Hunger Games

lizzybeth727

But I thought most of her apparent "weakness" in the second and third books had a whole lot more to do with PTSD than it did with genuine romantic problems.
I actually appreciated that the author spent so much time on the PTSD stuff. Most authors are all "The character is so strong that she can power through extremely traumatic situations with no lasting effects!" which is terribly unrealistic.

Not that there's a whole lot of realism in the series.

lizzybeth727

I always see "Peeta" and think of the Judy Blume series of Fudge books... the baby says Peter's name "Pee-tah" because, well, it's a baby. So I think of somebody who can't say Peter...
Yeah, I thought about that too! Until I heard it out loud and it made me think of pita bread. Then every time I read his name I craved hummus. *yum*

Tahla9999

Well, it's not like I heard the author say it or anything, but I figured:

Peeta: Sounds like Pita. Like the bread.

Katniss: The plant is basically exactly like the person. Leaves shaped like an arrow, lives in the water, strong roots, AND pretty flowers.

Gale: Dark and stormy. Even a bit destructive.

Primrose: Small, bright, delicate flower.

YA fiction is usually pretty in-your-face with symbolism.
I got the Peeta reference. Katniss is just a horrible name for a person.:eek:

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I loved the first one but the 2nd one's bothering me so far. I think I might hate Katniss. At first I thought "she is so selfish" but.... it's not like she's selfish, she's always thinking of her family, but it's like.... The ONE persons who really deserves for her to be selfless for is who she is selfish about! If that makes sense? Idk I feel the need to read through these REALLY quickly so I can just know whether or not things turn out the way I hope they don't but probably will hahaha

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I loved the first one but the 2nd one's bothering me so far. I think I might hate Katniss. At first I thought "she is so selfish" but.... it's not like she's selfish, she's always thinking of her family, but it's like.... The ONE persons who really deserves for her to be selfless for is who she is selfish about! If that makes sense? Idk I feel the need to read through these REALLY quickly so I can just know whether or not things turn out the way I hope they don't but probably will hahaha
I don't know. To the extent I paid attention to the romance part, yes, Peeta did a lot for her . . . but she was also put in a position, partially by him, where she is sort of "obligated" to love him. She also got to know him during the worst experience of her life. Frankly, I don't blame her for not warming up to him. Its not fair, but I sure can understand how she would not be head over heels in love with him and would, in fact, prefer to avoid him. (honestly, if they'd not made it a triangle with Gale, it would have worked better . . . because they could have focused on just that issue)

Not to mention that she's a little nuts now.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Yeah if I was in her place I think I would cling on to whatever memories I had back home, and her memories were of growing up and hunting with her best friend Gale. I don't blame her for trying to hold on to the hope of everything going back to normal, and that would mean getting to see Gale again. However, she needed someone nicer and more lighthearted then Gale, he had too much anger inside him, it would be a scary match

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I'm about 2/3 through "Mockingjay". It's moving along pretty well. I'll be away on a business trip when the movie comes out, so I think I'll get killed by my daughter if I see it while I'm away (i.e. without her), so I'll likely be seeing it during Easter week.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
OH MY FREAKING GAWWWWWD!!! I am so stupid. I got mockingjay on kindle and I don't usually use a kindle so I accidentally pressed the wrong button and instead of reading the first page. I read the first page OF THE EPILOGUE!!!! Now everything is ruined, I know how it ends and I'm really upset that I ruined it for myself. :( this sucks, I'm sticking with real books....

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
OH MY FREAKING GAWWWWWD!!! I am so stupid. I got mockingjay on kindle and I don't usually use a kindle so I accidentally pressed the wrong button and instead of reading the first page. I read the first page OF THE EPILOGUE!!!! Now everything is ruined, I know how it ends and I'm really upset that I ruined it for myself. :( this sucks, I'm sticking with real books....
Yeah, but how they get there, etc. is the story.

I finished Mockingjay in a day (started it Saturday night, finished it Sunday night). It was the hardest of the three to put down.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Ohh....that sucks. There's still a lot of interesting stuff that happens in the book so try not to let it ruin it for you too much!

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Ok... what EXACTLY is the Hunger Games??

I've seen the movie trailer but don't know what it really is lol

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Ok... what EXACTLY is the Hunger Games??

I've seen the movie trailer but don't know what it really is lol
Basically - post-apocalyptic North America. Divided into 12 districts and every year, two kids are randomly chosen from each district and they're thrown into an arena to fight to the death - this event is called The Hunger Games. Last one standing is the winner. The first book tells the story of one of the Games. :)

lizzybeth727

LOL, I read the first book and was so upset by it I swore off the whole series. But it bugged me not to know how it ended, so I looked up spoilers. I didn't learn every detail, but I did get the skeleton version of the last two books. And then I decided to go ahead and read them.

But yeah, A LOT of stuff happens between the end of the second book and the epilogue of the third book.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Hahaha thanks guys yeah I ended up still reading it all in one day, could NOT put it down even though I knew how it ended. Tons of crazy unexpected stuff still happened so I was like :eek: the whole time hahahahahaha!

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Basically - post-apocalyptic North America. Divided into 12 districts and every year, two kids are randomly chosen from each district and they're thrown into an arena to fight to the death - this event is called The Hunger Games. Last one standing is the winner. The first book tells the story of one of the Games. :)
Okay, gotcha.
Now I want to read the books. And will definitely see the movie.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I'm starting the first book right now! Didn't read through the thread, but just wanted to let everyone know just in case I come back as an addict.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm starting the first book right now! Didn't read through the thread, but just wanted to let everyone know just in case I come back as an addict.
You will! :p

Haha my sister did NOT like it in the beginning.... but she's finished the first one now and is just as hooked as I am!

RD

Are you dead yet?
I just read the hunger games on the plane on my way to ohio. Really liked it actually. Cried over Rue. T.T

Members online

No members online now.