How should i introduce my new pup to my dog?

vegas

Hi

I have a 9 month old cavalier king charles and have decided to get another (next week when i drive down to london, it'll be a pup from my friends 2 dogs, they're both kc registered and in great health).

I feel sorry for my dog because she has no one to play with while i work (i work at home) and she sits on the couch board for 4 hours until i finish and play with her for a hour and then she sits there board again while i work for another 3 hours.

So i thought i would get a second cavalier king charles so they can at least have each other company and if i ever need to go to the office they have each other for a few hours.

When i bring the pup home what should i do???
Should i just put them infront of each other?
Should i put my dog in her crate and let the other one take its time if it needs to, to go upto her??

If anyone has done this i would be greatful on any help given.

Thanks

(sorry about the spelling im using my friends key board and it has no english keys,lol)

oriondw

user not active
Introduce them off-property on leashes, in a casual way that you meet all your dog friends. ( need 2 people for this)

Most dogs like puppies so there shouldnt be a problem. Then walk them into the house together and let them play for a bit.

9month old one is still a puppy in it self so i dont think there will be a problem.

Dont just put them in front of each other. Dont know about king charles but my dog hates when a new dogs gets in his face. Letting them meet off-property will be much easier :)

At first it would be good idea to keep them separated when you are not there for a little while.

vegas

How long do you mean for a little while?
See my dog LOVES any and everyone and thing, in the park she tries to play with every dog she sees but i still have wworrie what if she gets jelous because she isn't getting all the attention.

What if they fight.

oriondw

user not active
vegas said:
How long do you mean for a little while?
See my dog LOVES any and everyone and thing, in the park she tries to play with every dog she sees but i still have wworrie what if she gets jelous because she isn't getting all the attention.

What if they fight.
If first dog is a female, get a male puppy :) Its what I would do anyways.

The time needed really depends on the dogs. Im sure you will be a good judge of when they are ready to be together. Some dogs dont need it at all, some cant be kept together at all it completely depends on the dog and the breed.

There is always a risk of a fight breaking out for various reasons. All you can do is just set a framework for them not to happen. Make sure both dogs respect you and think you are the authority in the house. Make sure they are not getting posessive over anything. Any sign of agression should be corrected.

Orion's right on the money ;) Introduce them in a neutral place and let them play. Take a pocketful of treats with you. Be sure you always give your first dog his share first, but make him respect the puppy - don't allow him to take the pup's treats, food, etc.

It's a good idea to have some new toys for the new pup, and give your first dog something new of his own at the same time.

You really shouldn't have a problem. Most dogs are good with puppies. The one thing that might happen is that your first dog may avoid the new pup for awhile. When we brought Shiva home, Bimmer stayed out of her reach for about ten days . . . even to staying on the back of the sofa, lol!

vegas

Thank for your help.

I have a female now and am getting a male.

I thought i should leave them alone in the garden for a while but clearly that would be wrong.

My female dog wouldn't harm a fly, she doesn't even chase cats but u guys are great, thank u , i will let them meet each other in the garden.

Fingers crossed.

Fran27

It's awesome that you decided to go for another dog :) Please let us know how it goes!

I still can't convince my husband here :(

Members online

No members online now.