was* a decent food, then Old Mother Hubbard got bought out by a big company and things went down hill.I have heard of loads of problems since they cahnged their formulation.
I didn't have much luck with it even before they were bought out-- it was baked rather than low temperature extruded and Sammy went from pearly white teeth to tons of tartar really quickly on it.

Where or how did you find out about this? Do you have a website or anymore info of this? Do you remember when they changed the formula? Did they inform the customers? Any info would be most helpful!!!

Thank You

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
My only experience with Wellness was not a good one. My cats would not eat it except for one, and he almost always vomited after he ate it. So it didn't stay on the menu long around here.

sam

Where or how did you find out about this? Do you have a website or anymore info of this? Do you remember when they changed the formula? Did they inform the customers? Any info would be most helpful!!!

Thank You
I knew about it mostly because I am big dognerd :D and I was really researching nutrition back then and I post at another forum that focuses heavily on nutrition and health.
A friend's dog who had had years of problems with dog food was doing really well on Wellness and got sick again when they changed the formulation, so I remember her driving all over the city trying to get any bags of the old formulation while she tried to find another food her dog did well on. Turns out her dog had big intolerance to rice.

There was info on the website at the time. The fact that the formula had changed was written on the bag. It must have been a year or so ago.

If you don't find the info you want on their website try www.dogfoodproject.com

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
It was like April last year.. We got a new bag of the whitefish, it said that the new formula was richer and to treat it like a kibble switch, problem was we were out of kibble, we thought we had bought the same. Little booklet said more dogs preferred the new formula, etc..
It was months before that bag was gone, and we got endless cow plops till it was..
They had screwed up the insoluble fiber ratio they told me when I b****** at woofstock to the OMH booth, and it was 'fine now' I said that was nice, but my dog and I had near three months of misery, we'd wouldn't be going back.

Kayla

I've been feeding Wellness to my cats for 2 years now and to my Puppy for 5 months and have never had an issue with it. The ingerdients have not changed and they still contain no by-products, soy, wheat gleutien ( notice even there wet food was not part of the recall for this reason), corn or other fillers and is cooked at a lower temperature which does not destroy essential neutrients. They are also one of the few companies which include pro biotics. As for runny stools, yes some dogs do have a bit of trouble with it at first though as long as they are not losing weight, getting sick or appear to have a poor coat then I see no problem with it.

Some of the forumals are richer then others so it's best to start off on their chicken formula.

Kayla

Members online

No members online now.