Thinking about breeding my "mutt"

Fran27

Dizzy took the words right out of my mouth - you can just never have the same mutt twice. That, plus frankly would you give your puppies to people who don't even seem that interested in having a dog in the first place? What will they do when they realize that the puppies are nowhere like their mom? Having a puppy is something that should be throughoutly thought for, not a spur-of-the-moment thing just because someone is breeding their cute dog.

bubbatd

I don't believe in mixed breeding, for the sake of wanting pups. Where would you find a sire ? Certainly not from a pure bred. So you would end up with a mixed litter every possible good and bad genetics. Plus all the last posted problems. GOOD litters take many, many weeks of time and money. Really, it's not worth your pup's health or your time and money . You, your family and friends would do better getting a pup from the HS. You will never get a clone. We don't want to drive you away, so please post questions and keep an open mind.

Sheka

if ur dog has 2 puppies thats 2 possible homes wasted on ur pups instead of ones that need homes in shelters

pup-man said:
I'm thinking about breeding my "mix" in the future. I have more than plenty of homes for them ... most are friends and relatives and I plan on keeping one.

I'm already in the process of ordering books. I plan on getting "test" done for them. I'm capable of paying any "out of the ordinary" fees or bills I may incur doing this.

Would this make me an irresponsible breeder? I'm obviously not breeding to "better the breed"..... she's a poodle mix. I don't plan on doing anything for a long time though... just wanted to hear everybodys opinions or suggestions about this.
Any suggestion and advice for breeding mutts has allready been answered in the Breeding ground area, just peruse the threads and search if you need to.

I can think of no responable reason to breed more mutts.

Kenzie

pupman

pupman, maybe your friends saying they only want a dog if it's one of your puppies are just saying that as a compliment to your dog,and they're not really serious about having a dog; that's evident by them refusing to even consider a rescue. How will you feel when you take the chance of breeding your dog, and God forbid something happens to her and you lose her, all because you wanted one like her, and your friends did too? Or, how will you feel if all goes well, you have puppies, and come to find out that your friends who willingly accepted a pup, decide down the road to get rid of it because it's not what they expected. You'll never know what becomes of that puppy from your bitch. Really consider these things as they are possibilities/probabilities, is your doggy's life worth taking those chances? Please give it more consideration and keep us updated.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Theres thousands of mutts in shelters, foster homes and on death row. Encourage those people who want a pup from your female to adopt please.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
why dont u foster a litter from a animal shelter and then you can realise how hard it is to bring up a litter and then u can advise the pups to ure friends.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.... I will implement them and see what happens. :)

paulb

Breeding your mutt

Yes, this makes you an irresponsible breeder!! Rescues and humane societies are full of "mutts" and non registered dogs. The dogs need to be a family member not just a mutt.

A responsible breeder does not have breed just "to better the breed", but they need to breed quality registered puppies from quality parents. A quality registered puppy has a better chance of having a lifelong good home than a mutt.

Please do the right thing and think about NOT breeding your mutt.

Guide to Dog Breeding Business: www.howtobreeddogs.com

Paul

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Firstly Pupman, I think you're a bloody legend for coming on here and asking informed questions so that you make the right decision.

Apart from the obvious `PLEASE don't do it' advice I have, I know they're your friends and you trust them, but it's soooo easy to say, `Yeah of course I'll have a puppy from you' and then turn around and say `well, ahh, I know I SAID I would, but you know, the time's just not right, sorry' and then before you know it you have a litter on your hands that are most likely to end up at a shelter.

Friends who won't have a rescue dog because they only `want one like yours or not at all' are friends who are going to turn around and say `well, it's not like yours after all so I don't want it anymore'. They don't want a dog for the right reasons - a dog is a companion, a living, breathing creature that needs care and love and LOTS and LOTS of attention - it's not an accessory, which is how it sounds with your friends.

Also, for you personally - are you comfortable giving up one of your puppies to people who have no interest (apparently) in dog welfare, but just `want one that looks like yours'?

Do not rely on what people say - I'm not dissing your friends here, as I don't know them, but it just doesn't sound right to me.

As for you - you already know in your heart that you should not be breeding this dog - you said yourself that you came on here for someone to talk you out of it. So, I'm doing my best to talk you out of it. DON'T do it - as Steve said, why don't you foster a litter from a shelter - that way you'll get everything you want and you'll be helping some of the poor, homeless puppies in the world, too. Puppies that no doubt started out as an idea in someone's head - like yours - and then the reality ended up being too much, and bang, another six lives thrown away.

Just remember, creating life is not something to be taken lightly - once born, those puppies are your responsibility FOR EVER. Despite where and how you may home them. YOU made them, YOU are responsible for them - do you think you can do that? And do you want their lives on your conscience for the 12-14 years that they will live? As well as all the puppies that may result from them, if you give them to people with the same idea as you?

If you are happy to spend `thousands' as you say, give it to a rescue - goodness knows they need the money more than they'll need another six or seven puppies born into an already overpopulated and unforgiving world.

Watch this video http://www.brightlion.com/inhope.aspx

and then decide whether you need to bring another dog into this world.

I'm sure the breeder of those puppies never thought that would happen to the puppies they brought into the world either.

I don't understand the average persons need to breed. If I had a top ranked dog, sure.... MAYBE, MAYBE, I'd breed to better the breed, but still.....

maybe it's just me. I for one am sick of seeing animals euthanized. It's a really soft spot for me right now. :(

Sheka

I adopted Kya and Charlie, Charlie is a pure bichon-frise and he was going to be put to sleep the next day, A BICHON FRISE PUPPY! that goes to show you how many great pets are PTS evreyday. Kya i also adopted and was going to be PTS in 2 HOURS, so I "fostered" her and I couldnt possibly love her more even if she was from my own dog so i joined the F.F.C (foster-failure club). I cant imagine that if i did the irresponsible thing and went to a petstore for 2 dogs then both Charlie and Kya would probably be dead.

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
IMO, there are WAAAAAY too many "mutts" in shelters to be intentionally breeding more. I agree, go visit a shelter.

Here is my list. This is a list of what the parents should have or have done before you ever even CONSIDER to breed them:

-Health checks....CEA, Hip Displasia, mange (just to name a few).
-Some kind of title/championship and a really good performance record.
-Near perfect temperament
-Purebreds

Mike_SK

I agree with Rubylove -- its awesome of you to ask first and get informed before doing it (although hopefully you don't). I think that if you continue doing your research you'll come to the right conclusion.

Members online

No members online now.