Handstand!

Sekah

The Monster.
That's great. The nice thing about that prop is that you'll be able to move it around to different areas to both make it less stable and move the behaviour away from the wall. Lovely! I'm excited for you!

JacksonsMom

THANK YOU for that new/old video of Cohen! I've got to go looking for a box. I think I needed that visual to understand what you meant about using the less stable box.

Now that Gusto's hug is going so well (I didn't have a toy at the barn the other day, so he showed off by holding a horse brush, which was much heavier than anything he's held!), I'm back to wanting is handstand to become independent.

Here is where we are now. My foot is blocking his head half the time, but he's definitely nose-touching the ground between his front feet pretty deliberately for the click. Once or twice he's gotten so vertical that his feet have come off the wall - I've jackpotted the heck out of it when it has happened, but I know it wasn't obvious to him what the deal was. I think with the idea of the box, I have somewhere to go now (once I find a box).

[YOUTUBE]SK5E5vIMW6A[/YOUTUBE]
Wow, Gusto looks fantastic!

Jackson's feet did the same thing the other day, where they came off the stack of books we're using and I jackpotted it like crazy but like you said, I don't even think he knew what he did.

That video of Cohen with the box is great! That will definitely be my next step now. I tried to have him do it against just the wall today and I think it's a bit too soon. He did lift one back foot up against the wall and knew where to go.

Today I used a mini plastic storage drawer type thing instead of a stack of books, and it's the highest he's backed up yet, and he did it with ease, so yay for progress!

Sekah

The Monster.
Posting our new video!

[YOUTUBE]CTsianZmLvE[/YOUTUBE]

I'm fading the lure, tossing the treat forward a bit and offering the slightest bit of support for her rear to get her walking past the first few steps more consistently.

I'm sort of imagining this becoming a walking handstand all around me as I sit/stand in the middle. Maybe one day I'll get her moving towards a target or something to get her going straight. Choices choices!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
That's amazing, Sekah!!!!!

I actually thought about trying to train a walking one, as when I was trying to work something the other day (I forget what LOL) Jari tried offering a handstand when we were totally not even near a wall. Your video may have officially convinced me to try :p

JacksonsMom

Posting our new video!

[YOUTUBE]CTsianZmLvE[/YOUTUBE]

I'm fading the lure, tossing the treat forward a bit and offering the slightest bit of support for her rear to get her walking past the first few steps more consistently.

I'm sort of imagining this becoming a walking handstand all around me as I sit/stand in the middle. Maybe one day I'll get her moving towards a target or something to get her going straight. Choices choices!
That's so awesome! How long did this take you to train up to this point?

Sekah

The Monster.
Cheers everyone! Thanks for the comments! Part of the fun of training for me is getting the chance to share it! :D

That's so awesome! How long did this take you to train up to this point?
It's been a long time. Looking back on Youtube, my first handstand video was February 2011. So, it's been almost exactly 3 years that I've been taking videos. I imagine plenty of people can do it much, much faster than I have though. As I've said before, I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing, and we had plenty of dead ends when it came to training. Not to mention, Cohen is ~38 pounds and lacks a tail to act as ballast.

It's one of those tricks that's constantly in the works. I've been working on it a bit more conscientiously lately, but it's always there somewhere in the background.

headstand

Hi,

When my dog Krystal came to live with me from the shelter, I accidently used a word that commanded her to go into a little circus routine. It was clear she'd been trained to do this by her previous owner. She's 10 pounds and a Westie/Poodle mix.

She was so thrilled to show off for me, and very sure this would make a real difference in our relationship--it was our first night together. Unfortunately I have no idea what I said to "command" her to do that routine. I've never been able to get her to do it again.

After 7 years all that remains is that she can stand on her hind legs easily and with a treat in my hand she'll follow my hand while twirling in a circle to get her treat.

Thanks for reminding me of her circus routine story, maybe I can figure out how to trigger it by doing some trick training like this! I'll let you know what we uncover.

BostonBanker

Cohen is so amazing. What a cool girl, and you do so many neat things with her!

Here's Gusto, trying to be as cool. He's not using anything to get up (obviously) although he's not really staying up either. The thing we are having trouble with is that he wants something to target with his feet, even if he doesn't balance on it. If we are in a wide open space, he tries to use me. Here he's obviously using the treadmill. For now, I figure I'll just keeping taking it - I'm really happy with where he is with the trick!

[YOUTUBE]hO2D2OlYP6w[/YOUTUBE]

BostonBanker

Drat, this video is a little blurry for some reason, but he did such a nice job I wanted to share it anyway!

[YOUTUBE]DKLZcNdF7II[/YOUTUBE]

Sekah

The Monster.
WOW! The ones around 0.35 and 1.05 are great! Well, it's all good. I can't believe how fast you guys are progressing. I'm not sure if it's feasible, but see if you can reward in position. (I never figured out a good way to do this.) Or start trying to utilize a release word, or even a bridging cue. You guys are awesome. So impressed! :3

k9krazee

Cohen is AWESOME! I love the walking handstand!

AND GUSTO!! He totally gets it!!!

Crossbone & I have been working on this periodically. We started wall stuff months ago but I got bored with it and never really made it very far. I like immediate gratification and this trick is totally not.

But I have started again and have been using my hand like a target. I took a short video tonight before the camera died (ugh) and the last one he doesn't touch me at all! I see progress each session & it's amazing.

I have, however, created a small problem. He likes to be ON me, like climbing up my arm or leg and I need to be luring it. We're working on it.

[YOUTUBE]E-FvhNGDj8E[/YOUTUBE]

k9krazee

Progress! I've started using a target (but should be better about rewarding when his head is down and he still is better when my hand is actually there).

[YOUTUBE]KnofnlHlPGE[/YOUTUBE]

Sekah

The Monster.
HE'S SO HAPPY!

Great work! He's coming along marvelously! I'm constantly amazed by how quickly Crossbone picks up these advanced behaviours. A Very Good Dog. :)

JacksonsMom

Wow, Crossbone looks fabulous!

We just moved on from the pile of books and now have him going up against a large cardboard box, I put a blanket over it to prevent his feet from slipping!

Excuse his messy 'do.

[YOUTUBE]yPcYdqFJZzE[/YOUTUBE]

BostonBanker

Crossbone and Jackson look FANTASTIC! I've given Gusto a couple of days off from this trick; I was starting to hold out for longer periods of staying up, and he's gotten very frustrated. So we are playing with bow for a few days as a mental break. I might see what we've got tomorrow if the weather stays as miserable as it has been!

JacksonsMom

Moving on to other objects. I am not sure how to start fading out the lure. We're still very much in the beginning stages but unsure how to go about starting.

[YOUTUBE]hQZnavXubDg[/YOUTUBE]

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
You guys are all so much better than me. I'm so inconsistent :rofl1:

And OMG crossbone, seriously. just... :hail:

At this point Talon is able to do it against the square carpeted board I have David hold in the air. I think I'm going to start rewarding for any movement off of the board and see how that goes.

Members online

No members online now.