These Dogs Good 2gether?

I am planning to get a large property near the mountains, and my mind has some dogs that i want.
I don't know if they would all get along, so I'm asking you. These are the dogs I want and what dog inspired me to get them.
Australian Shepard, I was encouraged by a friend's dog, Snoopy; Beagle, so cute and grew up with a babysitter who had one named Mollie; Bassett Hound, funny adorable pooches, a friend's named Alice; Last but not least, I am deciding between a Yorkie, a Chorkie, or a Golden Retriever, for the golden it would be Max, and the others just because their cute.
Don't yell at me, I haven't gotten them and these are only considerations.:yikes:

Maxy24

The Beagle and Bassett should be fine with all other dogs. Aussies are not usually dog aggressive.
Chorkie is not a breed so there is no way to know whether or not he is likely to be bad with other dogs. Yorkies can be dog aggressive because they are terriers, Chihuahuas are usually pretty good with other dogs if socialized to them. So a Chi/Yorkie mix might be good or bad with other dogs depending on whether he acts more like a Chi or a Yorkie in that regard. If you are interested in a mix though you might as well go to the shelter, no reason to get a mixed breed pet from a breeder. Goldens are good with other dogs.

But make sure you research all of these breeds before deciding to get any. Not all dogs act like the majority of the breed and dogs you see on TV or in movies might be nothing like they are on screen in real life. If you'd like some help making sure these breeds are good for you or would like some more suggestions tell us a bit about your lifestyle, what you want in a dog, what behaviors you absolutely cannot have, how much exercise and what kind of exercise you'll be giving the dog, etc. we'd love to help!

Why do you want such a versitle group of dogs?
what do you plan to do with them all? train? work? they are all very differnt.

chorkie is NOT a breed, its just a mutt, made by crappy breeders.

Good to know, crappy breed, OFF the list. Sorry, I spelled it wrong, corkie. I dididn't mean to say it was a breed, I meant it as a way not to say cocker spaniel yorkshire terrier mix...
I am planning on rescuing all of them, aand what I want to do with them would to love them! I don't want them for any particular reason, just because I lovve the breeds and they bring back memories, such as My friends dog snoopy and mollie... they are the ones that really bring back fond memories, and aussies and beagles are so vcute!!! anyway, I will be devoted to them, excercise them daily, and as long as each breed needs. I will most likely not get a yorkie, I'll get a golden. They'll have plenty of room to run and enjoy themselves.
I thought a beagle and a bassett would get along, but what about the whole mix????...

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
If you rescue a basset, make sure they KNOW if it's good with other dogs. I absolutely do not agree with the "The Beagle and Bassett should be fine with all other dogs." above - I have met a ton of nasty bassets (I have a basset and I love them, so definitely not against them lol) - all of them through rescue. They just seem to be a breed that if not socialized right the first time around, can get really dog-aggro. My vet has a rescue basset, and she hates other dogs lol. I thought it was weird until I thought about how many nasty bassets I've actually met... just do your research :) Mine's 10 now and has never been in a fight where she's had anything to do with it, it just depends on the individual. They're very sensitive, and I think once they've been beat up on once they tend to kind of not trust other dogs...

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
If you rescue a basset, make sure they KNOW if it's good with other dogs. I absolutely do not agree with the "The Beagle and Bassett should be fine with all other dogs." above - I have met a ton of nasty bassets (I have a basset and I love them, so definitely not against them lol) - all of them through rescue. They just seem to be a breed that if not socialized right the first time around, can get really dog-aggro. My vet has a rescue basset, and she hates other dogs lol. I thought it was weird until I thought about how many nasty bassets I've actually met... just do your research :) Mine's 10 now and has never been in a fight where she's had anything to do with it, it just depends on the individual. They're very sensitive, and I think once they've been beat up on once they tend to kind of not trust other dogs...
agreed---I have met some nasty beagles as well. In general, they should be good with others, but it is always about the individuals!

Dogs6

Plus One

I agree. My friends beagle is very sweet to male dogs but she is same sex aggressive

Would the hounds catch a scent and be gone if running loose on a lot of land?
Yes. Scent hounds are bred to follow scents and that's exactly what they'd do. Growing up my dad let our beagles run free though. Our basset too. They eventually came home but I can only imagine all the problems they could have run into.

I'd suggest investing in a nice sturdy hogwire fence. It's cheaper than chain-link but would be just perfect for dogs of beagle size or larger. It's what we used growing up and it's what I'll use again when I get my own place. :)

Thanks! I wasn't planning on letting the hounds run around, I was planning on building a large backyard (with sturdy fences, don't want them gettin' out!lol). And I was going to see like how the dogs do wit other dogs, and get one, then introduce it to the one I want to adopt and see if they get along and the same with the others. I'm now thinking about getting a pit bull instead of a golden because I think the black ones are so cute, and I feel bad about them gettin a bad rap and everything (especially with it I will see if he'll get along with all of the others.

milos_mommy

It is not very common for pit bulls to get along with other dogs. Occasionally they do, but most don't. A pit bull's prey drive can kick in at almost any time, so if you do own a pit bull or other breed where dog aggression is common, you need to be prepare to "crate and rotate" or keep your dog's separately at all times.

An adult pit bull will have a more stable temperament, so your best bet to adding a pit bull into a multi-dog family would be to adopt a dog over the age of 4 or so. Once they reach sexual maturity, it will be easier to know if they'll get along with other dogs, but you have to be prepared for that change at any time.

If you adopt an adult dog, you'll have some idea of how they are with other dogs. If you get a puppy, the best bet is to know the breed you're getting very well and socializing it properly with lots of other dogs of all shapes and sizes and temperaments (making sure your dog is safe and has good experiences) and training it to have good manners around other dogs.

Maura

I think you need to come at this question from the front rather than from the back. A beagle is happiest following his nose, but you are going to pen him up and not hunt him, for instance. What do you see yourself doing with your dog(s)? If you want them to accompany you around the homestead off leash, then invest in a dog that tends to stay near you and near the homestead. If you are planning on leaving them in the fenced in yard all day and all night I think you would be happier with a cat.

I just find it so strange that someone would be planning on getting a specific breed because they are "so cute", or "bring back memories". Unless you are a kid, in which case it makes more sense.

milos_mommy

I just find it so strange that someone would be planning on getting a specific breed because they are "so cute", or "bring back memories". Unless you are a kid, in which case it makes more sense.
Unfortunate, maybe, but not very "strange". It's probably the most common reason people get a dog. They don't get a specific breed because they fit in with their lifestyle, they get the dog because it's cute or they see it on TV or someone else they know has one and loves it.

Ivy

I have a couple of bassets and a beagle and all get along very well. But yes, I have to agree that you can't say ALL are friendly with other dogs. It all depends on how they are raised and socialized.
All of my hounds are friendly even when I have foster dogs coming in and out of the house. They are very patient with eachother and foster dogs.
I have an out door dog run as well (they are not in there all the time). They get walks eveyday, but even then sometimes my basset mix doesn't wan't to come back inside (he want's to stay in the dog run)
Also, my other basset is never on a leash while on the property. He doesn't run off but yes sometimes he pretends he's deaf when I'm calling him back to go inside so you need to take that into consideration.

Members online

No members online now.