I SOOO hope there is more to this story:(

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
A neighbor hanging Christmas lights alerted the dog's owner, Al Phillips, that he was getting a ticket, police said. Phillips and Colonel came out of the house and the dog ran down toward the officer, police said.
"He shot the dog, and then he just quite calmly returned to writing the ticket, like nothing had happened,†Phillips told WGN-Channel 9.
“I could see if the dog was big and ferocious and ran up to him and was growly and barking and biting," she said. "But when a dog walks out, it’s wagging its tail — you pull out a gun and start shooting, in a North Side, quiet neighborhood, we have a bigger problem than a puppy getting shot."

I don't think there is much more to the story.How very awful. Thankfully Colonel will survive (according to this story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...of-dog-on-north-side-20121204,0,1085136.story).

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'm totally floored that this is acceptable in any but life threatening circumstances. And that they cited them for having an off leash dog.

What if the officer was approached by a friendly, calm, loose horse and responded by shooting it? Or a cow? Somehow I doubt it would be brushed off as easily as the dog shootings, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

The other thing that makes me so angry about the callousness and offhanded disregard is the danger it puts everyone in the area in, when weapons are discharged in urban neighborhoods. There is just no need, and I don't know what the solution is since nobody in authority wants to take it seriously and hold anyone accountable.

chaospony

That is beyond horrendous. Why oh why are there so many stories like this these days? Police departments need to do some serious work and bring in a behaviorist or something and teach these cops what a threatening dog looks like and acts like. And possibly how to defuse a situation without using a gun on one :(

Members online

No members online now.