Nutrition noob question/problem

So buster has always alternated between having soft serve type poops and solid poop on science diet puppy brand large breed. And i was recently making a switch to this stuff that is made in maryland called BillJack that my roomate has had some good experiences with, with all his dogs. Well he got some nasty passings and i took him to the vet. They put him on metronidenzol incase he had worms (said they couldn't tell because whip and hook type worms go through egg shedding cycles so they wanted to be safe) and put him on ID canned dog food. Well he hated the stuff, but ate it. and had good solid poop. He was on that for 2 days like the vet said, and then i went back to switching him over to the billjack brand. His poop was loose like it was before he went on the ID. now the simple solution is that i should just put him on ID, but that is a bit pricey for me. Might mixing in some rice in with his regular chow help him keep regular? Are there any brands that someone might suggest i try instead of this bill jack or science diet? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

Oh and for an update. Buster is 7 months now! and 50lbs! still my energetic bugger and loves to go swimming! Oh and he's acted himself through all this loose stool ect things. Never lost his energy or anything.

DoggyDaze

Formerly DoglessInSeattle
Jeeper,

CeCe normally experiences a couple days of loose movements when I change her food. How long did you try the new food for? Some people recommend making a gradual change by mixing the new food with the old food and gradually increasing the fraction of new food over a period of days until you are completely switched over.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Personally?

There are better foods out there than biljack and Science Diet (even the prescription formulas).
He could be reacting to a dozen things in the food.
It could be a grain allergy, a protein allergy...it could be anything. Heck, he could have just needed some time to adjust to the Biljack.

I know there are some here who either feed Biljack or used to. So there are definitely worse foods out there than that, BUT your little guy sounds like he's having a hard time digesting it properly.

It's hard to be unbiased with dog foods.
But here's a site that has helped A LOT of people learn about dog foods. what's good and what's not.
The Dog Food Project
The site is run by a member here (er, well I don't know if she actively posts here anymore or not).

Maxy24

I looked at the ingredients for bil-jac and that's nasty food, so is Science Diet (i don't care what the vets say).

Look for Canidae, Innova, California Natural, Timber Wolf Organics and take a look around this section of the forum. Canidae will be your best bet for something less expensive and it is all life stages food.

here you can find a store that sells Canidae near you: http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Science Diet and Bil-Jac are both low quality foods that are notorious for large pudding poops. The food is chocked full of corn and various by-products that aren't good for dogs.

I would recommend switching to a high quality food. Some great brands are Orijen, Innova, Canidae, Wellness, Timberwolf Organics, and Artemis. There are SO many out there, and I've only listed a few.

A good link to check out is:

www.dogfoodproject.com

thanks a bunch, i knew yall would have the answers, hense why i came here. ill pass on the info to my roomate and give him the rest of my biljack so he can make the choice on his own and i didn't waste my cash! Im not totally biased on spending some $'s on my dogs food, i know it's important. But, im an EMT lol we don't get paid what we should get paid in PA.

Members online

No members online now.