Disc Dog Training

krissy

Okay, this time we are in focus. Also, a lot more space in the barn than my backyard. I think she's starting to like this disc business! :)

[YOUTUBE]S6XBzaqdV7Y[/YOUTUBE]

Sekah

The Monster.
Awesome job, Krissy!

I think disc is really clicking for Cohen these days. She's catching much more consistently (partly because I've gotten way, way better at throwing) and isn't stopping to drop/flip the disc while coming back. Today I noticed her collecting herself to catch off-stride throws, and she seems to have almost given up on her wild and crazy hail mary launches that leave her no chance in hell of actually catching anything.

I've not done any tricks with her lately (still wearing too many layers to comfortably maneuver) but her long game has improved greatly. Her drive for the game is solid now. I'll try to grab a bit of footage next time I'm at the park.

Kootenay

Booo, I really need to buy new discs, all of mine are super chewed up and wonky, don't fly well at all. The shipping is such a kick in the pants! I want to get a bunch of Hero blems, 10 for $60 with a bag as well, but with shipping it will be just about $100 :( . Hard to justify right now but I neeeeeed to have discs around!

DJEtzel

Booo, I really need to buy new discs, all of mine are super chewed up and wonky, don't fly well at all. The shipping is such a kick in the pants! I want to get a bunch of Hero blems, 10 for $60 with a bag as well, but with shipping it will be just about $100 :( . Hard to justify right now but I neeeeeed to have discs around!
Have amazon prime by chance?

I need new discs now too. I bought a bunch of hero blems and I forget which model they are, but they're a very light/thin disc. Recon has a shaped soft mouth and I shouldn't have had to get more for many months, but Patton decided he actually loves frisbee and he has a much harder bite and tighter grip. So now mine are trashed too.

krissy

Are there no disc dog clubs anywhere near you? That's how I've gotten most of my discs (oh and some gently used ones that were donated by Katherine Ferger :)). If you go to an event you can usually buy discs right there and then save the shipping, but I had some discs shipped to me for a lot more reasonable than $40!

DJEtzel

Are there no disc dog clubs anywhere near you? That's how I've gotten most of my discs (oh and some gently used ones that were donated by Katherine Ferger :)). If you go to an event you can usually buy discs right there and then save the shipping, but I had some discs shipped to me for a lot more reasonable than $40!
I've never heard of one, no. :(

Kootenay

Have amazon prime by chance?

I need new discs now too. I bought a bunch of hero blems and I forget which model they are, but they're a very light/thin disc. Recon has a shaped soft mouth and I shouldn't have had to get more for many months, but Patton decided he actually loves frisbee and he has a much harder bite and tighter grip. So now mine are trashed too.
I don't have amazon prime, no. Should I look into it?

Onyx destroys discs pretty fast, we play a lot of tug with them and well, she's a Malinois, she likes to bite, hard. My wallet doesn't appreciate this!

Are there no disc dog clubs anywhere near you? That's how I've gotten most of my discs (oh and some gently used ones that were donated by Katherine Ferger ). If you go to an event you can usually buy discs right there and then save the shipping, but I had some discs shipped to me for a lot more reasonable than $40!
Unfortunately no disc clubs anywhere even remotely near to me. I'm not even sure if there are ANY in BC! I haven't found any yet. I wish there were!

DJEtzel

I don't have amazon prime, no. Should I look into it?

Onyx destroys discs pretty fast, we play a lot of tug with them and well, she's a Malinois, she likes to bite, hard. My wallet doesn't appreciate this!
If you like to shop online, I'd check into it. It's something like $100 a year, but gives you free two day shipping for *most* items(now that I think of it, I'm not sure how it works in Canada), and you can get hero blems there too. BF does a lot of amazon prime shopping and I've come to love it.

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
Tips on training a reverse chest vault?

Circus will do the rebound off my chest but I'm not sure what's the next step and how to teach her to catch a disc while rebounding (and I'm not even sure what angle to throw the disc).

I've tried to watch videos on YouTube (including Pvybe) but it's all happening so fast I can't really tell what's going on. :eek:

SaraB

Tips on training a reverse chest vault?

Circus will do the rebound off my chest but I'm not sure what's the next step and how to teach her to catch a disc while rebounding (and I'm not even sure what angle to throw the disc).

I've tried to watch videos on YouTube (including Pvybe) but it's all happening so fast I can't really tell what's going on. :eek:
I break it down in this video at about 1:30. Start with takes before moving to the actual throw, you see that in the video as well. Put a LOT of spin on that throw and make sure to practice it independent of your dog first. The draw of the disc across your body is necessary for showing the dog where to hit, I show that too.

[YOUTUBE]TtKCa1I1-Cg[/YOUTUBE]

Time to go through this thread! Planning to do some disc with future puppy; but never was one much into it before (agility has always been kind of my thing :p)! So have to get my learn on! :D

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
I break it down in this video at about 1:30. Start with takes before moving to the actual throw, you see that in the video as well. Put a LOT of spin on that throw and make sure to practice it independent of your dog first. The draw of the disc across your body is necessary for showing the dog where to hit, I show that too.
I haven't seen that video of yours yet, thank you so much for sharing! SO HELPFUL! For a trick like this, how many times a week is safe to practice?

SaraB

I haven't seen that video of yours yet, thank you so much for sharing! SO HELPFUL! For a trick like this, how many times a week is safe to practice?
Not really the number of times per week I look at, but rather how many reps in a session and what flooring you are on. I only do maybe 4 or 5 reps then move to something that's not so hard impact.

Also, iI have a lot of unlisted videos done because someone asked for help on something and generally it's just easier to video it than attempt to describe it. So, ya. Always ask and I bet I have a video done already!

Sekah

The Monster.
I got a couple shots of Cohen playing disc last night. I'm really happy with this one. Loot at them pearly whites.

Sekah

The Monster.
Here's another shot from the same session. I'm loving that it looks like spring is finally here. Winter was a real doozy this year.

SaraB

Zuma and Zinga killed it at a USDDN Qualifier yesterday placing first and second in freestyle. This secures my spot for world's, just need to choose which dog to play! Zuma also qualified for toss and fetch.

Sekah

The Monster.
Zuma and Zinga killed it at a USDDN Qualifier yesterday placing first and second in freestyle. This secures my spot for world's, just need to choose which dog to play! Zuma also qualified for toss and fetch.
Wow. Good on you! That's amazing. It's crazy how well you've done in disc. You can't play with both dogs? Is it just too much to handle?

Good luck at Worlds!

SaraB

Wow. Good on you! That's amazing. It's crazy how well you've done in disc. You can't play with both dogs? Is it just too much to handle?

Good luck at Worlds!
USDDN qualifies by the handler, some since I qualified with two dogs, I have to choose which to play at world's. It's a rule that is specific to this venue to allow more handlers to participate. I really like the rule to be honest!

Digging this thread up, because I might have found some discs in my dog drawer, and might have started both the Tollers on stuff yesterday and today... ehehehe, "might" :cool: And it's a pain to hunt through six pages of threads to find it again when I have questions.

Pilot is just on rollers, plus a little 2disc and tugging work like it was any other toy, but Marsh is learning around and drop it and has done a few takes. I can tell he's out of shape because he isn't as willing to jump as he usually is. I played Ultimate in high school and college, so my throwing is pretty decent. Once Marsh has around on cue I think he'll improve very fast, right now I have to lure him around so much that I can't get the roller out ahead of him enough and he's bodily tackling it, lol.

I do have a question, what is the difference between a vault, a reverse vault, and a rebound? OH wait maybe I just figured it out, is a reverse vault and a rebound just the same thing?

Members online

No members online now.