Agility, showing...?

skyhigh

OK. As most of you know I got a German Shepherd pup last week. She's nearly 12 weeks now. Anyway, her last lot of shots are next week. After that, we're going to introduce her to other dogs... I want to do showing with her as well as agility when she's older and maybe obedience. She is able to go showing b/c she is a pure-bred pedigree blaa blaa dog. LOL. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has done agility with theirdogs or showing? And a bit about it? Thanks. She's going to puppy school in two weeks and show training classes after that. Do you guys think i's a good idea?

tcreed

Sure, but the only thing. Showing is great, but did the breeder say she is show quality?! I have a pure GSD, but he's a working dog and does not possess the slant like the show GSD's. Just keep that in mind. And, agility is great for dogs. Dante started at 10 weeks.

skyhigh

Thanks. Yeh, the breeder said she will do great. She's not really working type. Even though the breeder did herding with them too though. Dante is adorable. What did you start at 10 weeks? Maddy is 11 weeks now. What age did you start jumps? Did you make that equipment in the pic or buy it? I made some equipement for my border collie. We got him at a year old. So he was able to start learning to jump. Sorry about all the questions. You don't have to answer all of them. :)

Sky

tcreed

They do 4" jumps in puppy agility (but it's like walking over the pole for most puppies), and yes I made the jumps in the pics. No problem!

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Pups shouldn't be doing any real jumping or heavy excercising till they are around a year old. As for everything else, start as early as you like! Remember to keep it fun and positive. If your dog ever shies from an obstacle wait until they are comfortable again.

Fran27

I'm sure Showpugs will have lots of advice regarding showing.

Definitely wait for agility, but you can start obedience in groups as soon as the shots are done.

skyhigh

Thanks again for those links. I might be getting those books plus more. Just gotta tell my dad about it. He'll chip in. lol. So, wheres those pics? lol

Members online