Fleas!!!! D:

so my stepfathers son went overseas on a tour of duty and left his flea ridden dog here with us without telling us he had fleas, now my dog, and my stepdads dog have fleas and i am pissed, i was wondering if someone could let me know what they did that worked to get rid of them, and what type of products did you use?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Laundry on HOT for all the dog stuff
Dawn dishsoap baths for all the animals
I don't have carpet but if I did, I would get some flea powder, foam, shampoo stuff..and vacuum vacuum vacuum!

and k9advantix is the only thing that works here. Frontline is like very expensive water.. there appears to be some kind of flea immunity

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
i agree with the frontline comment... so just dish soap works on getting them off?, we were going to bomb every bit of the house we can
Dawn will kill the ones on the dog pretty well. Just rinse, lather up really well, let it sit for a minute and then rinse again. I usually do it twice just in case then do some conditioner since dish soap is really drying!

oh yea. and totally bomb the place if you can..

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Flea shampoo works, too, but the chemicals are more harsh on the dogs. I would try the Dawn first. And Fran's other suggestions.

If you have carpets, vacuum them every day and empty the vacuum bag/canister all the way out to the trash. I've dealt with a pretty bad flea problem before, and the main thing is just to keep after it for a while. That way you get the adults, larvae and eggs and no more hatch. It may take a couple of weeks. Bombing the house is not a bad idea either.

Frontline doesn't work here, either. Advantage II seems to work, but not regular Advantage.

We've been slammed with them here this year. Advantix has been the only thing that's worked. The individual vials are expensive, though, so I ordered a bulk vial from Discount Flea through Amazon for $46. If I remember right, it's equivalent to ten of the largest single vials.

spiffy

Guess you and your stepfather are scratching too. :lol-sign: Flea treatment products are widely available. You can get a prescription from a vet or you can opt for over the counter products. But to remove these pesky fleas from the dogs and from your home it would be best to wash the dogs' bed, blanket and toys in hot water. More importantly, use the vacuum more often.

Danefied

apparently my dad's girl friend used a pill? it supposedly kills them within 30 minutes, anyone tried this?
The pill is either capstar, comfortis, or trifexis.
Capstar treats the fleas your dog has but won’t prevent him from getting more.
Comfortis treats and prevents fleas.
Trifexis prevents fleas and heartworm.

I have used comfortis with good results, but we did not have a bad infestation. Never saw actual fleas, just saw the dogs itching and one had flea dirt.
A friend of mine has been battling fleas all summer and comfortis didn’t work for her.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
apparently my dad's girl friend used a pill? it supposedly kills them within 30 minutes, anyone tried this?
That's probably Capstar. It kills the adult fleas within a day (starts working within 30 minutes) and is good for immediate relief for the pet and slight ease of housecleaning for the owner, haha.

You still need to use a treatment of some sort for a few months to take care of hatching eggs and stopping the overall flea life cycle. You should also still be vigilant with washing/vacuuming for quite a while.

We had a minor flea issue almost a month ago here and the dogs/cat just got their second treatment of Advantix/Advantage and a full vacuum/wash is happening again on Monday. Le sigh.

Members online

No members online now.