Doggy hiking bag?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
was wondering if anyone who hikes with their dogs has ever used a pack for their dogs? Here is a website for one incase i'm not making any sense:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ding=UTF8&n=3400531&s=sporting-goods&v=glance

Lucas is in good shape, we go for a long walk in the evenings, when it's cooler, and Chloe seems to be in OK shape. I don't intend to go hiking right now since Chloe is still getting over the Parvo, although she is doing much better and her energy is almost completely back. I would also have to get her up to a good condition, so I won't be going hiking for a while. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a doggy hiking bag and if they had any recomendations?
I want to go hiking up in the woods, where it usually is pretty cool, and take Chloe and Lucas with me. I would have them both on leash and someone else, at least one person, would be coming with me. Lucas has been in the woods before and he actually listens really good. Anyways I just want to hear from anyone that has ever used a doggy backpack about how you liked them. Are they not good? Are they useful? I need to lessen the weight on my back a little.

I have one. I take Boomer and Carry on long walks in the mountains when I can get a ride from someone. It is useful because thats where I carry all of Boomer's water, food, first aid, treats, etc. I think its a great idea as long as your dog doesn't have any medical problems such as arthritis or something.

-Jon

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
I've been doing some research on these things for a while since I am a hardcore outdoorswoman,and love backpacking long distance.(no way am I carrying all of mine AND his food :eek: :D ) The best I have found so far are by mountain hardware. They have great padding and are made of the same stuff people backpacks are made of so they have pretty good wear in them. Sunny is still too young for one (they say atleast a year old before they should be wearing them loaded) but people I have talked to all say the same thing : They are awesome. Plus it supposedly gives the dog a "job" when they have it on, so if you have a breed that needs a job, this can help accomplish it for them...just what I have heard, no experience there yet, like I said. I can comment on the booties though, they are pretty important for long treks, snow/ice,and rocky terrain. Good luck shopping, and have fun :) OOH, maybe love4pits knows something about these things?! I bet she does, maybe pm her. Hope I was some help anyway :D

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Sunnypup said:
I've been doing some research on these things for a while since I am a hardcore outdoorswoman,and love backpacking long distance.(no way am I carrying all of mine AND his food :eek: :D ) The best I have found so far are by mountain hardware. They have great padding and are made of the same stuff people backpacks are made of so they have pretty good wear in them. Sunny is still too young for one (they say atleast a year old before they should be wearing them loaded) but people I have talked to all say the same thing : They are awesome. Plus it supposedly gives the dog a "job" when they have it on, so if you have a breed that needs a job, this can help accomplish it for them...just what I have heard, no experience there yet, like I said. I can comment on the booties though, they are pretty important for long treks, snow/ice,and rocky terrain. Good luck shopping, and have fun :) OOH, maybe love4pits knows something about these things?! I bet she does, maybe pm her. Hope I was some help anyway :D
Thanks guys. Neither of the two dogs I've got have shown any problems with arthritis or hip displaysia or anything like that, although I haven't had Chloe (the great dane for to long). I think I would get one for Lucas, my Malamute, only because he is the one who is happier when he has a job to do. Chloe is content just being with me and Lucas.
Sunnypup: Thank you for the brand. I will definetly have to look into that. I wasn't really sure which brand to get so your infomation is really helpful. I will also have to look into the booties. Any particular brand for those that are better than others?
Oh and one more question. How much weight should the dogs be carrying? I heard it was 1/3 their body weight, but am not sure about that.
Thanks for the help and I will pm love4pits about it right now.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Oh I have some pictures of the place I will start hiking at. This place is just to start out excercising and getting my dogs used to carrying the packs. It isn't the actual place I would be hiking long distance or anything. But I think it's pretty and it has a few trails that aren't too steep that way Lucas can get use to the pack. It is also within walking distance of my house. :)
Anyways here are two pictures I took a while back:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i can highly recommend the kelty chuckwagon pack.

http://kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Packs.ShowProduct&type=dog&ID=18

the best thing is that it does not have a strap across the shoulders, which can become uncomfortable for the dog.

the regular kelty chuckwagon can not be removed from the harness, and if i had known how handy that can come in, i would have bough the kelty sherpa instead. it's the same model as the chuckwagon, but you can remove the pack and leave the harness on the dog.

i bought this pack on recommendation from someone who got a backpacking title with her dog and know several others who are using it and very happy with it.

Members online

No members online now.