Am I overreacting? Please advice

moxiegrl

When I was on the computer a couple hours ago Katie was in her cage(willingly the gate was open) next to me where she always is when Im on the computer. I heard her gagging, like she was going to throw up, but she swallowed it instead of coughing it up. She's done this before...but she kept doing it so I got worried and went to the door of her cage and she just layed there. I went in and she came over and just layed on me. A little bit later I got out and went in the kitchen. I heard her doing it again so I went back in there and called my bf at work. He said she just might not feel good, and she'll be fine. Again she just layed on me. I went into the bedroom and she followed me and snuggled up with me on the bed and tried to sleep. When she sleeps she doesnt like to be bugged. She is a loving dog, but never really snuggles up close to me like that. She didnt eat this morning, but we free-feed mostly and she never over indulges. Before I noticed she felt bad earlier I tried to give her one of her bone marrow bones, and she didn't want it. That shouldve said something she loves her bones. Maybe Im overreacting and she just doesnt feel great. We have the house puppy proved and there is nothing she couldve got into. But last night she took a piece of pineapple off the table, could that have hurt her?? That's all she's had thats unusual. She hasnt really been drinking either today. Any advice please welcome. Sorry so long. Amy

Saje

Island dweller
Is she eliminating like normal?

You should call your vet and ask for advice

moxiegrl

She just went outside and peed and pooped. How would she get kennel cough? The place we got her from was quarantined for Kennel Cough, but she wasnt there until after it was quarantined. I'll give the vet a quick call just to see what they say.

moxiegrl

I guess I was overreacting, she seems to be feeling better. I called the vet and they said just to watch her and if any massive vomiting or diarreah call them back or take her to the emergency clinic after hours. She started playing though, and walking around like normal again. The vet said to use "mommy instinct". I know she felt bad though, I just didnt know why. im going to keep watching her to see and hope she's fully back to normal by tomorrow. She hates the vet...

LoveKayla

Did you recently dive her a new food? I dont think pineapple is bad for them... maybe she ate something in the yard that her tummy didnt like..?

Glad shes sounder better - hope it stays away.

dirtmcgirt

Keeper of a Corso & Saint
Glad to hear that she is doing better..

The reason that I said it sounded like Kennel Cough was because it sounded like the same thing that we went through..

We had Rhueben for a couple of weeks and noticed that he was doing the gradual gagging and hacking up stuff. It was bad, but not terrible. He had already had his kennel cough vaccine, and hadn't been around any dogs for a while, so we just knew that he didn't have it... Until it kept getting worse and I took him to the vet. Yep he had it, and it wasn't long after that that every dog on our block had it, without even being around him..

Tugger's Mom

Yes, He's A Beagle
We had a bout with throwing up .... it was after Tugger was neutered. He's done it a total of 3 times now. The first one, we didn't catch--it was in the middle of the night...and before we could get to him from our bed to the crate, he had eaten it. (The smell was horrible though!) The next time was a week or so later, he threw up clear, almost gel like vomit....and again, I raced to him--but he ate it. So....it was back to the vet. He said his stomach was sensitive so he gave us some medicine to stop him from vomiting. He's only vomited once since...and it was at night...and he chucked and we caught it and could see it was his food. That's why we're weaning him on to natural food now versus the dreaded "Puppy Chow" the breeder started him on.

Is your dog eating grass? Ours was and that was another sign that his stomach was tender and upset.

Glad to hear she seems back to normal. We don't have children...so I am aways over-reacting! LOL!!!
;)

moxiegrl

I have never seen her eat grass, the cats eat it though all the time. I went to school last night, and I called home to check in on her and bf said you could never tell she didn't feel good earlier. I have no kids either, so of course we have to over-react. :)

Members online

No members online now.