Puppy Apartment Training

phraud

I have a 7 wk old beagle that I'm trying to potty train. Since I live in an apartment, it's hard to teach him to go outside since I have to go out my front door, wait for the elevator, go down six floor, and run out across the street to the nearest tree. Also, he hasn't had all of his shots yet, so I don't want him picking up anything from the other dogs in the apartment complex. Fortunately, I have a good sized wooden deck attached to my apartment. I went to home depot and bought a little mat of astroturf (the fake green grass carpet thingy) that he can do his business on. It seems to be working for now, but I'm afraid that he's going to only go on astroturf, and other things like it (like carpet), and not on grass or dirt outside. Is there a better way of going about this?

1st of all, how did you get a 7 week old puppy? They usually are suppose to be with their moms until like 8 to 12 weeks from what I've read? Also, 7 weeks is way to young for them to completely get the potty training that is going to take some time. As far as apartment living and not being able to take him outside I would either litter box train him or potty pad train him.. I'm sure they'll be other's around with more suggestions.

Hi Phraud
I am in the same situation as you, I live in a 6th floor apartment and it is just not practical to get downstairs everytime my 4 mth old chihuahua Baxter needs to go to the toilet.
What i have done is paper train him by putting paper everywhere there was carpet and slowly make the area of paper smaller, he learnt instantly only to go on paper and not other surfaces in the apartment.
I now have a tiny area of paper and a litter tray with paper which he goes in now, the next step is to move the litter tray to the balcony.
In answer to your question about whether your dog will go on normal grass etc, I think he will because even though Baxter was paper trained, as soon as he had all his shots I took him to various outside areas and he would go on the grass, basically I think if they need to go they need to go they can't hold it forever! (well you would hope)
I am by no means a dog expert, but one thing I have learnt is that everyone's situations are different and sometimes you have to adapt ideas to suit your situation
good luck

Y

yuckaduck

I use to live over a grocery store so I used the porch when they were young and then moved down to the grass. But we had no elevator, walked out the door and you were outside. So that is much easier. If it is a small dog then paper training and litter box training sounds great to me. Espically when the elvators and or stairs take to long and it is to hard for them to hold it that long.

We live in an apartment too. We have piddle pad trained Chopper. He does his business in the bathroom on his piddle pads. He has started going outside when we are home to take him, but he know that he can go on the piddle pads at anytime. We decided to train him that way because the "rough" St. Augustine grass here in FL bothered his backside when we first got him.

In fact, we weren't sure if Chopper would ever go potty outside, but after a trip home (to MN) where he played outside most of the day, he started going on his own and we have continued to take him outside and let him do his business. Unfortunately, there are some irresponsible pet owners in our area who do not clean up after their dogs, so we have to be very carefully when we take Chopper out.

Hope that helps.

Members online

No members online now.